Innuos Statement nextgen v Antipodes K50

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
Hi all,

I have been running a Zenith Mk3+Phoenix USB for quite a while now, and the time (and funds!) have come to move on to the next step. I have an MScaler and Chord Dave at the DAC end, so feel the source is the next step. Looking at second hand stuff I have found both a nextgen (ARC6 PSU) Statement and a K50 for sale both at around the same price. Which would you pick and why? At this sort of level I suspect its a question of character of sound rather than one is "better", but if anyone has heard both, I would love to hear your comments. The statement has a slight advantage here in that I could sell the Phoenix USB, so actually it has a 2k price advantage. Is the K50 2k "better"?

EDIT: I also now realise there may be an opportunity to sell on the MScaler and use the internal upscaling in software on the K50. Anyone who could comment on this aspect also appreciated!

Last edited:

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
If you go for the Statement, IME a PhoenixNET must be considered, too. The USB output makes the PhoenixUSB redundant, as you mentioned. If you are playing music via Qobuz or similar services, then the Ethernet signal coming into the Statement can be improved by a PhoenixNET.

I’m also liking Sense App, sonically speaking I prefer it over Roon, a lot. my Next Gen replaced a combo PhoenixNET-ZENith MK 3-PhoenixUSB. Never looked back.

Sorry can’t help, never auditioned Antipodes stuff for compariso.

BigAlMc

Jun 20, 2020
Hi all,

I have been running a Zenith Mk3+Phoenix USB for quite a while now, and the time (and funds!) have come to move on to the next step. I have an MScaler and Chord Dave at the DAC end, so feel the source is the next step. Looking at second hand stuff I have found both a nextgen (ARC6 PSU) Statement and a K50 for sale both at around the same price. Which would you pick and why? At this sort of level I suspect its a question of character of sound rather than one is "better", but if anyone has heard both, I would love to hear your comments. The statement has a slight advantage here in that I could sell the Phoenix USB, so actually it has a 2k price advantage. Is the K50 2k "better"?

EDIT: I also now realise there may be an opportunity to sell on the MScaler and use the internal upscaling in software on the K50. Anyone who could comment on this aspect also appreciated!
I'm a huge Innuos fan as own the Zenith SE, Phoenix and PhoenixNet so I'm not currently in the market for a server. But if I was server shopping then from what I've read the Grimm MU1 would be high on my list to consider.

With a DAC that likes upsampled content like the Dave does it fits well. And you could sell the Phoenix and M-Scaler.

Also they've just announced the MU2 so the next couple months might be great timing to pick up a preloved MU1.

I've no experience of Antipodes so no comment there.

Cheers,
Alan

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
I'm a huge Innuos fan as own the Zenith SE, Phoenix and PhoenixNet so I'm not currently in the market for a server. But if I was server shopping then from what I've read the Grimm MU1 would be high on my list to consider.

With a DAC that likes upsampled content like the Dave does it fits well. And you could sell the Phoenix and M-Scaler.

Also they've just announced the MU2 so the next couple months might be great timing to pick up a preloved MU1.

I've no experience of Antipodes so no comment there.

Cheers,
Alan
There's a vid here comparing the MU1 and K50
. I think Im leaning towards the K50 style of sound from that description, but don't know how the Statement fits with that. Didn't know about the MU2 so thanks for that

Reactions: b345t

b345t

May 10, 2020
There's a vid here comparing the MU1 and K50
. I think Im leaning towards the K50 style of sound from that description, but don't know how the Statement fits with that. Didn't know about the MU2 so thanks for that

Nice video. I believe the MU2 is the same as the MU1 but with a built in dac too.

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
Nice video. I believe the MU2 is the same as the MU1 but with a built in dac too.
Ah, I already have a Dave so that is not something that hooks me in

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
If USB is important to you, you
Ah, I already have a Dave so that is not something that hooks me in
The Grimm servers also don't have USB output which appears to be important to you.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I was using a Zenith Mk3 along with MScaler into Chord TT2. I sold the Zenith and the MScaler and put the funds into a K30. Massive upgrade. The K30 delivered tonal density and weight that was nowhere to be found on the Zenith.

I use PGGB to scale my favorite album. For streaming, I use HQPlayer to scale. Antipodes provides a number of software options that Innuos didn’t provide and that was a big part of the reason for me making the switch.

Roon sounded a lot better on the K30. i think Roon sound quality benefits from have Core run on a separate server that doesn’t directly connect to the DAC. The K30 and K50 are both essentially two computers in one box.

The K50 is a significant step up from the K30. See the Antipodes subforum for a post from me describing the differences.

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
I was using a Zenith Mk3 along with MScaler into Chord TT2. I sold the Zenith and the MScaler and put the funds into a K30. Massive upgrade. The K30 delivered tonal density and weight that was nowhere to be found on the Zenith.
Interesting. I'm wondering how a device that sends zeros and ones to a DAC adds "tonal density and weight"?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Interesting. I'm wondering how a device that sends zeros and ones to a DAC adds "tonal density and weight"?
Obviously there is more going on than sending ones and zeros :cool:

Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: G T Audio

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
How do you imagine that the zeros and ones are actually passed?

Reactions: Re-tread

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
An Antipodes Audio advantage is that we offer an upgrade program, we are constantly improving our hardware, and offer this to existing owners so you aren't left behind when our technology advances.
There is currently an upgrade program for the K50, using trickle-down tech from the flagship OLADRA, bringing the upgraded device to G4 status.

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
I wanted to post 1 entry about the Starement with Next Gen power upgrade since nobody is taking time out from listening to post. And there is a manufacturer’s rep posting on behalf of Antipods. Where’s Kevin from Innuos?
The power upgrade proved a significant improvement to the player. Shows just how critical power is to network audio. Mine is playing through a MSB Reference with Digital Director. USB feed which is the one Innuos focuses on. Results are superb. I’m just saying this about my setup and what I’m hearing. Nothing in comparison with the Antipods, just on its own. I’ve been to numerous shows and heard several very high end systems including one well known here on WBF. I know what I’m hearing.
so nothing negative about Antipods if that’s your choice. Just letting you know the Innuos was greatly improved and sounds wonderful.
You will be happy with either choice given my understanding of the Antipods.
Giod luck!

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Well, my server isn't a K50 - I just upgraded to the new OLADRA - and I have the same DAC set up as you. Frankly, my system has never sounded better. However, with MSB's ProUSB and the Director both isolating the DAC from noise from the computer, I am wondering just how much we (MSB) owners need to spend a server...I might have to test this sometime.

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
An Antipodes Audio advantage is that we offer an upgrade program, we are constantly improving our hardware, and offer this to existing owners so you aren't left behind when our technology advances.
There is currently an upgrade program for the K50, using trickle-down tech from the flagship OLADRA, bringing the upgraded device to G4 status.
As does Innuos. Innuos offers a very easy upgrade option from Statement to Next Gen.

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
As does Innuos. Innuos offers a very easy upgrade option from Statement to Next Gen.
Slightly differing approaches, but highlight's the constantly evolving segment of music servers.
Antipodes not only completely changed the power supply topology in the G4 range, but made improvements to both the server and player engines, adding isolation footers, and upgrading the USB output.
The upgrades not only offer sound quality improvement but an increase of 200% to 400% more system resources for K50 models, along with Enterprise-level resilience against data loss in a power fluctuation or outage for the OS.

Last edited:

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
I am wondering just how much we (MSB) owners need to spend a server...I might have to test this sometime.
This would be very interesting. I have not added the digital director yet. I use an Innuos Zenith mk3 and am thinking about the best upgrade path. DD or higher end server? Or I may do neither and just wait as I‘m a bit skeptical that either would provide a delta in SQ commensurate with price I.e. value.

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
This would be very interesting. I have not added the digital director yet. I use an Innuos Zenith mk3 and am thinking about the best upgrade path. DD or higher end server? Or I may do neither and just wait as I‘m a bit skeptical that either would provide a delta in SQ commensurate with price I.e. value.
Give Vince at MSB a call. He'll set you up with a demo of the DD so you can find out for yourself. Same with the good folks at Antipodes - if you don't have a dealer nearby, they'll work with you on a demo.

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
Interesting question. The K50 has a DDC giving you options for feeding the DAC. I have a NextGen Statement and found with a Terminator Plus the I2S from a Denafrips Iris to be better than the USB. I now have a Lampizator Golden Gate and found I prefer BNC over USB. I use an Antipodes S20/S60 that receives USB from an UltraRendu that is fed by the Statements Ethernet output.

And then there is the OLADRA upgrade path.

I regret not trying the BNC from the Iris to the Terminator Plus when I had them. Based on my last 2 DACs I think trying non USB inputs is worthwhile and that USB re-clockers can only do so much.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
And then there is the OLADRA upgrade path.
The Oladra provides superior output of SPDIF, AES and I2S in comparisson to USB because of the additional reclocking.

Matt

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing