I'm retired. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I went from retired to retired-ed :D I couldn't take the lack of mental activity so I ended up doing not one but two start-ups to keep me busy. Life is good albeit I want to be busier still. :)

Enjoy Tim!

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Congrats Tim. After a while you may find yourself wondering when did you have the time to work. After over seven years of retirement, I still find there aren't enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Good for you. I would like to retire, but I like the paycheck. I need to work a few more years to recover from the spastic stereo buying spree I splurged on the last few years. I call it my retirement system, and figure I better buy it now because once I retire then no more luxuries. Plus I can enjoy it now. Again, congratulations.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Haven't been on BF for a while & just logged in to see this thread & there I was thinking you were retiring from WBF, Mr. P - guess you'll have more time to post then ? :)
I wish you well & hope you get great enjoyment from your new role.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
If I have more time to post that will be a bad sign, because I've much to accomplish and only self discipline to keep me on task. Thanks all.

Tim

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Congrats Tim. enjoy your retirement.

best wishes that your future plans go well.

I'm your same age, but likely 2-3 years myself away from that move. but for scratching my audio 'itch' I might have been retried already. I still enjoy my work so no problem.

we all make our choices.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm a little curious, given the number of responses and respondents who seem to still be working in their "retirement"; what do people (here or elsewhere) mean by "retirement"? To me it means not working, or at least not working for money. Managing your own investments probably doesn't count as working for money, but it sounds like some (many) are just making a career change, working less (or not) and maybe taking a drop in income.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm a little curious, given the number of responses and respondents who seem to still be working in their "retirement"; what do people (here or elsewhere) mean by "retirement"? To me it means not working, or at least not working for money. Managing your own investments probably doesn't count as working for money, but it sounds like some (many) are just making a career change, working less (or not) and maybe taking a drop in income.

It means stopping full time work/career to me. I still sit on a Bd of Directors that meets periodically throughout the year with various committee assignments....

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Tim: AWESOME !!

I "retired" a few months ago, and as others have stated, I have no idea how I got anything done when I was working. But I am still active in a number of areas, the most fun being that I am a "sub contractor" for one of the high end/audio home theater companies in Atlanta. This has almost nothing to do with earning money (though I do get paid a small bit) but more to do with doing something I really enjoy.

One of my ex-customers responded when I asked him why he liked retirement with: "when I wake up in the morning, I get to decide what I am going to do that day."

And that's why I like retirement as well. Nooooo daily commitments. Some days I work out at 9AM, sometimes at 2PM or sometimes at 5PM (and sometimes, not at all).

Tim my guess is that you will love it. Congratulations.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
For me, it will be the opportunity to do nothing except by my choice. I plan to lecture, to play with audio, to enjoy music and visit my grandkids, from Kyoto to St. Andrews with stops in-between. Management and administration will be someone else's responsibility.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Tim,

Hope you find a better rate via ACA then I was offered in HI.

Too bad you don't play golf, other than HI, NC has some of the best courses in the country.

IMO, the most important thing when you retire is your health.

BTW, what type of work did you retire from?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Tim,

Too bad you don't play golf, other than HI, NC has some of the best courses in the country.

My dad lives on Pinehurst No. 7 True dat ! I have been punished on No. 2, 3 times..a putting nightmare...lol

This has been in the works for a while, I just haven't said anything. I just turned in my badge, my Pcard, my iPhone and my laptop, and walked out of that office for the last time. I'm now officially a ward of the welfare state, collecting Social Security, buying insurance through the ACA exchange and waiting for Medicare to kick in. :)

I don't golf, but North Carolina is fat with high-end "active adult" communities that hire entertainers. I've been working on sets full of standards from the 30s, 40s and 50s. I'll be building a mailing list and a web site, and with a little luck, I'll be very busy soon, and, for the first time in decades, playing music full time. I won't make a lot of money doing it, but fortunately I've reached a point where making a lot of money is not the point. I intend to have a lot of fun! I'm doing this a little early - I just turned 63 - but it was definitely time. The politics have been getting bad at the office, and I've completely lost my patience for it. Had I not retired now, I probably would've gotten myself fired soon enough. :)

Tim

Congrats Tim, I'm on my 4th year of just enjoying life. Retired young at 57.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Sounds like the perfect time to get into analog.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
I'm also in the planning stages of pre-retirement. We currently live on Long Island but plan on checking out Ashville and Raleigh this fall as possible retirement spots. I think it might be best if I ease into it for a year or two, working 2-3 days a week from home (no commute) before I totally quit working for money. With 2 kids in college that extra bit of $ for a short time longer will certainly come in handy.

I am envious of your transition Tim. Best of luck.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim,

Marketing Communications. My career really ended in 2009, to be honest. It has just been jobs since then. I have no regrets in moving on.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing