Hint of new Magico products

I have placed my order for the M project speaker but i am wondering now if i should have gone for the Q7 instead...

Hi Motions,

Congratulation! :)

May you share with the forum members your audio system configuration and your listening room size?
The Q7 may not better the M Project in small-size rooms.

I have placed my order for the M project speaker but i am wondering now if i should have gone for the Q7 instead...

nobody can answer you as nobody has heard the M project, so we are all speculating. My personal take is that the M project will be great, but Q7 will remain the best Magico speaker for a while (not talking about Ultimate)... and actually the best electrodynamic speaker on the market. I see the M project as an exclusive offer (production limited to 50 pairs), in a nicer package than Q7 (smaller footprint, rounder form, carbon sides), delivering 90% of Q7 sound for two third of the price. I see the market for that.
But if you can afford the Q7 (both money wise and in term of room), I would go for it. Nothing under 400k beats it.

nobody can answer you as nobody has heard the M project, so we are all speculating. My personal take is that the M project will be great, but Q7 will remain the best Magico speaker for a while (not talking about Ultimate)... and actually the best electrodynamic speaker on the market. I see the M project as an exclusive offer (production limited to 50 pairs), in a nicer package than Q7 (smaller footprint, rounder form, carbon sides), delivering 90% of Q7 sound for two third of the price. I see the market for that.
But if you can afford the Q7 (both money wise and in term of room), I would go for it. Nothing under 400k beats it.

Not for the tweeter. According to Magico, M's new tweeter should outperform any other Magico tweeters including Q7's. I agree that Q7 is still the flagship, it is more efficient, dynamic, having larger woofers (also dedicated midbass driver on Q7 should have a better linearity vs 3 way M) hence bottom end should be better as the price tag favors; having said one should expect new M challenging Q7 and even outperforming in some areas. I also bet the new tweeter on M will be used on newer generation Magico Q series.

the new tweeter on M will be used on newer generation Magico Q series. x2

I could see a future S5 in years to come using some of the driver technology from a future Q speaker & carbon sides... me sees an upgrade path :)

Soulution preamp 720 and Soulution 701 mono, Q5...Yes,my room size is a bit small (12ft With x 19ft lenght x 12 high,but read from somewhere and was also inform by a Q7 owner that since the Q7 speakers are fully sealed speakers room size does not really matters.
That was when i started to have 2nd thoughts.

Soulution preamp 720 and Soulution 701 mono, Q5...Yes,my room size is a bit small (12ft With x 19ft lenght x 12 high,but read from somewhere and was also inform by a Q7 owner that since the Q7 speakers are fully sealed speakers room size does not really matters.

Hi Motions,

Your Soulutions are very good match with Magico. The M Project probably need mono poweramps such as your 701.

However, your room seems a bit small for the Q7. It has so much energy and needs a bigger space to breathe.
A friend of mine has a pair of Q7 in a listening room about 1.5 times the size of yours and I think that it's barely big enough.

the new tweeter on M will be used on newer generation Magico Q series. x2

Will this also mean a reworking of the crossover?
Be interesting to know not just from a function change but whether internal components for crossover design as well.

Cheers
Orb

Is your room acoustically treated? Not only the space may be a bit small for large speakers like Q7, but also its ratios (w=h) may need some attention due to standing wave patterns.

Room is treated acoustically using auralex product by the local Auralex distributor

"MProject will be quite a bit easier to drive than the Q5, 91dB efficient versus the 86dB efficiency of the Q5. The MProject will be largely improved over the Q5 with an entire new array of drivers, and larger bass woofers than the Q5, among other technologies and design elements from research and development done in the 4 years since the launch of the Q5."

Last edited:
Motions, I don't mean to play the Devil's advocate, but you need to be careful about posting content from emails received from Magico. And I know from whence I speak. That is why they have the following confidentiality statement at the bottom of all their emails. Just an fyi...

"CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure
under applicable law. Any unauthorized use, distribution, copying or
disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original
transmission."

Big congrats Motions! You are in a rare group of audiophiles able to build such an awesome system. The new M Project speakers look to be pushing Magico's current technology to the next level including drivers, cabinet design and materials. And the fact this is a limited edition run should help maintain their value over time. Given how far Magico progressed with the S3 & S5, I can only imagine how good these new M speakers must sound. Btw I agree with an earlier comment that the Soulution 700 series amps are a very good match with Magico. Let us now your first impressions once they're up and running! :)

I hope this is not too off topic, but a Magico dealer told me that he thought that the S1 sounds more like the Q1 than the S5 sounds like the Q5. I've heard three of these four speakers, excluding the Q1, so I can't really comment. Has anyone else done this analysis?

Only heard 3 out of 4 of those.
The S1 has much more body and weight. Matter of fact, I heard the S1 right after the S5, in the same room (big one) and electronics, and it didn't lack for bass. It could also play LOUD, something the Q1 is simply not capable of.
Out of those, the Q1 is my least favourite. Of course, this takes in consideration my tastes, and the kind of music I listen...

alexandre

Only heard 3 out of 4 of those.
The S1 has much more body and weight. Matter of fact, I heard the S1 right after the S5, in the same room (big one) and electronics, and it didn't lack for bass. It could also play LOUD, something the Q1 is simply not capable of.
Out of those, the Q1 is my least favourite. Of course, this takes in consideration my tastes, and the kind of music I listen...

I own both Q1 and S1. I listened to them in the same room on the same system several time. The Q1 is MUCH superior to the S1: as good bass extension, as good imaging, but much more transparency. Even non audiophile visitors could make the difference: they all loved the S1 ... but when I switched to Q1 they didn't want me to switch back.
The S5 has never been designed to compete with the Q5, so not sure the comparison makes sense.

Would be interesting to know what types of music asiufy (alexandre) and stereo listen to.

Thank you,will post my 1st impression when they up and running when i received the speakers hopefully by early November..Understand from my local dealer the limited 50 pairs should have all been taken up by now..Mine was ordered less then a week after it was launched and my order was like around pair nos 30 or late 20s.

Thank you,will post my 1st impression when they up and running when i received the speakers hopefully by early November..Understand from my local dealer the limited 50 pairs should have all been taken up by now..Mine was ordered less then a week after it was launched and my order was like around pair nos 30 or late 20s.

May I ask your preference for color? :)

Black Carbon Fibre finish

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing