Has anyone moved on from idlers, Garrards??

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
The initial scheme is a combination of this deck, plinth and veneer. I currently have a 2-arm deck, I may go for another one.
View attachment 118460 View attachment 118461
View attachment 118459

The arm is a regular 12" Reed 3P like this.

View attachment 118462
The second arm is an Origin Live Illustrious Mk3 that is pretty good, but not very pretty. Aesthetically and budget-wise, a Schroder Model 2 would probably be a nice fit.

An arm I was interested in before I bought a Reed are the Wand units from New Zealand. They were impossible to fit to my existing turntable. They are giant killers and the styling is a nice match - possibly. I have a local dealer.
I bought the Reed 5A pivoted linear-tracker for mine, I will include a short video so anyone interested can see how the mechanism works.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Have always wanted to try one of those....seem like a great combo of belt and idler...
I have a friend with an audiophile system with McIntosh, Wilson XVX, Brinkman Balance with Lyra Etna, and Nordost cables. For some reason he also has a Schopper TD-124 with SPU A, doesn’t really fit with his system but he owns it nonetheless.

A few years ago several of us were over at his house listening and the sound was….well very analytical and boring. Then on a lark, one of the listeners asked to hear the TD-124 and BOOM! You had real engaging sound. It was amazing. I knew right there I had to own an idler.

Last edited:

kozzmo

Nov 19, 2019
I have two fully overhauled/upgraded TD 124/II in my secondary and office systems. I would not imagine something else though in the main system I have a belt driven turntable.

View attachment 118517
View attachment 118518
how do you like the Etna on the CB arm?? and what is that monolithic thing hanging over your table....I keep seeing those on this forum??

Reactions: dcc

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
Have always wanted to try one of those....seem like a great combo of belt and idler...
Indeed!! Here’s the story of my “acquisition…”
sometimes good luck happens. Not enough sadly.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
how do you like the Etna on the CB arm?? and what is that monolithic thing hanging over your table....I keep seeing those on this forum??

the Etna and the CB arm are a great match and an excellent synergy with the TD 124/II.

The monolithic thing is the CSPort static electricity removal & magnetic eraser. I have a second unit in my main system. it is similar to the DS Audio unit that I also have. It is very effective.

IMG_5556.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: kozzmo

kozzmo

Nov 19, 2019
the Etna and the CB arm are a great match and an excellent synergy with the TD 124/II.

the monolithic thing is the CSPort static electricity removal & magnetic eraser. I have a second unit in my main system. it is similar to the DS Audio unit that I also have. It is very effective.

View attachment 118531
well...something new to look into!!

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
It's a pain to set up that arm in the back on a two arm table...drives me nuts...
With my modest budget for a second arm, I'm looking at the Schroder Model 2, Glanz B and possibly the Wand.

The Wand installation is a real pain, the other two very easy.

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
I bought the Reed 5A pivoted linear-tracker for mine, I will include a short video so anyone interested can see how the mechanism works.

I see you have some Townshend feet installed. I was thinking or repurposing the feet I just installed under the base of my deck. Maybe I should get some Townshends.

IMG_2818 copy.jpg

kozzmo

Nov 19, 2019
With my modest budget for a second arm, I'm looking at the Schroder Model 2, Glanz B and possibly the Wand.

I just dont like aligning them with another arm in the way.....

Reactions: ssfas

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
I see you have some Townshend feet installed. I was thinking or repurposing the feet I just installed under the base of my deck. Maybe I should get some Townshends.

View attachment 118533
My Townshends do not stop footfall from causing the cartridge to bounce. I sometimes wish I had just placed the plinth upon sorbothane balls (or even squash balls).

Reactions: kozzmo

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
My Townshends do not stop footfall from causing the cartridge to bounce. I sometimes wish I had just placed the plinth upon sorbothane balls (or even squash balls).
Years ago I had my turntable on a Townshend Podium. As you can fine tune the springs, I could jump up and down and the thing didn't bounce at all.

Those legs are made mostly for rebuilds and the chap has sold over 3,000 sets on eBay alone. They isolate and height adjust, but it may be sorbothane balls.

My music room is the only suspended floor, but it's an inch of solid oak. Max Townshend used to have a video showing that vibration transmits through concrete.

Agrail

Nov 26, 2019
A fast track to audioneuroses...The rub with Squash balls or sorbothane is most turntables don't have even weight distribution. This makes leveling fun but also has ramifications in terms of resonance, (compression variation) squash balls in particular worsen over time.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
A fast track to audioneuroses...The rub with Squash balls or sorbothane is most turntables don't have even weight distribution. This makes leveling fun but also has ramifications in terms of resonance, (compression variation) squash balls in particular worsen over time.
I agree, the turntable corners weighed and fortunately the 100lbs weight fairly evenly distributed to each corner. The Townshend’s are adjustable if screwed onto bolts placed into the recesses cut by Russ into the bottom of the plinth, something we asked Russ to do, however the bolts were never placed so the plinth so it just rides on fully expanded devices, hence springy. Fortunately, the rack is fully adjustable for levelling and the turntable mass so great that the bubble spirit level atop the Reed tonearm doesn’t even flinch when I place a heavy metal puck over the spindle.

SONDEKNZ

Mar 2, 2021

I use a WAND PLUS 9.5"on our hot-rodded LP12.

The WAND uses a fairly slim central "pole" for mounting and will fit any (original) REGA hole of similar.

It can be a bit fiddly to fettle - and get all of the critical parameters right - but I'm not sure why there are references here to this arm being a pain to install.

It seems to fit most turntables pretty easily.

What have I missed?

[Yes - the WAND PLUS sounds awesome! ;) ]

TW WAND LP12 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: kozzmo and ssfas

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia

The WAND uses a fairly slim central "pole" for mounting and will fit any (original) REGA hole of similar.

It can be a bit fiddly to fettle - and get all of the critical parameters right - but I'm not sure why there are references here to this arm being a pain to install.

What have I missed?

View attachment 118599
A Wand cannot be fitted to an arm like this because the bolting system underneath is too short. A standard Garrard 301 plinth would not be a problem.
image.jpg

Reactions: kozzmo and SONDEKNZ

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
I'm curious, was reading some set-up notes on a Schroder arm and they have readings for channel separation etc. when adjusting azimuth and anti-skate. I there some sort of gadget that people use to take the readings?

I suppose I could just get something like a Rega Mini A2D which has a usb output and use Audacity.

Last edited:

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I'm curious, was reading some set-up notes on a Schroder arm and they have readings for channel separation etc. when adjusting azimuth and anti-skate. I there some sort of gadget that people use to take the readings?

I suppose I could just get something like a Rega Mini A2D which has a usb output and use Audacity.
You can use any of those together with a test record;
- Fozgometer
- ADC + oscilloscope software
- Two channel oscilloscope
- ADC + Analogmagik software
- Parks Audio puffin

Reactions: kozzmo and ssfas

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia

What have I missed?

View attachment 118599
I spent quite a while looking at the Wand a while back. I was looking at the Schroder set-up and it looks really fiddly. I've only heard good things about the Wand, it suits the SoundSmith I want to use and my other option would be a DL103, which apparently is the most popular cartridge for the Wand. Plus I'd rather buy from a chilled New Zealander than a German who's slightly up his rear end, the artistic temperament apparently. So I've spoken to the Wand dealer and will likely go ahead.

My DL103 is the Expert Stylus upgrade with ruby cantilever and paratrace stylus. Well worth investigating. Giant killer for £850 (20% VAT inclusive).

Reactions: defride

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing