How 3-D video is doing

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I plan to see Transformers 3 at the theater -- mostly because I watched some of the filming here in Chicago last year. I plan to catch a 2D showing. While I own one 3D Blu-ray (Lang Lang Live in Vienna), I have no interest in 3D at home.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
3D is getting tremendous support from manufacturers. It is already to the point that almost all AV receivers and blu ray players are 3D ready, and the top 3 tiers of every major TV brand support 3D. Will customers use it? That's a completely different question, of course. There is an awful lot of interest in it at retail, but it is, in my opinion, not quite ready for prime time and I have no great interest myself. Still, I think an NFL, NBA or MLB 3D package on cable or sat would seal the deal for an awful lot of people.

Time will tell.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I actually like 3-D...It can add to the movie experience, for example, I don't think Avatar as a movie is as powerful in 2D ...:( A bad movie remains bad and many movies 3-D or not are bad .. Pirates of the Carribean #49 in 3-D willbbe bad and would be in anything ...
I wouldn't mind the NBA in 3-D especially if they develop true holographic, no-goggles-required 3-D..

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hi

I actually like 3-D...It can add to the movie experience, for example, I don't think Avatar as a movie is as powerful in 2D ...:( A bad movie remains bad and many movies 3-D or not are bad .. Pirates of the Carribean #49 in 3-D willbbe bad and would be in anything ...
I wouldn't mind the NBA in 3-D especially if they develop true holographic, no-goggles-required 3-D..

Yeah...unfortunately, true holographic, no-goggles-required 3D is a few years away. The only commercial glasses-free 3D right now is the Nintendo 3DS, and it's horrid. Blow that up to 50 inches and you'd have seizures in living rooms across the land.

Tim

MelanieM

Aug 1, 2011
I hate the goggles which is why I won't buy a 3D TV or if I do, I wouldn't invest in the goggles. Right now I think it's kind of gimicky and I'm waiting for a lg led tv that is 3D without the goggles . The best 3D stuff I've ever seen is at Disney World where it looks like the character is right in front of you floating in the air. I've never gotten that feeling from watching any 3D movies on the TVs or in the cinemas. It feels more like you're looking through a window as opposed to you standing outside the window within the action of the movie.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I love 3D movies at the theater. I have no idea if I would like it at home, requires a lot of brightness and those glasses, though I notice that comcast cable has a lot of 3D options in the ON DEMAND section.

I have seen a handful of 3D movies at the theater and really liked them all. Avatar, Boewulf, Tron, all fantastic experiences. My wife won't pay the ticket prices, so I have to sneak out and see them once and a while on my own, but I would go to a lot more of them time and circumstances favorable.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I have seen few 3D movies and fewer I liked (Polar Express was one, watever that does for you, or me...) I hate the glasses and have no interest in trying to recreate the iMax experience at home (just does not seem practical). No plans to get 3D anything anytime soon. -Don

p.s. This might be an interesting poll...

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI All,
The only 3d I've seen since 1955 (yes!) was Prometheus a couple of months ago at a theater. I thought it was fantastic. The 3d effects were very tastefully done and very effective. I've not seen any 3d on the small screen but I'd like to try it.

Checking Amazon, there are many 3d new releases. It seems like somebody thinks 3d is going to work. I think the day will come when 3d will be as ubitquitous as color.

Sparky

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the feedback. There are certainly a lot more titles available now than when we created this thread.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing