Interesting group and music What do you know about them?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Through the magic of Spotify, I discovered

Romantic Chamber Music, Vol.1 (Brahms: Piano Quartet No.3 in C Minor, Op.60; Schumann: Piano Quartet in E-Flat Major, Op.47)

51O5FF5N8KL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

First time I have heard them or from them. Very sweet sound. Enthusiasm, technical proficiency and a clear understanding of the music. Recording is good and interestingly doesn't seem to be close-miked. IMO too many Chamber Music recording are so close-miked. Things like performer breathing, rustle of clothes, the swishing sound of the fingers on the strings, etc.. The level of these noises in live music is very low, one has to strain to hear them but not in many recordings the level is too high and to me that is unnatural ... Some like this artificially level of "detail" but that is not I have heard in Live Chamber Music.
This CD-R!! Yes people, you order their work and they make the CD-R and ship it to you. I believe they can be downloaded but haven't found the site. and Spotify doesn't provide much (any?) info or allow you to just go buy the CD (yet?) something Pandora does easily, you like, you click ,you're taken to Amazon and buy the album) The recording is good. The piano sound interesting, rich, it doesn't sound like a Steinway or a Borsendhofer ... it sounds... well .. old in an an endearing way. The CD doesn't sound processed or overly produced. Beautiful music judiciously captured.
I am curious about them. I find them very good. Anybody has heard or these Quartet? .. As for the pieces which I find superb.. Any other recommendations? I am on a Brahms, Schuman Dvorak trip these days :)

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Frantz -- Thanks for the heads up :)

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
As for Dvorak, the cello concerto in B minor Op. 104 -1. Allegro played by Jacqueline du Pre is nice. I have it on the "a lasting inspiration" recording. Really lovely stuff.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As for Dvorak, the cello concerto in B minor Op. 104 -1. Allegro played by Jacqueline du Pre is nice. I have it on the "a lasting inspiration" recording. Really lovely stuff.

I have that as well. I also have Starker Dvorak Cello concerto remastered.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

I could well be the WBF #1 J. Dupre fan hee but I thnk you, <ike is quickly becoming the second, of course, I do have her. I amloking to delve much deeper into his chamber music specially the String Quartets and quintet.

Additional motes, I have listened to this album a little more.. The piano sounds real, a piano that has played some :) ... I am developing a serious liking to Robert Schuman music .. kind of went without noticing him... I knew of him intellectually but not to the level of paying serious attention to his pieces.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing