Gary Clark Jr.'s New Album: the best rock record of the decade

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
...in MY humble opinion.

I listened to The Story Of Sonny Boy Slim in my usual way, once at home and once in the car, and was utterly blown away, transfixed. This does not happen often. Paolo Nutini's Caustic Love was the last time I was knocked on my rear end.

I had mixed feelings about his first album. Sounded a bit too Pro Tooled and tentative, but to be fair there were incredibly high hopes for that record given Clark's live shows and buzz. But the good songs were stunning.

I saw him on his last tour up close and personal and it was just amazing.

On Sonny Boy I am hearing Robin Trower, Sly Stone, Prince, Albert King, Doyle Bramhall II, Cream, Isley Brothers, and god knows what else. Only one real stinker, a bland acoustic number.

Thank you Gary Clark Jr.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Agreed, it's a great album. Up there with Courtney Barnett's debut.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Agreed, it's a great album. Up there with Courtney Barnett's debut.

The funny thing is I really think of it as a great "electric guitar" album too. So many different tones, influences, unique riffs, tasty licks, amazing rhythm playing.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Thanks, Andre. Been to busy to listen to it, but will listen this weekend.

I know a lot of hard core blues guys are upset it's not more like this:

But the guy wants to express himself and make a living. Over 4 million hits on the video I linked is about as viral as a blues-rock song can go. Compare to the brilliant, but blues-only Melvin Taylor, who can only scrape up around a quarter of million hits on an awesome performance:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thanks, Andre. Been to busy to listen to it, but will listen this weekend.

I know a lot of hard core blues guys are upset it's not more like this:

But the guy wants to express himself and make a living. Over 4 million hits on the video I linked is about as viral as a blues-rock song can go. Compare to the brilliant, but blues-only Melvin Taylor, who can only scrape up around a quarter of million hits on an awesome performance:

Very good synopsis my friend caesar.

Gary Clark Jr. may be a blues man at heart, but I have no issues with him wanting to be a blues-ROCK recording artist.

As you said, playin' the blues does not exactly pay the bills. Robert Cray has made a very nice living straddling the line
between blues and pop. (seeming him next month!!!)

Bright Lights, by the way, was used by ESPN as the outro of before each commercial at this years US Open tennis broadcasts. That is how
artists are making a living, by licensing songs for use on tv. Ain't nobody but us buying records anymore.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
will have to listen to it again- didn't hit me the first time. (and I'm from Texas)

how is the LP recording quality? i seem to remember the Tidal stream was not good at all.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I've listened to this album about 10 times in the last week. This album is Grammy worthy. I can't agree with Andre's proclamation it is the best rock album of the decade, if for no other reason than it isn't rock. It's blues, funk, and R&B. For my taste, however, I'd take this album in a New York Minute over just about anything that's come out in the past year, except for a few select, savory, prog albums. Don't walk, run, and get this album.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I've listened to this album about 10 times in the last week. This album is Grammy worthy. I can't agree with Andre's proclamation it is the best rock album of the decade, if for no other reason than it isn't rock. It's blues, funk, and R&B. For my taste, however, I'd take this album in a New York Minute over just about anything that's come out in the past year, except for a few select, savory, prog albums. Don't walk, run, and get this album.

Funny..listened to it all the way through un the car yesterday, after putting aside for a bit...and it yet again blew me away.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Another great album btw, is Ryan Bingham's Fear And Saturday Night.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing