I found the ULTIMATE listening chair!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i thought the Genesis 1.2's needed 15 feet behind them to a solid flat wall for optimal performance.

i wonder how a shorter distance with curtains (or windows?) affects the performance? and maybe Gary had adjustments that resolved those issues or maybe the visuals are not indicative of the true distance?

i do like the chair.....is it leather? cloth tends to 'grab' your clothing for long term listening.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Good catch Mike. The curtains are light and gauzy and there's another 2m or so behind the curtains. It worked extremely well to control the bass and reflections and still with very high WAF. Very modern looks, which is extremely popular in Hong Kong at this time.

The chair is extremely comfortable.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Good catch Mike. The curtains are light and gauzy and there's another 2m or so behind the curtains. It worked extremely well to control the bass and reflections and still with very high WAF. Very modern looks, which is extremely popular in Hong Kong at this time.

Ah, now I see it! A stealthy SME! :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I thought that the room was an incredible achievement of design as there was absolutely no room treatment to be seen. There were bass bins hidden behind the curtain, the panels on the walls and ceiling were not parallel. Whether it was an intentional design element, an intentional acoustic treatment element, or an unintentional acoustic element due to intentional design, I have no idea. Nevertheless, the net result is that when music is playing, it is difficult to give up the seat. For one particular lady, we played an entire concerto with no urge whatsoever to stop the CD and play the next piece.

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway

I'm betting this one will improve sound..

My favv:

Another really comfy one (I guess? ):

Imperial.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Gary,

about the chair, 2 questions.

(1) is the seat bottom long enough for really good thigh support?

i hate short seats where my thighs are not supported for the whole length of my upper legs. i'm relatively tall (6'2") but i only have a 32" inseam, yet many chairs are just too short in the seat bottom for comfort.

(2) is the seat cushion low enough toward the back that your butt is lower than your thighs so you sit back to some degree? rather than canted forward a touch.

it appears that there is no way to adjust the seat cushion angle. the back rest adjusts and the foot cushion extends; however every picture shows the base in the same position. therefore to relax and sit back you lower the back rest. it is way more comfortable to drop your butt and raise your thighs. in cars i always lower the rear of the seat bottom to the max, and raise the front of the seat bottom to the max to find the right spot for optimal thigh support.

the chair looks like a winner for a listening room if the seat angle is right....or if the seat angle is adjustable which it appears it's not

i suppose one could 'shim' the middle and front legs to change the basic seat angle, but that's dumb for a $3500 chair that otherwise is right.

my problem is that after owning a 'perfect chair' with perfect back-thigh angles for comfort, it's hard to 'go back' to one that is compromised. but my chair is now 15 years old, and i'd love to have a chair i don't need to move out of the sweet spot when i have visitors.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
How tall are you Mike? I'm US average at a shade under 5'11, If I recall my thighs were fully supported and yes the rear is lower. Christian who is 6'7 or 6'8 might have a problem. LOL.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
How tall are you Mike? I'm US average at a shade under 5'11, If I recall my thighs were fully supported and yes the rear is lower. Christian who is 6'7 or 6'8 might have a problem. LOL.

i'm 6'2", but long in the body with only a 32" inseam. chairs fit me fine except that i have a 'hip-flexor' issue which flares up when seat bottoms are not at the right angle or too short. when i'm leaning slightly forward it then aggravates my issue.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
31" inseam here. Should be fine thigh wise. I wish I could be sure about the angle given your specific condition.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
31" inseam here. Should be fine thigh wise. I wish I could be sure about the angle given your specific condition.

as long as my butt is lower than the front of my thighs i'm fine. it is amazing how many otherwise comfortable chairs have poor seat cushion angles. i'm speaking about lounge chairs, there are plenty of comfortable upright chairs such as the Aeron side chairs i have.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012

I'm another 31" inseam guy. I weigh around 165 lbs., so I particularly don't care for chairs that are too wide, either. If you find the perfect ones for guys like us, I would appreciate it if you let me know.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm another 31" inseam guy. I weigh around 165 lbs., so I particularly don't care for chairs that are too wide, either. If you find the perfect ones for guys like us, I would appreciate it if you let me know.

That one fit me like a glove. Like I said though I got another model before this one was brought in. I like this one more than the one I have and the one I have cost more. :(

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
as long as my butt is lower than the front of my thighs i'm fine. it is amazing how many otherwise comfortable chairs have poor seat cushion angles. i'm speaking about lounge chairs, there are plenty of comfortable upright chairs such as the Aeron side chairs i have.

Aeron should make an easy chair. My wife got on my case about my buying one for my home office......then she sat on it. Now she hogs the desk top fiddling with her pictures hours on end.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Aeron should make an easy chair. My wife got on my case about my buying one for my home office......then she sat on it. Now she hogs the desk top fiddling with her pictures hours on end.

i love the Aeron side chairs, but like you i would really enjoy the Aeron to come with fixed legs in a lounge chair with the tilt back and adjustments. that could be 'hot'.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Maybe we have a lurker here from Herman-Miller :)

LISTEN UP DUDE, MAKE THAT CHAIR!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Maybe we have a lurker here from Herman-Miller :)

LISTEN UP DUDE, MAKE THAT CHAIR!
You know, it's a pretty good company, Herman Miller. Smart. Good design, old and new. Call 'em. Tell 'em there are all these crazy audiophiles begging for this chair in lounge form. Not so crazy.
BTW, i just took a look at their online catalog. They make a lounge that is not quite the Aero, but has certain similarities:

http://store.hermanmiller.com/Products/Setu-Lounge-Chair

and it has a matching ottoman.

PS if you go to the 'gallery' you can do a configure thing with different materials for frame, base and seating material.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing