High Mass thread Drive

thekong

May 10, 2012
Hi Peter, beautiful turntable! I have a question about its operation. I see that the motor pulley has two levels, which I assume are for 33.3 and 45 rpm respectively, so you switch speed by physically moving the string from one level to the other. If positive, is the string you are using relatively inelastic like the Micro Seiki string? If so, I would think it should be difficult to move the inelastic string from the 33.3 to the 45 rpm level, as both the turntable and motor pot are basically immovable?

Thanks !

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
  • Haha
Reactions: Lagonda and mtemur

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Peter, beautiful turntable! I have a question about its operation. I see that the motor pulley has two levels, which I assume are for 33.3 and 45 rpm respectively, so you switch speed by physically moving the string from one level to the other. If positive, is the string you are using relatively inelastic like the Micro Seiki string? If so, I would think it should be difficult to move the inelastic string from the 33.3 to the 45 rpm level, as both the turntable and motor pot are basically immovable?

Thanks !

Hello Kong, Thank you. The upper pulley is for both 33.333 and for 45. The lower pulley is for 78. Speed is adjusted between 33 and 45 at the touch of a button on the controller.

Yes, the thread is completely inelastic. The thread tension is very important for best sound. One can also adjust the torque of the motor, so generally the looser the thread the higher the torque. I currently have it set pretty loose, but there is not slippage. I have found that the less influence the motor has on the platter, the batter, in this high mass low friction bearing design.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda and thekong

thekong

May 10, 2012
Hello Kong, Thank you. The upper pulley is for both 33.333 and for 45. The lower pulley is for 78. Speed is adjusted between 33 and 45 at the touch of a button on the controller.

Yes, the thread is completely inelastic. The thread tension is very important for best sound. One can also adjust the torque of the motor, so generally the looser the thread the higher the torque. I currently have it set pretty loose, but there is not slippage. I have found that the less influence the motor has on the platter, the batter, in this high mass low friction bearing design.

Thanks Peter for the detailed reply, appreciated !

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

cdk84

Dec 19, 2015
I had the privilege of listening with Peter this Tuesday afternoon. We heard a couple of LPs that have served as references in the past, on the Micro Seiki SX8000-2, the AS 1000 and the AS 2000. Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" and Carla White’s “Mood Swings” each sounded qualitatively more engaging, more believable truly more *palpable* than ever before. Peter is also experimenting with some aspects of his system, but I will leave that to him to describe.

The impression that remains with me, three days later, is that the music was fully scaled to create a Not-Hostile, but convincing takeover by enlisting the entire room as part of the aural experience: that is the way music sounds in a live venue, particularly when there are no intervening electronics between the sound and the listener.

Differences at this level of information retrieval can be increasingly subtle: the AS2000 renders more than the AS1000, though I would feel deeply privileged to have the latter table in my system. And I simply cannot improve upon the description Peter has offered above: his perception and explanation are spot on.

That said, each of us heard things with Peter’s most recent adjustments to the system that we had never heard to this extent, namely the subtlety of Carla White’s phrasing and the interaction between Muddy Waters’ and Buddy Guy’s guitars.

There is a Great Deal going on in a refined, professional musical performance; it’s better still when the event is exceptionally well captured in the grooves. When it’s possible to hear a presentation like that offered by the American Sound 2000, it is a genuine, humbling privilege. It astonishes me that we have yet to retrieve, a century after its creation, all that technology has been able to lay in the grooves of a finely made LP. David Karmeli’s genius in the AS2000 has brought vinyl playback to a pinnacle. I can only DREAM of what his new table will offer. And I can’t wait to hear it….

In the meantime, Peter continues to push the boundaries of musical engagement in a way that aptly compliments the achievement that is the AS2000. Remarkable. Alive. Memorable Listening.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I had the privilege of listening with Peter this Tuesday afternoon. We heard a couple of LPs that have served as references in the past, on the Micro Seiki SX8000-2, the AS 1000 and the AS 2000. Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" and Carla White’s “Mood Swings” each sounded qualitatively more engaging, more believable truly more *palpable* than ever before. Peter is also experimenting with some aspects of his system, but I will leave that to him to describe.

Differences at this level of information retrieval can be increasingly subtle: the AS2000 renders more than the AS1000, though I would feel deeply privileged to have the latter table in my system. And I simply cannot improve upon the description Peter has offered above: his perception and explanation are spot on.

David, We have learned much about this wonderful hobby by listening together. You are one of the very few people who have actually directly compared all three turntables, the SX8000 II, the American Sound, and the AS2000, to each other in the same system. These are the experiences through which we learn. Each one of these turntables is an achievement and real pleasure to see, touch, and hear.

• Love
Reactions: cdk84

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing