Is Tom Cruise an audiophile

class a

Jul 10, 2011
He's been an audiophile for ages. How can you forget him in Risky Business dancing in his underwear to Bob Segers tune "Old Time Rock and Roll".

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
He's been an audiophile for ages. How can you forget him in Risky Business dancing in his underwear to Bob Segers tune "Old Time Rock and Roll".

with a sock in his under pants

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I'd love to read that list of things to buy. Sometimes wealthy folks see an expensive product and they think,"I could have the best if I bought ______." For most expensive luxury items, money DOES buy the best.

Hi-end audio is different from collecting expensive Swiss watches, Italian roadsters and French wines. Hi-end music reproduction cannot be bought off-the-shelf, no matter the price tag. There's work to be done before one even writes the first check. The work is boring and can be time consuming. The best systems aren't a collection of high price tags. The best systems start off with the best rooms and then the most appropriate speaker choices for the room.

Yes, Tom Cruise is a classic audiophool if he thinks he can make a gear shopping list for someone else without knowing a thing about the room first.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
BTW, on the subject of Cruise and audiophilia- why do folks like bashing this guy so much? Here he is on Jimmy Fallon mentioning Magico, McIntosh, Synergistic Research and vinyl and yet audiophiles mock him? Our hobby is dying and you can't pay for PR like that. Yet we turn our noses up as if he isn't good enough to deserve what is surely a very nice analog system. We should support comments such as his rather than belittle them.
+1 Cruise made many excellent films.

People are jealous of others who look good, rich, and successful. ...Tom has all of that, plus more...the scientology stuff...and that they have rougher time to ingest and digest.
So, whatever Tom do and say; it's the negative aspect that is always the most prominent and that people online love to hate with a deep passion ...
Just ask Tom Brady.

taters

Jun 6, 2012
I'd love to read that list of things to buy. Sometimes wealthy folks see an expensive product and they think,"I could have the best if I bought ______." For most expensive luxury items, money DOES buy the best.

Hi-end audio is different from collecting expensive Swiss watches, Italian roadsters and French wines. Hi-end music reproduction cannot be bought off-the-shelf, no matter the price tag. There's work to be done before one even writes the first check. The work is boring and can be time consuming. The best systems aren't a collection of high price tags. The best systems start off with the best rooms and then the most appropriate speaker choices for the room.

Yes, Tom Cruise is a classic audiophool if he thinks he can make a gear shopping list for someone else without knowing a thing about the room first.

I agree with what you are saying. But to a guy like Jimmy Fallon he just wants something that is going to sound good. He is not going to analyze the system like an audiophile would.

taters

Jun 6, 2012

I am just curious. What does dancing to a Bob Seger song have anything to do with being an audiophile?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I agree with what you are saying. But to a guy like Jimmy Fallon he just wants something that is going to sound good. He is not going to analyze the system like an audiophile would.
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Fallon mentioned that in the email he received from Cruise on the subject, he asked him about a page and half of questions. Why would we assume Cruise is not as much of an audiophile as any of us? There's no data to support that. The fact that he asked Fallon questions suggests a thoughtful process for his guidance to Fallon.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
My guess would be that he has a ton of money and just buys whatever costs the most or looks the coolest.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My guess would be that he has a ton of money and just buys whatever costs the most or looks the coolest.
I guess there's a little audiophile in him after all! :eek:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I guess there's a little audiophile in him after all! :eek:

Laughed my butt off on that one! :D

I think he is way more refined than that. He is a very technical person in his acting career and I think that would carry over to his personal life.

Say what you will about him, he insists on doing his own stunts. Not many Hollywood types would actually hang off the side of an airplane while it takes off, that's what stunt doubles are for right.

Everything he does is very calculated or it could mean serious injury or death.

He has made some silly movies and some great ones, most good ones do.

Still (as corny as it is) have to watch Days of Thunder all the way through if I happen across it, even with commercials. I even pop in the DVD every couple years.

Not a fan by any means, but he gave our obsession a pretty damn good plug and we should appreciate it.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Laughed my butt off on that one! :D

I think he is way more refined than that. He is a very technical person in his acting career and I think that would carry over to his personal life.

Say what you will about him, he insists on doing his own stunts. Not many Hollywood types would actually hang off the side of an airplane while it takes off, that's what stunt doubles are for right.

Everything he does is very calculated or it could mean serious injury or death.

He has made some silly movies and some great ones, most good ones do.

Still (as corny as it is) have to watch Days of Thunder all the way through if I happen across it, even with commercials. I even pop in the DVD every couple years.

Not a fan by any means, but he gave our obsession a pretty damn good plug and we should appreciate it.

..as a scientologist he has nothing to fear :p

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
+1

No kidding… The only mainstream super celebrity to ever mentioned our beloved hobby, on primetime TV, something that can bring so much needed awareness to it, gets called an idiot on a public forum dedicated to high-end audio by one of the founding members (post #10)… very classy

I would say your spot on.

Tom: Hey look at my new system, its cost $200k,
Guest: How does it sound ?
Tom; Not sure I can't figure out what the stuff is, I'm using my iphone connected to that little hole in the front of that black box, doesn't it sound great

The level of arrogance here is unbelievable, especially given the amount rubbish “real” audiophiles tend to spew on regular basis.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I guess you and Tom Cruise are involved in a different hobby than I am. I am intereted in music reproduction and musical enjoyment. I'm not interested in collecting expensive gear recommended from audiophiles who know nothing about how a hi-end system functions as a whole.

+1

No kidding… The only mainstream super celebrity to ever mentioned our beloved hobby, on primetime TV, something that can bring so much needed awareness to it, gets called an idiot on a public forum dedicated to high-end audio by one of the founding members (post #10)… very classy

The level of arrogance here is unbelievable, especially given the amount rubbish “real” audiophiles tend to spew on regular basis.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
+1

Right on, Cannata. No one knows what Cruise thinks about this stuff. It's great that he mentioned vinyl during this TV spot. Why beat up on him?

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
This is one of the more depressing threads I've read on here. Is there ANYTHING audiophiles won't argue over? Heaven forbid that somebody famous should stray onto our turf, right?

+1

You and Tom must be friends since you seem to feel its all about the cost and not the music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing