I am VERY excited about Gary Clark Jr.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I just received the debut album from Gary Clark Jr, Blak and Blu, a ferocious new young blues rock guitarist.

(It is also available as an HD download from HDTracks)

He made a big splash several years ago at Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival.

He has released a few Eps then, with much anticipation, signed a record deal.

I have a few live recordings, and was also wondering what he would do with his
first full length studio album.

He decided to split it down the middle..some psychedelic blues rock a la Jimi and Trower,
some straight heavy blues, some rock, and some funk. His heavy fuzzed out guitar tone
and superb voice are a throw back. Music is dead? I DON"T think so!

http://www.garyclarkjr.com/

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I just received the debut album from Gary Clark Jr, Blak and Blu, a ferocious new young blues rock guitarist.

(It is also available as an HD download from HDTracks)

He made a big splash several years ago at Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival.

He has released a few Eps then, with much anticipation, signed a record deal.

I have a few live recordings, and was also wondering what he would do with his
first full length studio album.

He decided to split it down the middle..some psychedelic blues rock a la Jimi and Trower,
some straight heavy blues, some rock, and some funk. His heavy fuzzed out guitar tone
and superb voice are a throw back. Music is dead? I DON"T think so!

http://www.garyclarkjr.com/
He's good and the album shows his versatility, i didn't much go for the one cut that's being promoted with the big horn section- 'Ain't Messin' Around', more into the blues, the rawer the better, but there's no doubt he's an up and coming talent, good voice, good player, eclectic taste and ability to do more than 'one thing.'

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
He's good and the album shows his versatility, i didn't much go for the one cut that's being promoted with the big horn section- 'Ain't Messin' Around', more into the blues, the rawer the better, but there's no doubt he's an up and coming talent, good voice, good player, eclectic taste and ability to do more than 'one thing.'

Thanks for seeing my post!

I have not given the album time to sink in yet. I think he has tremendous potential. His live performances are
incendiary. He has appeared at a bunch of festivals, and many of the performances have been aired on Palladia.

The only issue with a performer like this is that naturally, he will be compared to the giants of the genre...Hendrix, SRV, Clapton,
Gallagher, Trower, Page, Beck etc.

Interestingly, being versatile has its pitfalls too. Then arises the issue of who do you market your music too? Raw blues fans? Alternative rock fans?
Classic rock fans? I have seen many like Clark Jr. fail to crack through beyond a small base of loyal fans because of this..a few that come to mind
are Doyle Bramhall II (a particular favorite), Joe Bonnamasa, Eric Johnson, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, and Sonny Landreth.

But Clark Jr. has the advantage of famous friends and backers, and good looks for the YouTube crowd.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing