High end Munich 2017

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Do we have independent verification from trusted ears that heard the system at both shows?? If not, then whether or not it sounded better at Axpona is nothing more than hearsay. I heard it in Munich only. It was not the best but certainly not the worst. It was enjoyable but not as noteworthy as one would hope from lineup.

From Greg Weaver at PFO

http://positive-feedback.com/show-r...ney-von-schweikert-audio-ultra-11-experience/

and Jonathan Valin's report here

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/axpona-2017-loudspeakers-20k-and-up/

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
While I partly agree, no one should expect that just because they packed up, transported, and put together a system they should get only positive reviews. I have still not heard a displayer say guys, I have my system at Munich, unfortunately we do have a challenging room, but feel free to check out. Everyone is always like we have set up a room so it is obviously going to get glowing reviews, which will go through that same internet amplification process you mentioned above, and will fetch us a lot of sales at the ridiculous prices we are advertising at, because, as Munich will prove, we are the best.

That wasn't the context of my comment.

I said "I saw a lot of manufacturers who had taken a lot of time, effort and money to create a presence at Munich that will be easily negated by online comments from consumers who did not make the effort to attend, simply because it costs them nothing to post relative to actually going, allowing them to cast aspersions from afar in which those same comments are amplified by an internet culture in which an online comment is perceived as being more “true” than anything in real life."

853guy

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That wasn't the context of my comment.

I said "I saw a lot of manufacturers who had taken a lot of time, effort and money to create a presence at Munich that will be easily negated by online comments from consumers who did not make the effort to attend, simply because it costs them nothing to post relative to actually going, allowing them to cast aspersions from afar in which those same comments are amplified by an internet culture in which an online comment is perceived as being more “true” than anything in real life."

853guy

Agreed

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Hello Amir,

That would be sage and profound advice had your legacy of conduct on this and other forums not been belittling members whose world-view is different to yours by intimating their hearing is deficient simply because they refuse to jump through your ABX hoops to reinforce your own world-view in which you mistake absence of evidence for evidence of absence. Not to mention the lack of professionalism you displayed during your many, many attempts to undermine the credibility of the Blu-Ray platform during your tenure at Microsoft. While I appreciate the sentiment of your comment, the thousands of posts that stand as an online testament to conduct that undermines the credibility of that same sentiment seem to be only accumulating, and not in your favour.

853guy

Absolutely agree, Amir's behaviour & technical misinformation disseminated on AVS & other forums regarding Blu-ray is notorious & stands as testament to his personality & pseudo-righteousness expressed in his post about Leif.
When Leif states that you absolutely did not discuss with him the room acoustics, the evidence falls strongly in his favour & against your claims based on your history.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
P.S. As to the "bitching and moaning"...? How many posts is it now you've made apropos a show you did not attend? If you really feel your interests are under-represented, be a "paying visitor" next time and have some skin in the game.
Completely agree, again - 'skin in the game' sorts things out somewhat

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I paid 20 € for a two-day pass to Munich. With flights from continental Europe, two meals, several coffees and many bottles of sparkling water, I’d say the cumulative price of admission for me was less than 500 €.

That’s significantly less - and by orders of magnitude - than the cost of the booth alone, not including the costs associated with freighting/shipping, flights, accommodation, meals, and time lost to travel that ever single manufacturer would have accumulated over those four days.

So what if your expenses are much less than those of the manufacturer? You are only one visitor, each manufacturer's room sees many visitors -- that's what the show is for. Sorry, I fail to see any point in your argument here.

Me? I saw a lot of manufacturers who had taken a lot of time, effort and money to create a presence at Munich that will be easily negated by online comments from consumers who did not make the effort to attend, simply because it costs them nothing to post relative to actually going, allowing them to cast aspersions from afar in which those same comments are amplified by an internet culture in which an online comment is perceived as being more “true” than anything in real life.

True. People who didn't attend the show shouldn't comment on the sound, unless it's something trivial like putting way too big speakers in a way too small room. As you will have noted I also did not comment on the sound of the Von Schweikert room in Munich, and I emphasized that I could not do so.

My further comments were more general observations on less than good sound at shows -- as I also experienced at AXPONA in Chicago, a show that I did attend, in some rooms. If my comments were misconstrued as a specific attack on the sound in that room in Munich then people haven't really paid attention to what I said. I did specifically address the whining of one manufacturer about "appreciation of the efforts" and "giving the exhibitor a break", but that is an attack on attitude, not on a specific sound that I cannot comment on.

Your own system thread and the many posts you’ve made in regard to it stand as a real-world record of the time, effort and energy of what it takes to make a room “work”. Were your suddenly asked to pack up your system, transport it and set it up in a room you were unfamiliar with, would you be confident you could recreate anything close to what you currently achieve in your own room, and in less than day? Think about that for a moment.

And I did, if you bothered to carefully read my previous comments. Yes, you are correct, 853guy, that you cannot automatically expect a great sound at a show under sub-optimal circumstances. However, as long as the industry cannot agree on a better model than shows in sub-optimal venues and with hasty set-up, manufacturers have no right to complain when someone finds the sound bad. You and I may know that you should appreciate when there is good sound in a room, but withhold judgment when there isn't, but that is not how things generally work. Visitors expect good sound, period.

Exhibitors, you need to stop making excuses. And no, nobody will shed a tear for you in "appreciation of your efforts" and "give you a break". That's not how it works. When you get negative comments, suck it up. Life is tough. Get over it.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
This thread has really dwindled down to Peter B territory - who is the chaff this time?

I think manufacturers need to take the high road.

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
This thread has really dwindled down to Peter B territory - who is the chaff this time?

I think manufacturers need to take the high road.

+1....some of the commentary in this thread...Dale Carnegie "first create an eager want"...it ain't.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I think at a show a manufacturer should play what he thinks makes his system sound good and those interested in serious evaluation should carry their own software or seek them out separately. I carried LPs, and at the end of two days my back was hurting from the weight of carrying them around.

The last audio show I attended was in NYC about five years ago. I took a handful of my own LPs. I was lucky enough to play them in a few rooms. In two cases, members of the audience took out their iPhones and photographed the covers so that they could look for the LPs on Ebay. In another case, the room exhibitor contacted me a couple days later for the specifics of one of my records. He wanted to use it in future shows. I must say, it highlighted the strengths of his system and pleased the audience. He told me he waited for all day to see if I would return with that LP. Some exhibitors are less accommodating.

I respect the effort that it must take to exhibit one's products in such an environment. It can not be easy.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I was only addressing my Mocha Black XLF. Smaller Wilson's - up to the Sasha - in color look great and integrate perfectly in many decors. A good friend of mine got my old Wilson /Puppy 7 Ferrari Red and can not change speakers anymore as his wife loves them and considers they are now part of the room decoration. My current main problem with Wilson speakers aspect is the stainless steel speaker screws - they should be black to disappear!

When listening I like a speaker that does not invade my listening space, or at less does not call attention on it. Surely it was not the case of the great looking red speakers. :) Soundlab A1's in black are so uniform and boring that you manage to forget about them!

Brass screws sound better... try it! ;)

Industrial design is super-important for speakers in a living room and can easily disqualify a potential candidate in some situations. There are some very very poor industrial designs out there, I can't understand how the mfg'ers get away with it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The last audio show I attended was in NYC about five years ago. I took a handful of my own LPs. I was lucky enough to play them in a few rooms. In two cases, members of the audience took out their iPhones and photographed the covers so that they could look for the LPs on Ebay. In another case, the room exhibitor contacted me a couple days later for the specifics of one of my records. He wanted to use it in future shows. I must say, it highlighted the strengths of his system and pleased the audience. He told me he waited for all day to see if I would return with that LP. Some exhibitors are less accommodating.

I respect the effort that it must take to exhibit one's products in such an environment. It can not be easy.

Yes, I get that too. A lot of people appreciate it, and often draws more crowd in

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

I wholeheartedly agree. Love finding new music and I have been very impressed with some of the selections brought to my room for playback.

Damon Von Schweikert

WBF Technical Expert
Sep 15, 2016
California
www.vonschweikert.com
As some of you may know, I abstain from commenting in online forums for a number of reasons. This decision is based on decades of experience.

That said, I’d like to make an exception here and add my own perspective to this discussion.

First off, my thanks goes out to anyone attempting to steer this discussion in a constructive and open minded way but especially to Joe Lavrencik for attempting to share his extensive and professional perspective on the challenges of being an exhibitor at shows as well as his personal confidence in what my partner Leif and I are attempting to achieve with VSA.

As anyone who has extensive experience with exhibiting knows, NO show is perfect. Even when you assemble the system in advance (which due to logistics and expense is far less often than many may realize), there are still numerous variables to getting good sound. From my experience, the sound has never been as good and certainly not better than a purpose built dedicated soundroom with a synergized system specifically assembled to take advantage of those room dimensions. So from my experience, show performance is ALWAYS a fraction of ideal. What exhibitors attempt in the 24 or 48 hours setup time before a show is to achieve as close to 100% as possible and often fall short by double digits.

The key word here is EXPERIENCE.

What I’m reading in this thread from a vocal minority of “experts” is their opinions on what manufactures in general should do at shows and how in turn, their products should be perceived by audiences. This “Monday morning quarterbacking” is not exclusive to our hobby as my idiom illustrates.

So while everyone is entitled to an opinion, I’m sure no one here would dispute that some opinions are far less valuable than others depending on the situation ;)

As for VSA’s performance at both AXPONA and Munich, I’m very good with it. And that’s after spending tens of thousands of our dollars on each show. In fact, I’m still blown away by the feedback from people whose opinions I hold in high regard. And they shared it publicly for all to benefit from. And there will be more to come from Munich I’m sure.

So if VSA products or our room’s performance at shows is not your “cup of tea,” I’m very OK with that too. Some people like Rocky Road ice cream so as you can see, there’s no accounting for taste :p

We don’t work to satisfy our detractors; only ourselves and the people who appreciate what we do and that philosophy has propelled us to our current position in the marketplace after 42 years of effort. As I said, I’m very satisfied with how we’re doing and thanks for your interest.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
As anyone who has extensive experience with exhibiting knows, NO show is perfect. Even when you assemble the system in advance (which due to logistics and expense is far less often than many may realize), there are still numerous variables to getting good sound. From my experience, the sound has never been as good and certainly not better than a purpose built dedicated soundroom with a synergized system specifically assembled to take advantage of those room dimensions. So from my experience, show performance is ALWAYS a fraction of ideal. What exhibitors attempt in the 24 or 48 hours setup time before a show is to achieve as close to 100% as possible and often fall short by double digits.

Thanks Damon, I appreciate your feedback.

As to the above: Of course. Nobody has disputed that. That is why, as I have said a few times now on this thread, I am happy when the sound is good, but withhold judgement when in my view the sound is not so good. But you cannot expect this from all attendees of a show.

I reported on a room at AXPONA that particularly impressed me, which in my view had truly great sound. Yet I also pointed out the shortcomings of the sound, some of which were clearly traceable to room constraints, some probably not. So yes, even in that case the sound was not as good as it could have been in a dedicated home set-up, for example, and I was keenly aware of that. The exhibitors in that room appreciated my feedback without reservations, by the way.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

As a reviewer I am often allowed to make requests...this year though I didn't bring my music...big mistake. In the past though I would bring a really great recording of Britten Violin Concerto with Maxim Vengerov on violin and conducted by Rostropovich on EMI. Excellent recording for both small scale solo violin (there is a pretty long cadenza) and large scale dynamics. Very transparent as well. I was often asked what it was so they could demo it later.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
This year's Munich High End was particular challenging for us in the Aequo Audio / Audiopax / Sound Galleries Blue Moon room. With thinner walls than in the past, and a central location in Halle 3, we had an ambient noise level in our cabin of no less than 65 dB !!

Luckily for us we were showcasing for the first time, active anti-vibration platforms and active ground control blocks which helped transform blah sound due to dirty power and vibrations from people walking around and the building site across the street to captivating refinement which the speakers, amps and DAC can and did deliver

Here is Michael Lavorgna's report on Audiostream https://www.audiostream.com/content/sound-galleries-experience#comment-516726

The Sound Galleries collective continues to impress !

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
But neither of these guys heard the same system at Munich, right? THat is what i meant, one trusted guy (that doesn't mean JV to me at least) who was at both shows and heard the same system both places.

sorry, I misunderstood

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
So what if your expenses are much less than those of the manufacturer? You are only one visitor, each manufacturer's room sees many visitors -- that's what the show is for. Sorry, I fail to see any point in your argument here.

Risk versus reward. I temper my expectations based on my investment. For 20 € (the price of admission) I don’t expect much. For 20,000 € (the price of a manufacturer’s exhibit) my expectations would be very different. Considering how little risk I took, I can say, as I did in my show report, that my expectations were not only rewarded but exceeded. Given what we know about the problematicism of show conditions, and given the relatively tiny value of the investment I paid in admission, which do you think is more logical: To raise one’s expectations, or lower them?

I get that you believe “paying visitors (…) deserve better”. Me? I don’t think I “deserve” anything. My hope was that the money I spent would be returned to me in enjoyment and it was. But “deserve better”? Honestly, I’m just very grateful I was permitted the opportunity and wander the halls and enjoy the rooms for whatever it was they were able to offer. “Deserve” is one of those words that speaks of entitlement, and given the world these days, I try to be cautious about what I feel I “deserve” because I know that the quality of life I enjoy is propped up by systemic inequality of which I am merely a benefactor.

So let me ask you, as an individual who didn’t attend, do you still think you “deserve better” in terms of reward, from a risk/investment you never made?

And actually, visitors is not just what the show is for. It’s for dealers and distributors and potential dealers and distributors as well (1). Aesthetix’s Jim White said the reason they go to the show is because they get to have face time with their European dealer and distributor network, which I’d hazard a guess provides far more long-term benefit than appeasing the sensibilities of one or two audiophiles who think the show should be all about them.

True. People who didn't attend the show shouldn't comment on the sound, unless it's something trivial like putting way too big speakers in a way too small room. As you will have noted I also did not comment on the sound of the Von Schweikert room in Munich, and I emphasized that I could not do so.

My further comments were more general observations on less than good sound at shows -- as I also experienced at AXPONA in Chicago, a show that I did attend, in some rooms. If my comments were misconstrued as a specific attack on the sound in that room in Munich then people haven't really paid attention to what I said. I did specifically address the whining of one manufacturer about "appreciation of the efforts" and "giving the exhibitor a break", but that is an attack on attitude, not on a specific sound that I cannot comment on.

Like I said, I prefer not to make generalisations in cases where the non-linearity of the variables (2) is greater than my ability to control them, because I can only ever make broad-based assumptions, and by doing so, generate observations of lesser and lesser value. A show like Munich is full of non-linear variables, all of which are outside my control. Therefore, not only do I temper my expectations relative to the level of admission, I try to only make comments contextualised to that particular room and my perception of it and avoid the temptation to generalise beyond it. This is a thread about Munich. The comments that have the most utility value for me are from those who attended the show. And despite attending the show in Munich and many hi-fi shows prior, I try to avoid then extrapolating my experience toward shows I have not attended.

And unlike you (who did not attend), I did appreciate the efforts of every single manufacturer in having some skin in the game and showing their wares in conditions that most would agree are sub-optimal. Asking for the bar to be raised without having skin in the game would be obviating myself of the responsibility for my own well-being, and I personally prefer not to expect someone else to take responsibility for my happiness by asking them to increase their risk whilst mitigating my own.

And I did, if you bothered to carefully read my previous comments. Yes, you are correct, 853guy, that you cannot automatically expect a great sound at a show under sub-optimal circumstances. However, as long as the industry cannot agree on a better model than shows in sub-optimal venues and with hasty set-up, manufacturers have no right to complain when someone finds the sound bad. You and I may know that you should appreciate when there is good sound in a room, but withhold judgment when there isn't, but that is not how things generally work. Visitors expect good sound, period.

Exhibitors, you need to stop making excuses. And no, nobody will shed a tear for you in "appreciation of your efforts" and "give you a break". That's not how it works. When you get negative comments, suck it up. Life is tough. Get over it.

I did read your previous comments. But I struggle to comprehend that although you acknowledge the problematic nature of shows and their sub-optimal conditions, you still feel manufacturers have “no right to complain”, despite acknowledging the very variables that most often contribute to their rooms sounding bad?

Ah, “the industry”. So easy to say, so amorphous, so non-specific and lacking in personal responsibility. If only “they” would do something. If only “they” would raise the bar. If only “they” took my needs and wants more seriously. C’mon, we’re all grown ups, right? Like I say, I prefer to consider myself as part of the solution (attending the show and commenting positively on the rooms that I liked) rather than be part of the problem in which I act in a manner that lessens my personal responsibility and creates a dichotomy of “me” and “them”.

Visitors expect good sound, period? No, Al, you “expect good sound, period”. I do not. Like I say, I temper my expectations in situations where the variables are non-linear and outside my control. I take whatever I get and make the most of it (3). The weird thing about all this? I went, and despite the risk associated with an experience in which the non-linearity of the variables were completely outside my control, came away with a lot of really positive experiences. You? You’ve risked nothing, and despite not being subject to the non-linearity of Munich's show conditions you are convinced must be sub-optimal, sound like you had a miserable time regardless.

I don't expect any of this to change your mind. That's not the purpose of my post. I offer it because I learned more by going to Munich than not going. If you attend next year, you may find the same thing happens for you.

Best,

853guy

(1) I saw quite a few smaller manufacturers with signs saying they were looking for dealers and distributors throughout Europe.

(2) Like sticking individual components into a completely unfamiliar room with associated components that are also unfamiliar, leading to a non-linear, asymmetrical result.

(3) Like who mixes and masters the albums I buy, and how they do it.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
853, some really good points
With the state of the world, a raging cynicism only exacerbated by everyone having a soapbox on social media, less and less sympathy and proportionality, I'm kinda siding w yr viewpoint
Other than being stressed out w my mega move and construction of new room and not having the time and money to visit this yr, I actively chose not to attend because I felt so many rooms last yr sounded less than ideal and had poor/repetitive choice of music
But 853 has cogently argued, and slowly convinced me, that my holier than thou attitude is much too harsh, and I'd be better off cutting the exhibitors some slack
Maybe I'll reattend next yr and go into rooms w a more inclusive, understanding frame of mind, and realise that so much has to go right for everyone to be happy
The move from my old room is illustrative of this
I loved the sound despite being aware of a fair number of shortcomings, but had some pretty brutal dismissals of my sound and esp my room
I can't tell you what a blow to my essential manliness this was, and seriously I took criticism really badly
With a fortune in funds and two lifetimes of stress sorting my room, I now have the stellar sound I would have begged, borrowed or stolen for, and I have so much more perspective on things
So 853, agreed, let's not jump on exhibitors who've struggled to get a great sound, and at least be open to trying to glean what they're trying to communicate
A failure trying can be informative too

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing