Is Wilson losing their marketing edge?

Just playing Devil's advocate here, but why is there all this comparison of X2 + subs vs XLF? Why not X2 + subs vs XLF + subs?

For sure. XLF and a pair of Thors Hammer :)

Just playing Devil's advocate here, but why is there all this comparison of X2 + subs vs XLF? Why not X2 + subs vs XLF + subs?

The reason (for me) is 2-fold: 1) the cost of XLF vs X2...i'd rather spend on the subs and b) i was hoping the bass would be far superior with XLF. I still need to spend more time in the room...but i have now gone back. Same conclusion...think the amps are part of it...and the room. i do know X1s well and to a lesser degree X2s...and the setup is what takes it from good to great...and great to sensational. so still reserving final judgment.

Just for the record, as they say, Overture has clients from Florida to Alaska, Maine to Southern California, & just about everywhere in between. We do not "aggressively"sell into any market. Before we sell to a customer outside of our market we make sure they (a) don't have a local dealer, (B) if they do have a local dealer they need to physically come to our store for a demo on the components they are interested in. That is perfectly ethical for Overture or any dealer. Many customers ,especially NYC customers are not pleased with the way they are or have been treated by their local dealers. Their words, not mine. They have taken the time to drive to Delaware (other clients fly into see us) to visit Overture because of our selection, our reputation for getting great sound and for treating our customers the way customers should be treated. If you want to beat sales tax there are lot's of ways to do it. You don't have to come to Delaware. Also, Overture is not a "Big" discount store. I have been in retailing for 50 years. Big discounts are a one way street to "empty walletsville". In the 20 years that Overture has been open, we have NEVER, NEVER had one infraction of any dealer agreement. We have been "accused" by certain dealers many times. In each case it was BS. I am always available to speak to anyone that would that has any questions about Overture, audio equipment or their particular system. Thanks to Coppy for the kind words. Terry Menacker, Overture. 302 478 6050, 1 800 838 1812.

At first I thought they were going to fight it out... Was going to ask the maintenance crew for some barbed wire to drape around the room.... :)

IMG_5565.JPG

If you can't beat them, join them.

The Wilson Alexx speakers were the best room at Axpona to me. I was underwhelmed by the Magico room. I love the construction of the Magico speakers but their sound does not sound like real music to my ears.

Another thing that bothers me is that I approached Alon in a very friendly manner at Axpona and he was pretty cool. He has lots of attitude. You would think that at a show he would at least be in friendly sales mode. It left me cold. Maybe he was having a bad day but several others noted it.

The Wilson Alexx speakers were the best room at Axpona to me. I was underwhelmed by the Magico room. I love the construction of the Magico speakers but their sound does not sound like real music to my ears.

Another thing that bothers me is that I approached Alon in a very friendly manner at Axpona and he was pretty cool. He has lots of attitude. You would think that at a show he would at least be in friendly sales mode. It left me cold. Maybe he was having a bad day but several others noted it.

Funny you should say that--I have never heard Magicos deliver what I am expecting to hear from a prestigious brand either--but hey lots of "Philes dig them so horses for courses

Incidentally re you comment on Mr Wolf--at CES 5 years ago I was sitting listening to the demo and never said a word just observing and listening---

he obviously thought I did not look like a prospective customer and asked me to leave the room--never been a fan since

BruceD

Last edited:
These last two comments illustrated quite well the difference between the type of customers these two companies have. I don’t really care if Wolf was cool to me or not, I am buying a tool, not an ego caresses (Although I have to say, I have been to many Magico presentations over the years, set down with hundreds of people to listen, never seen anyone asked to leave the room, surely they were not all Magico customers). Wilson knows well who are his customers, and he knows how to caters to their needs, it does not really matter how his products sound and/or preform. It is a different story with Magico, and that is why they are scrutinized so often. They must preform because that is what their clients expect, Wolf attitude is not a factor in their buying decision (who would buy an Apple product if it depended on Steve Jobs “niceness")

These last two comments illustrated quite well the difference between the type of customers these two companies have. I don’t really care if Wolf was cool to me or not, I am buying a tool, not an ego caresses (Although I have to say, I have been to many Magico presentations over the years, set down with hundreds of people to listen, never seen anyone asked to leave the room, surely they were not all Magico customers). Wilson knows well who are his customers, and he knows how to caters to their needs, it does not really matter how his products sound and/or preform. It is a different story with Magico, and that is why they are scrutinized so often. They must preform because that is what their clients expect, Wolf attitude is not a factor in their buying decision (who would buy an Apple product if it depended on Steve Jobs “niceness")

To say Wilson customers don't care about sound or performance is ludicrous. I met several who were considering Alexx upgrades last week as Alexia owners and judging performance without a single WA representative in the room. In fact, the dealer sells both WA and Magico.

Happy to say that IMHO this affirmation lacks substance and is contrary to my experience. Wilson products are known by its great sound quality and performance. Besides Wilson has excellent after sales service and a dealer network that really cares about their customers.

Our decision to buy a high end product is motivated mainly by preference - I could easily pick a few models of different brands that would please me equally for similar price. There are no absolutes in high-end stereo. Surely I would never buy from anyone that has been unfriendly or coarse towards me, but I have met many high end people during many years and never had any problem or personnel issues with high-end manufacturers, designers or manufacturers. BTW, in my country the same distributor handles Wilson and Magico.

I am not the one who complained of either Wilson or Magico customer service and curtsy of representatives. I had great and courteous discussions with both Dave Wilson and, more recently, Alon Wolf. BTW, in Italy, they do share the same distribution as well.

It's funny Dave put on a suit for that meet. He wasn't wearing one when he was flipping through the TAS History #2 in the restaurant.

BTW during my VIP session at Magico Alon was nice enough to answer a question about their crossovers, and I didn't get any sort of "off-putting".

Happy to say that IMHO this affirmation lacks substance and is contrary to my experience. Wilson products are known by its great sound quality and performance. Besides Wilson has excellent after sales service and a dealer network that really cares about their customers.

Our decision to buy a high end product is motivated mainly by preference - I could easily pick a few models of different brands that would please me equally for similar price. There are no absolutes in high-end stereo. Surely I would never buy from anyone that has been unfriendly or coarse towards me, but I have met many high end people during many years and never had any problem or personnel issues with high-end manufacturers, designers or manufacturers. BTW, in my country the same distributor handles Wilson and Magico.

To say Wilson customers don't care about sound or performance is ludicrous. I met several who were considering Alexx upgrades last week as Alexia owners and judging performance without a single WA representative in the room. In fact, the dealer sells both WA and Magico.

further.....I do think that both brands get their share of 'status' buyers who care less about the sound than most here might. and just because we might know of a few of those folks or hear about them anecdotally takes nothing away from the real performance and customer service level both brands demand from their dealers.

I have not owned Wilson's since 2001 and have never owned Magico. neither are my favorite speaker brand. but no doubt they do a great job for their customers and can sound very very good.

I always wanted to ask where does Alon gets his suits from ;) That said, David's is no better, lol. Oh well - nobody is perfect.

They make good speakers though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing