Hi from Sydney

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
Hi
My name is Andrew Stenhouse; I'm a new member from Sydney. Many will know me from other forums, either by the name tricka or drunkenrabbit...

I have been into music all of the life I remember, and hi fi for the last 10 years or so. I have played around with lots of different systems and transducers, and enjoy all types of systems but have a preference for warmer "musical" systems. I only play vinyl these days, as I find digital just doesn't interest me that much (although Spotify is a great resource for listening to albums you are thinking of buying...). Having said that I have done the whole computer audio/DSD thing, and certainly know how good digital can sound:it's all in the recording and mastering...I reckon.

My main interest in music is Classical & Opera - I like nearly all Classical but have a particular passion for Haydn & Handel, Beethoven and the Russians. I love Handel's Opera's, and have a real soft spot for our own Dame Joan.

Jazz from the 40's and 50's follows and to round it off I don't mind the odd bit of modern electronica.

I quit the hobby completely a year ago (to have a break) and have only just re- entered. Still working my system out, I have been playing with some Allnic gear. I currently run some Spendor SA1's and have some MMMicro Ones arriving next week to audition in home.

Outside music, I am a barrister (a lawyer that only appears in court) and specialize in family law - custody & property. I enjoy swimming in our gorgeous harbour / beaches, walking, BBQs and listening to as much music as I can. I try and get to as much live music as I can...which is an on going battle with work commitments.

I hope to learn from all the experienced members here, and contribute in some small way myself.

Good to see Alistair M; XV-1 and a couple other fellow Sydney siders have blazed the trial for me here...:)

Cheers

Andrew

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Welcome to the forum Andrew! It seems we run parallel musical tastes. I'm sure you will enjoy this forum like we do. Again, welcome!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi
My name is Andrew Stenhouse; I'm a new member from Sydney. Many will know me from other forums, either by the name tricka or drunkenrabbit...

I have been into music all of the life I remember, and hi fi for the last 10 years or so. I have played around with lots of different systems and transducers, and enjoy all types of systems but have a preference for warmer "musical" systems. I only play vinyl these days, as I find digital just doesn't interest me that much (although Spotify is a great resource for listening to albums you are thinking of buying...). Having said that I have done the whole computer audio/DSD thing, and certainly know how good digital can sound:it's all in the recording and mastering...I reckon.

My main interest in music is Classical & Opera - I like nearly all Classical but have a particular passion for Haydn & Handel, Beethoven and the Russians. I love Handel's Opera's, and have a real soft spot for our own Dame Joan.

Jazz from the 40's and 50's follows and to round it off I don't mind the odd bit of modern electronica.

I quit the hobby completely a year ago (to have a break) and have only just re- entered. Still working my system out, I have been playing with some Allnic gear. I currently run some Spendor SA1's and have some MMMicro Ones arriving next week to audition in home.

Outside music, I am a barrister (a lawyer that only appears in court) and specialize in family law - custody & property. I enjoy swimming in our gorgeous harbour / beaches, walking, BBQs and listening to as much music as I can. I try and get to as much live music as I can...which is an on going battle with work commitments.

I hope to learn from all the experienced members here, and contribute in some small way myself.

Good to see Alistair M; XV-1 and a couple other fellow Sydney siders have blazed the trial for me here...:)

Cheers

Andrew

Welcome, no better place to get back into the hobby than Allnic ;)

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
Welcome Andrew. Classical and electronica on LPs...... hope we aren't bidding against each other for Infected Mushroom vinyls. :)

ha ha - I hope so too: have been spinning James Blake's self title LP, Booka Shade's "Eve" and Darkside's "Physic" of late, thanks to the recommendations of a friend. All really good albums IMHO.

All and any recommendations gratefully received!

ps thanks for the welcome - very much appreciated :)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Welcome Andrew from the Great White North!

While we were basking in the coollness that was recorded to be -51°C. it's my understanding that you guys down under were sweltering with +51°C.

100°C of a difference. Kind of mind-boggling!

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
Thanks for the welcomes - makes me a happy little vegemite :)

Fortunately the 51 degrees aren't anywhere near me - nice balmy 26 degrees here. You have -51 c? Ouch! I'm just out for a swim - imagine that in -51 degrees

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thanks for the welcomes - makes me a happy little vegemite :)

Fortunately the 51 degrees aren't anywhere near me - nice balmy 26 degrees here. You have -51 c? Ouch! I'm just of for a swim - imagine that in -51 degrees

Well mate i will be in Melbourne *virtually* for the next 3 weeks as the Aussie Open gets underway. Tennis is a far greater passion for me than audio and there are going to be some very late nights as I stay glued to my TV and iPad!

Welcome!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
Well mate i will be in Melbourne *virtually* for the next 3 weeks as the Aussie Open gets underway. Tennis is a far greater passion for me than audio and there are going to be some very late nights as I stay glued to my TV and iPad!

Welcome!

Hi Andre

Hasn't Hewitt done well in Brisbane? Amazing - once a great always a great. I feel Federer will have the measure of him. Melbourne will be hot hot hot this year. I'll be glued to the telly as well - I love tennis - and all sport.

But first the cricket! We are in day 3 of the 5th Ashes Test against England. Looking good for us so far.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi Andre

Hasn't Hewitt done well in Brisbane? Amazing - once a great always a great. I feel Federer will have the measure of him. Melbourne will be hot hot hot this year. I'll be glued to the telly as well - I love tennis - and all sport.

But first the cricket! We are in day 3 of the 5th Ashes Test against England. Looking good for us so far.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Cheers
Andrew

Yes, indeed Rusty has blasted trough to the final against the Federer Express in Brisbane, where it is scorching.

It should be very interesting. Federer should plaster him, but Hewitt seems exceptionally fit this week..so we shall see.

I will be bleary eyed and nocturnal for 2 weeks..you are in real time!

Ah Cricket! You know us Yanks are clueless!!

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
Ah Cricket! You know us Yanks are clueless!!

Ha! that is too true - it is a game you have to grow up with - very nuanced and detailed. I love test cricket - so much about the journey and not necessarily the result (although always nice to sneak home in a tight test match). Music takes a very back seat while the cricket is on...

I will be bleary eyed and nocturnal for 2 weeks..you are in real time!

I know the feeling - like when Wimbledon is on - two weeks of no sleep and not very effective days at work..but so worth it !

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Ha! that is too true - it is a game you have to grow up with - very nuanced and detailed. I love test cricket - so much about the journey and not necessarily the result (although always nice to sneak home in a tight test match). Music takes a very back seat while the cricket is on...

See that is what makes Americans loved, and despised around the world of sports..it is all about winning!;)

Same here, stereo collects dust during slams.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Andrew

Welcome to the same time zone. :D

Looks like a few tennis fans here! I am still tossing up on going down for a few days.

I really hope Azarenka can kick Serena's butt! Not to sure she can do it thou, I might be content in just admiring Vica's butt

I think Joker looks good for the men's.

Cheers
Shane

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
See that is what makes Americans loved, and despised around the world of sports..it is all about winning!;)

Oh I think despised is abit strong - more bemused resignation captures it ha ha. The whole "Number 1" thing that accompanies US wins has us all either in fits of laughter or rolling our eyes at the crass Americans over here. We like our sportsman humble and understated in victory and generous in defeat - though they don't always behave that way now. Which is why young Leyton was never that loved here - far too much noise for us Aussies...Fortunately he has grown up a little..

Hi Andrew

Welcome to the same time zone.

Morning Shane - thanks mate - great to be here.

I'll just be admiring the womens butts! Don't see anyone beating Serena...

Joker - who is he? I am out of the nickname loop...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing