Does anyone know of an high-end surround processor which also
has high-end stereo sound?

Best regards.

Michael B

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I guess Meridian, Datasat, Trinnov, Illusonic? I think the first 3 are known for their room correction/processing as well. Ping Kal Rubinson if he doesn't stop by this thread, or read his reviews in Stereophile.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I guess Meridian, Datasat, Trinnov, Illusonic? I think the first 3 are known for their room correction/processing as well. Ping Kal Rubinson if he doesn't stop by this thread, or read his reviews in Stereophile.

Your best bet is a processor with digital out so you can use an outboard high end dac. Trinnov can do this and theta cb IV will integrate with gen viii dac.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Your best bet is a processor with digital out so you can use an outboard high end dac. Trinnov can do this and theta cb IV will integrate with gen viii dac.

The Datasat can too, right?

MLB

Apr 22, 2013

Hey tanks for your inputs. However im not sure how a dac should be used in such a setup please clarify??

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
You already have some good answers but you gotta say more. Do you want to replace a high-end analog stereo preamp? Do you have analog sources? What are your sources and amps? What are the media will you use for stereo and for surround?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Hey tanks for your inputs. However im not sure how a dac should be used in such a setup please clarify??

The processor has digital outputs, so you use an audiophile grade dac for your mains, hooked up to the processor. You can use bass management and DRC from the processor on two channel, but have the 2 channel dac downstream.

duffer

Jan 27, 2015
I would recommend you look at Classe. I have the SSP 800 and I operate it in high quality 2 channel mode as well as in a home theater setting. It is hard to serve both masters, but it beats having to build out two separate rooms. I have had mine for 2 1/2 years and love it. You can also look at Meridian, but that is even more money. I am not sure what your budget is, but Classe is not cheap. You won't regret it if you have the means.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
The Bryston SP3 has the lock on this market, if you have $10k.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
The processor has digital outputs, so you use an audiophile grade dac for your mains, hooked up to the processor. You can use bass management and DRC from the processor on two channel, but have the 2 channel dac downstream.

Or put a stereo preamp w/a passthru for HT after the processor, and run the better DAC and whatever else into it (the stereo preamp) for 2ch. I like this approach better (than 1 box) because you can change/upgrade discretely. Changing tech means processors can have shorter shelf life than other components.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Or put a stereo preamp w/a passthru for HT after the processor, and run the better DAC and whatever else into it (the stereo preamp) for 2ch. I like this approach better (than 1 box) because you can change/upgrade discretely. Changing tech means processors can have shorter shelf life than other components.

The Trinnov is the inverse of an HT passthrough. It can be used effectively a 2 channel digital passthrough with the option to engage bass management and/or DRC. You can put all the 2 channel audiophile gear downstream you want. I had a SOTA DAC and analog preamp in the 2 channel chain downstream.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I have been happy with my Classe SSP-800. To my ears it's a very musical unit. I never knew how wide and deep of a soundstage it produced until changing cabling and speakers!

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022
The Bryston SP3 has the lock on this market, if you have $10k.
The SP3 has two channel bypass. Making it one of the better pre amps out there when in 2 Channel Bypass mode and still is one of the best processor to date. For two channel mode, I run a BDP2 and BDA 3 DAC. Awesome sound. Using all balanced cables.
SP3 also has an upgrade path for hdmi updates.

Last edited:

Mabutu

Mar 20, 2019
I’ve tried many home theatre processors. And I use Vitus and Magico Q5 for music

the Bryston sp-3 is a phenomenal box for 2 channel audio as well as home theatre. If you don’t care for room correction , 12 speakers , Atmos etc it’s a no brainer.

fully balanced input to out put , class A processing. It’s the most beautiful sounding processor I’ve heard. And the bonus is I can hear dialogue so clearly now. Audioholics has some you tube videos on strategies for improving centre channel intelligibility. You can dispense with all their suggestions , as it’s a sign of a garbage processor or centre speaker .

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I'm a dealer for Storm, so take this as you will, but having A/Bd all of those mentioned, I think the Storm ISP MK2/MK3 is the best of the lot. The Bryston SP-4 was based on the Storm platform. I honestly don't think Bryston is a competitor in the high-end surround processor space, it's pretty much of a dead platform.

Sep 10, 2022
Minidsp SHD/Flex running DIRAC measure pretty good over on ASR. might be giving it a shot soon using digital out to my dac.

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022
Another consideration is how long it’ll take to arrive because a lot of the technology and parts are backordered for a long time. For example it took 9 1/2 months to get my speakers and they’re out of California. I’m in Canada.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing