I'm tempted but my brain keeps telling me No.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Now this is interesting. Yesterday I received a package from the seller with the extra parts that came with the C37. I removed the slip on cover for the record amplifier and the circuitry is point to point,no pcb here. The above pictures were from a J37 machine which was made later. Pretty much a straight wire with gain,as there are very few caps in the signal path to the E188CC tubes. The biggest cap is a .1uf 400v and a .047uf......and I thought Ampex circuits were to the point. This reminds me of my MR70 where everything is kept to the bare minimum. One good thing is the cost of parts for the upgrade will be light on the pocket and I can voice it the way I think it should be done. What is life without adventure.

I noticed that there is a TR145 Beyer transformer used. If I can that will definitely be replaced with a Lundahl. There's plenty of room for mounting the Lundahl and bypassing the Beyer,this will be a large improvement in transparency. I have the record amplifiers voiced out,should sound amazing and the playback when done too.

I took a look at Jensen transformers and they offer a unit that has the same mount as the Beyer. Jensen are darn good and I think a change would be worthwhile. Scratch the Jensen and Lundahl I found a input tranny that is -128db down now that gets me excited. I want to see if this C37 can sound as good as my nuvistor teflon MR70.....I'll give it a try and let the chips fall where they may.

ftp://ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products/Recording_Analog/C37/Manuals/C37_early_OpServ.pdf

ftp://ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products/Recording_Analog/

http://thehistoryofrecording.com/Manuals/Studer/C37_early_OpServ[1].pdf

Last edited:

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Roger
Do you know about E188cc, I think hard to get now although 6922 or 6DJ8 or E88cc can replace but will sound different, and price also a very surprise one too, socket over there better switch to a teflon gold pin with much better conduct
tony ma

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Roger
Do you know about E188cc, I think hard to get now although 6922 or 6DJ8 or E88cc can replace but will sound different, and price also a very surprise one too, socket over there better switch to a teflon gold pin with much better conduct
tony ma

Thanks Tony,

At this point with the restoration...i just can't see not going all the way with this machine. Good idea about new sockets.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Gary D

Jun 26, 2011

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
These people are just trying to gouge the audiophile and you know there will be someone stupid enough to pay these prices. Pretty sad....

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
These people are just trying to gouge the audiophile and you know there will be someone stupid enough to pay these prices. Pretty sad....

Well I agree Bruce too,but this machine started at a penny so it's a measure of demand isn't it......I have bought 3 machines on Ebay but nothing like this.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

My tech has quite a few of these,I'll have to check on prices.

I checked with my Studer tech and he has several A810's all refurbished ready to go.....$2500......with warranty......now that's more like it.

Last edited:

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Darn!!! I feel extra lucky to have gotten my A807 archival (playback only) for $200!! It needed a good cleaning (green goo) and a new pinch roller... but if you all remember my rather epic flail trying to finally procure a "po boy" 15ips 2 track, cheap does indeed cost money....
This is the route I would go in the future, refurbished with warranty and *sane* price. Good stuff!
Harv

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
I checked with my Studer tech and he has several A810's all refurbished ready to go.....$2500......with warranty......now that's more like it.

Roger,

Who's your Studer tech :confused:
Thanks
:D

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Well I agree Bruce too,but this machine started at a penny so it's a measure of demand isn't it......I have bought 3 machines on Ebay but nothing like this.

Just to follow up on this posting on eBay...... someone "won" this at $7700.00 :eek:

They're not winners in my book.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Just to follow up on this posting on eBay...... someone "won" this at $7700.00 :eek:

They're not winners in my book.

To buy 99 pct of the machines on Ebay is a crap shoot. Unless the deck is a true NOS in box I would never pay that kind of premium. You purchase any deck except those rare NOS,prepare to empty you wallet(meaning it always is more then expected).

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Just a update. As I have said restorations always take much longer than thought or promised. My C37 is finally in process. I found this video and thought it was kind of neat,it should be a C37+Beatles,you can't get much better than that.

I have all the parts that I needed to make my Studer C37 one of a kind,it should be outstanding.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Just a update. As I have said restorations always take much longer than thought or promised. My C37 is finally in process. I found this video and thought it was kind of neat,it should be a C37+Beatles,you can't get much better than that.

I have all the parts that I needed to make my Studer C37 one of a kind,it should be outstanding.

Sweet!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Excellent :D
BTW, are those A810's still available from your tech :confused:
Thanks.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.

Roger,
That is just plain awesome I hope it all works out for you!!!

Jay

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing