Gary Clark Jr. at the House Of Blues, San Diego 09/27/13

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Gary Clark Jr. at the House Of Blues, San Diego 09/27/13.

Ferocious blues, rock, and funk.

Ripped the joint up. Excellent set. Great band.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, that must have been a great show. Gary has a boat load of talent, IMO.

Hey Davey:

Man he can play and sing. Will a post a short video later I took with my phone.

He did "3 O'Clock Blues" by B B King that was a big surprise..brought the house down.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, in the guitar world, many are calling Gary the next Jimi...I do NOT think so, BUT as you can see he has some great chops.

Unfair comparison but that is to be expected. He is a young cat with his own thing. His album was a bit of a let down in that it was little bit too "Pro Toolsey" and
he experimented with electronics. However, I think he has tremendous potential as a songwriter. I for one think he will grow as an artist.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Thanks for posting about this concert. I have a friend who has heard him live and described the experience as 'otherworldly'. I thought the LP was inconsistent...certainly with brilliant moments and ended up passing it on to a friend. Hope to catch him live one day. There is a local artist with a similar vibe; Ayron Jones who you might enjoy.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thanks for posting about this concert. I have a friend who has heard him live and described the experience as 'otherworldly'. I thought the LP was inconsistent...certainly with brilliant moments and ended up passing it on to a friend. Hope to catch him live one day. There is a local artist with a similar vibe; Ayron Jones who you might enjoy.

He is a must see act. The ferocity of his playing is mind blowing. He is dedicated to his craft and was only concerned with mind melding with
his band, and not being an "entertainer".

I agree about the album. I also think we were expecting too much, since there was a lot of build up before he got signed.

Thanks for the tip.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hey Andre --

Forgot to ask...is Gary Clark's live show more 'bluesy' and less 'pop'? The reason I ask get's back to the LP; I strongly preferred the more blues based material.

BTW, what do you think re: the sonics of the CD/download? The vinyl wasn't anything special but if you like the digital I'd probably be willing to give that a try...Thx.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hey Andre --

Forgot to ask...is Gary Clark's live show more 'bluesy' and less 'pop'? The reason I ask get's back to the LP; I strongly preferred the more blues based material.

BTW, what do you think re: the sonics of the CD/download? The vinyl wasn't anything special but if you like the digital I'd probably be willing to give that a try...Thx.

Two good questions>

His show was WAY more bluesy then the album. For instance, he played a straight up, down in the alley version of "3'Oclock Blues",
and there was LOTS of great blues/rock jams through out. I loved the old school stage set up..drums on the floor, amps packed right next
to them, no in ear monitors...no stupid lights.

The 24 bit download is a full 25% more dynamic than the CD. I have both. They are two TOTALLY different masterings.
The CD just explodes out of the speakers, while the download needs to be cranked. It is on my playlist for today.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Thanks! I think I'll try the CD. I need to get set up on computer audio. Hey maybe a good thread topic: Computer Audio Set up for Dummies! ;)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thanks! I think I'll try the CD. I need to get set up on computer audio. Hey maybe a good thread topic: Computer Audio Set up for Dummies! ;)

The CD is NOT terrible, but clearly compressed. And this really bugs the crap out of me in the sense you get all these folks
dumping on CD as inferior format when you get masterings that right out of gate put it at a disadvantage when compared to other formats.

It is obvious to me the record company absolutely thought the folks who would buy the CD of this album were going to rip it iTunes and
listen to it on ear buds, or in the car.

As far as another thread on "beginner" computer audio..haha, remember where the other one went? Speak of this evil no more. LOL. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing