I watched the MTV awards show last night

taters

Jun 6, 2012
i don't know about you, but to me the performances are all about the same and the music seems so formulated. It seems like there is a recording engineer that a lot of these people use. The music they play sounds so much alike. And there is no Individuality at all. I've never seen a time in history that music is so bad. And I'm no spring chicken.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
I don't fundamentally disagree, but on the other hand I also think this is a fantastic era of music performance. There is just SO MUCH high quality music available now it's mind-boggling, and top-class musicians, performers, songwriters are doing their thing and releasing new material every day. In many ways, things have never been better for the true music-lover.

Of course, none (or very little) of it gets played on MTV, the vast majority of people don't care, and what's left of the record companies aren't championing quality, so it's extremely difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff. Still, I like to think (and hope) that people grow out of the MTV stuff and that quality music will never die. Outside of the manufactured twaddle, I think there are some real bands and artists around.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
No surprise, once again, Kanye West proved he is a schmuck.

I saw it on the news.

I wouldn't waste my time watching that crap.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The awards and the current music faves are very age generational. Interestingly, I saw the Taylor Swift crowd that was here in San Diego...average age....15!! That would seem to apply to many of the typical listeners of the stuff last night at the MTV awards. Teenagers are who the larger record companies are going after ( nothing wrong in that, just saying). Probably why Justin Bieber is popular.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I saw the show briefly when Taylor Swift was presenting an award to "her dear friend" Kanye West. What I couldn't understand was the standing ovation he got from the crowd as his big booty wife smiled from the sidelines.

I agree with Gary Protein. And then to catch glimpses of barely of age Miley Cyrus trying to make a fashion statement with balloons and pasties over her body was a joke

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I don't understand what happened to Miley. She was a good mouseketeer and country singer.

I understand her wanting to lose or change her childhood reputation, and there is nothing wrong with her wanting to look very sexy or glamorous, but she went about it all wrong. Where was her agent, her parents or SOMEBODY to give her some guidance?

Steve Williams

I don't understand what happened to Miley. She was a good mouseketeer and country singer.

I understand her wanting to lose or change her childhood reputation, and there is nothing wrong with her wanting to look very sexy or glamorous, but she went about it all wrong. Where was her agent, her parents or SOMEBODY to give her some guidance?

She marches to the beat of a different drum

Steve Williams

I knew nothing of Miley Cyrus before her "transformation", but she's everywhere now. Looks like shrewd marketing to me...

She's trying to be the baby version of Lady Gaga

taters

Jun 6, 2012

I think she came to the realization that sex sells and to exploit all she can. I still think she a talented person but she wants to be on the edge.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
She's trying to be the baby version of Lady Gaga

...who in turn learned from Madonna. There's nothing new here really!

Although I have to say I have a soft spot for Lady Gaga, as I think she's genuinely a very talented musician. She may choose to use her powers for evil rather than for good (!) but the money was always better on that side of the coin.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I think she came to the realization that sex sells and to exploit all she can. I still think she a talented person but she wants to be on the edge.

All this over-the-top and gratuitously offensive behaviour can only end not well at all.

It's all very ugly, and it appears that some so-called artists have to compensate by showing skin and vulgarity for lack of talent.

Sheep still applaud and buy.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

I don't mind the skin, but I wish she would keep her tongue in her mouth.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Wow, no more Glenn Gould - Bach - Goldberg Variations music talking here...this is much more serious....MTV Music Awards...with all the rappers and Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga and Madonna and Taylor Swift and Kanye West.

You guys sure know how to pick stuff on TV...jeez! :D

taters

Jun 6, 2012
Wow, no more Glenn Gould - Bach - Goldberg Variations music talking here...this is much more serious....MTV Music Awards...with all the rappers and Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga and Madonna and Taylor Swift and Kanye West.

You guys sure know how to pick stuff on TV...jeez! :D

Goldberg variations? I have never heard that one before.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing