Hint of new Magico products

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
weird how my original post's and quoted replies' photos also changed; thankfully I had the retouched photo... must be the software confusing filenames between posts

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I am very optimistic about the potential of this M Project line. If they make a smaller 2 1/2 or 3 way, it could well be the speaker that convinces me to eventually replace my Mini 2. Though this speaker looks like a marriage between the S and Q series, it also resembles an all-aluminum Mini enclosure without the stand. I think I recall a Magico floor standing version of the Mini in some of their early prototype designs.

I wonder if the midrange driver is sealed in its own enclosure? And what the efficiency is? If this line is significantly easier to drive and sounds accurate without losing musicality, it should be a really successful design. It sure looks great.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a future Mini M or an M2 or M3, a small floor stander the size of an S3. Very exciting.

jfkbike

Jan 13, 2011
Florida
Don't think it is a new line, but a limited edition speaker to celebrate their 10th anniversary. Surprised they have not posted more info yet.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — JUNE 2, 2014 — HAYWARD, CALIFORNIA USA

Magico Celebrates Its Tenth Anniversary with the
Limited Edition Release of the “M Project”

Paying homage to everything Magico has built over the last ten years, we
are proud to announce the release of the M Project, a limited-edition
loudspeaker that encapsulates our spirit, our accomplishments, and our
latest state-of-the-art technology that will – once again – set a new
industry standard. With production limited to 50 pairs, The M Project will
be uniquely positioned as a cornerstone for the most resolving and
discerning music systems extant.
A three-way, five-driver floorstanding loudspeaker – borrowing familiar
motifs from the Q series, the original Mini, and the new S series – the M
Project sports a newly designed curved shape, which minimizes internal
resonances and enables an industry-leading minimal amount of damping. We
further optimized our signature front baffle contour to incorporate edgefree
top and bottom plates, integrating a new enclosure comprising
aluminum skeleton topology, our signature acoustically optimized front
plate, and carbon-fiber sides

The M Project features a new tweeter we designed from the ground up,
using a groundbreaking advanced diamond-coated beryllium diaphragm with
optimized geometry. Created using state-of-the-art finite element analysis
modeling tools, it pushes high-frequency reproduction one step closer to
perfection, skillfully leveraging beryllium’s physical properties (closer to
the theoretical ideal) yet without gaining the extra weight normally
associated with diamond’s specific gravity. This new technology enabled us
to increase the dome diameter to 28mm (vs. the 26mm of yore), improving
many aspects of performance while enabling even greater power handling.
Combining these components with a new motor system in a new acoustically
improved back chamber, the results are the lowest distortion possible
today in a high-frequency transducer.

Both bass and midrange drivers employ innovative techniques that provide
superior potential to control cone geometry in multiple dimensions in
order to achieve optimal behavior in each driver’s frequency range while
reducing non-pistonic motion, thereby pushing distortion components even
lower than before. The process is further advanced by precise control of
all manufacturing and environmental parameters to ensure an even forming
process with enhanced coupling to the rubber surround. The latest 3D
laser scanning techniques were used to achieve these goals.
The midrange driver, derived directly from the Q7, is a 6” unit with a 55mm
voice coil coupled to a new Magico Nano-Tec cone. It utilizes an underhung
neodymium base motor system using an extra-large magnet (OD=120mm,
10mm in height, N48H grade) and a top stabilizing magnet to get a super
stabilized magnetic field of 1.7 Tesla in a 15mm air gap, resulting in a pure
vented titanium voice coil. The M Project midrange has +/- 6mm of
stabilized excursion at very high sensitivity, enabling 120dB (at 1m) of
distortion-free playback in the midband.

Also created exclusively for The M Project is our new 10” driver, using a
new Magico Nano-Tec cone. It leverages a new magnet system with half an
inch of linear movement to produce clean and accurate low frequencies,
undistorted even at a very high maximum SPL (120dB @ 50Hz at one meter),
while maintaining an incredibly low inductance of <0.15 mH.
All five drivers are masterfully integrated using Magico’s exclusive
crossover topology, resulting in the M Project achieving the best room
integration possible in the low frequencies, while delivering the lowest,
loudest, cleanest reproduction with ease of drive regardless of amplifier.

SPECIFICATIONS
Driver Complement:
1 x 1” MBD28 Tweeter
1 x 6” MP6004 Nano-Tec Midrange
3 x 10” MP1005 Nano-Tec Woofer
Sensitivity: 91dB
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 50 kHz
Recommended Power: 50 – 1000 Watts
Dimensions: 56”H x 23”D x 15”W (145cm x 57cm x 37cm)
Weight: 400 lbs. (180 kg.)

PRICING AND AVAILABILITY
The US Retail Price of the Magico M Project starts at $129,000/pr.
Delivery will begin in Oct 2014.

About MAGICO
Magico was created over a decade ago for the sole purpose of leading a
no holds-barred assault on what is possible in contemporary loudspeaker
design. Inspired by the unique vision of industrial designer and
accomplished musician Alon Wolf, every Magico product is designed against
the true standard of perfect audio reproduction-live music. At Magico, we
strive to lead in the creation, development, and manufacture of the most
elegant and technologically advanced loudspeaker systems in the world.
Each product expresses our passion to craft uncompromising devices that
reveal the music as never before.

CONTACT
For more information on the M Project or any Magico loudspeaker, please
contact Magico LLC, Hayward, CA. USA, TEL: (510)-649-9700 x104,LLC, Hayward, CA. USA,
jon@magico.net.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
At only 50-pairs being made, I doubt there would be any left and possibly a bidding war!

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I heard most pairs of already pre-sold, so there will certainly be a run on the last pairs. We could have a new contender for "Best speakers in the world"...still i'm glad they will cost $129k+, I can still be happy with my S5's!

Here is the official PDF from Magico fyi..

View attachment M_Project_PR.pdf

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I don't understand why you would spend the time, money, and effort to design a loudspeaker and limit production to 50 pairs. You have to assume there will be offspring from this limited edition speaker that will have most of the DNA at a lower price. Otherwise, why do it?

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I don't understand why you would spend the time, money, and effort to design a loudspeaker and limit production to 50 pairs. You have to assume there will be offspring from this limited edition speaker that will have most of the DNA at a lower price. Otherwise, why do it?

Why did Sonus Faber build 30 pairs of Ex3mas?

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
The limited production of 50 pairs suggests this effort is to gauge customer and reviewer feedback before refreshing the Q Series, likely starting with a new Q5. 50 pairs would also likely be all that was required to recover design and production costs for the project, making the project cost-neutral. I think it will take much longer for any design elements to filter down to the S series, so S owners like me can relax :)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

because at 129k/pair, if you can sucker 50 rich dudes into the equation you make a cool quarter million in 8 weeks.

i heard several times this weekend that manufacturers are being told to make more expensive gear bc what used to be expensive isn't expensive now. basically, someone won't buy a 30k turntable now because others are 50k or 100k and therefore it must be inferior.

hifi is becoming such a joke.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
because at 129k/pair, if you can sucker 50 rich dudes into the equation you make a cool quarter million in 8 weeks.

i heard several times this weekend that manufacturers are being told to make more expensive gear bc what used to be expensive isn't expensive now. basically, someone won't buy a 30k turntable now because others are 50k or 100k and therefore it must be inferior.

I concur. Just navigated the MSB website and they now have the "Diamond select" DAC, which is basically a diamond with selected parts, selling for almost $50K more than the Diamond. Catering to the Russian and Chinese nouveau riche is the new game in town - what a joke.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

I concur. Just navigated the MSB website and they now have the "Diamond select" DAC, which is basically a diamond with selected parts, selling for almost $50K more than the Diamond. Catering to the Russian and Chinese nouveau riche is the new game in town - what a joke.

:)..

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Keith in all fairness, would you turn the business down if someone said they'd pay triple for your services provided they were your only client?

So what's wrong with a company making an all out effort, that spares no cost and they'll pay for it. Sorry but that's capitalism and its their money. Same thing if someone buys and an expensive car and gets it customized. Does anyone complain then?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Keith in all fairness, would you turn the business down if someone said they'd pay triple for your services provided they were your only client?

So what's wrong with a company making an all out effort, that spares no cost and they'll pay for it. Sorry but that's capitalism and its their money. Same thing if someone buys and an expensive car and gets it customized. Does anyone complain then?

Well said, Myles. This is capitalism, and I for one think we are better off for it. Magico has a history of limited production, pushing technological limits designs. I'm sorry to learn that this is a special project and not the launch of a new M line. But, it looks like it will succeed, and perhaps there will be trickle down to smaller designs in the future. I still see the possibility of a Mini M with this technology. The carbon fiber sides are a surprise, but I bet it looks awesome in real life.

I think we should be grateful that there are customers willing to buy such designs. It means companies will have the revenue for cutting edge R&D and this moves along high end audio technology. Others manufacturers may be influenced, inspired, or induced to compete. I'm glad companies like this exist to push the art. Think Ferrari and formula one racing or any other cutting edge business.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Well said, Myles. This is capitalism, and I for one think we are better off for it. Magico has a history of limited production, pushing technological limits designs. I'm sorry to learn that this is a special project and not the launch of a new M line. But, it looks like it will succeed, and perhaps there will be trickle down to smaller designs in the future. I still see the possibility of a Mini M with this technology. The carbon fiber sides are a surprise, but I bet it looks awesome in real life.

I think we should be grateful that there are customers willing to buy such designs. It means companies will have the revenue for cutting edge R&D and this moves along high end audio technology. Others manufacturers may be influenced, inspired, or induced to compete. I'm glad companies like this exist to push the art. Think Ferrari and formula one racing or any other cutting edge business.

Yes, what people tend to forget is that R&D costs are written off against the top of the line products. And there's a lot of R&D costs in the Magico speakers. Then the technology is affordable enough to use in other products in the line.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

Well, I believe the Q7 lists for $175,000, so this is a bargin, looks better, and probably sounds just as good, if not better.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Yes, what people tend to forget is that R&D costs are written off against the top of the line products. And there's a lot of R&D costs in the Magico speakers. Then the technology is affordable enough to use in other products in the line.

+1
It is not like there are too many high-end companies that actually do real R&D and real manufacturing. Walking around at the Munich show I felt that every carpenter is now also a speaker builder. How much real R&D goes into some of these expensive TIDAL or MARTEN? You can count on one hand the companies that actually build their own drivers, and most of them are not in the mega $ category anyway.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Agree with PeterA and Myles!

Hope that there will be a M Series of M5, M3, M1... using the same new technologies soon!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing