H J s system !

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Just ordered some 6922 tubes and Ecc 83 s for the cat phono section , i have not been able to sell the Ultimate mk 2 (or "pre" legend whatever it is )and buy a real legend .
I am now gonna try to make the phonostage a bit quiter with"better " tubes , ive ordered 3 pieces of 6922 genelex gold lions and GL ecc83 and tungsol ecc 83 tubes , i might also buy a extra step up someday for mc s as well
See if it works , i quite like the pre and dont want to let it go on the cheap

You might think about some 60-70s Tesla ECC83s. They're better than the ones you've listed (I've just finished doing a comparison of different 12AT7 and 12AX7s in a phono stage am reviewing!). Much like the Tele sound. I find the GL ECC83s just big and bold and tubey and very closed-in sounding. The Tungsols would be my second choice. Don't ever try the JJ/Teslas.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
You might think about some 60-70s Tesla ECC83s. They're better than the ones you've listed (I've just finished doing a comparison of different 12AT7 and 12AX7s in a phono stage am reviewing!). Much like the Tele sound. I find the GL ECC83s just big and bold and tubey and very closed-in sounding. The Tungsols would be my second choice. Don't ever try the JJ/Teslas.

Thans for the advice gonna look into that, how is the noise floor of that tube ?,
I am primarily concerned of getting the noise floor down , and those i bought were low noise ,low microfonie candidates (i read on the website ), i also read somewhere the V 1 tube is the most important in the circuit as it is the first in the line from the turntable wire ,so there needs to be a good one , ive got to experiment on that too.

Ps the tungsols i ordered are the high gain version , see what that does to the sound

I am still figuring out which model i have, its not a ultimate and its not a legend , maybe somebody from CAT can shine some light on the matter , the serial no is 10307

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Tried the genelex and the tungsol , the genelex are very quit tubes and good sounding too , the tungsol ad some noise in the phono stage ,in my experience .

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I moved the system to the corner of the room , and added some dampening rugs , the sound is certainly better .
The speaker project is not going as fast as i would like , , as there is serious money involved and its not so easy for a small designer /manufacturer to get things done by big companies , most they are interested in is making large numbers of them :D
MDF/aluminium okay but resinbased designs is much more difficult as they are hard to manufacture and can only be done by specialized companies , its much harder on the tools than aluminium which would be my second choice

DSC_0018 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Are those speakers your own design HJ?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thanks, its a basic compact structure and the sloping top lowers the center of gravity .

The only speakers i ever bought were dynaudios and avalon avatars , how do they sound ???
Difficult to say , the best would be if they had no sound at all .
To me its a 2(and a half) way system to the maxx , having two stiff 8 inch woofers the system can move quit a bit of air so can sound pretty powerfull.
If i must describe the sound it would be like glass with the creamy mid /low end of the nomex kevlar units .
Essentially neutral ,when i bought loudspeakers i always found something that annoyed me or thought i could do better.
NO bass overhang very annoying , very spacious ,the sound is free of the speaker, very dead cabinet and very easy to drive ,8 300 B watts can certainly be powerfull /forcefull,flat FR with very slight downslope (intentional)

My reasonably priced speaker preferences are magico V3 ,avalon ascendant or eidolon / vision as its now called and watt puppies

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks, its a basic structure and the sloping top lowers the center of gravity .
The only speakers i ever bought were dynaaudios and avalon avatars , how do they sound ???
Difficult to say , the best would be if they had no sound at all .
To me its a 2(and a half) way system to the maxx , having to stiff 8 inch woofers the system can move quit a bit of air so can sound pretty powerfull.
If i must describe the sound it would be glass with the creamy mid /low end of the nomex kevlar units .
Essentially neutral ,when i bought loudspeakers i always found something that annoyed me .
NO bass overhang very annoying , very spacious ,the sound is free of the speaker

If I ever make it back home again (I really should) I'd love to hear them!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
after testing quite a few mids/tweeters (testing without a bass speaker ) , this is what ill use with my next project , no more accuton , not the most natural in my expirience and not the most revealing, i followed the mainstream quite a bit , but not anymore
Love the Boulder more and more :D

DSC_0021 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
after testing quite a few mids/tweeters (testing without a bass speaker ) , this is what ill use with my next project , no more accuton , not the most natural in my expirience and not the most revealing, i followed the mainstream quite a bit , but not anymore
Love the Boulder more and more :D

DSC_0021 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Interesting...similar cabinet shape to the FM Acoustics Speakers. Why did you choose this shape? Curious to learn. Thanks.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
First of all its rigidity ,i like to keep surfaces small if i can and well braced , the closed mid in the 3 way doesnt need a lot of volume to work best, panelwitdh has to be made small /surfaces also ( is not an absolute with other materials )
- diffraction , having a large wide baffle most speakers have a tendency to become less spatial and become boxy sounding
-low point of gravity /stable to place
And its design dependant , all my designs are X perimental this one as well , with the new units this is an exxelent speaker , the bass is 11 inch ETON .
This is also supposed to be a speaker with a relatively small footprint /elegant design , not a speaker that fills the living room, if therefore a bit of bassenergy is offered than so be it

I might have also an aluminium anodised frontpanel made for this one or HPL (high pressure laminate) " if that company would be more cooperative it would have been done already"

And also important , the way the air moves in this model is reflective it hardly has parallel walls, plus it has a internal structure which is an obstakel for fast moving air , it gets obstructed to a certain degree, there are not so much sound waves going back and forth in this loudspeaker

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
First of all its ridigity ,i like to keep surfaces small if i can and well braced , the closed mid in the 3 way doesnt need a lot of volume to work best, panelwitdh has to be made small /surfaces also ( is not an absolute with other materials )
- diffraction , having a large wide baffle most speakers have a tendency to become less spatial and become boxy sounding
-low point of gravity /stable to place
And its design dependant , all my designs are X perimental this one as well , with the new units this is an exxelent speaker , the bass is 11 inch ETON .
This is also supposed to be a speaker with a relatively small footprint /elegant design , not a speaker that fills the living room, if therefore a bit of bassenergy is offered than so be it

I might have also an aluminium anodised frontpanel made for this one or HPL (high pressure laminate) " if that company would be more cooperative i would have been done already"

And also important , the way the air moves in this model is reflective it hardly has parallel walls, plus it has a internal structure which is an obstakel for fast moving air , it gets obstructed to a certain degree

Cool. Thanks. What do you think of the MTM and DAppolito layouts?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well first of all MTM is a great way to get greater system efficiency , secondly the dispersion will change as compared to one mid unit and tweeter, the imaging of the system becomes different
This will be a logical thing for me to try in the next project , as that will be a high efficiency true full range project , 11 and 13 inch woofers , which are also a bit the maximum dimensions for me as going larger means also often having slower bass , i like fast deep bass.

Dappolito is merely a name for me , i dont follow his filter topologies regarding mtm config .

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well first of all MTM is a great way to get greater system efficiency , secondly the dispersion will change as compared to one mid unit and tweeter, the imaging of the system becomes different
This will be a logical thing for me to try in the next project , as that will be a high efficiency true full range project , 11 and 13 inch woofers , which are also a bit the maximum dimensions for me as going larger means also often having slower bass , i like fast deep bass.

Dappolito is merely a name for me , i dont follow his filter topologies regarding mtm config .

interesting read...thanks. Yes, that's right...very, very much looking forward to seeing more of your big MTM, 11" 13" speakers!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Me too , i hope to show some of the MTM cad printscreens the coming weeks , but i will not show the complete design that has to be a secret until its ready
It will have a industrial high tech look
Making a new design is adventurous , you always run into things you didnt expect soundwise, mostly for the better .
They will be made from 6082 t 6 aluminium , which is the improved succesor of 6061 T 6 aluminium , very good for machining very strong and very good anodisable .
Hpl has a density of 1400 kg/m3
6082 has 2700 kg /m3

Heavy ,inert ,strong and highly corrosion resistant !!!
After they have been anodized the layer will be stronger than hardened steel

Its used in :
High stress applications
Trusses
Bridges
Cranes
Transport applications
Ore skips
Beer barrels
Milk churns

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=2813

Last edited:

lapaix

Apr 27, 2012
Higgs cable s instability

I use quantum mechanic cables with higgs particle connectors .

No serious , i use the same as the internal wire for the bass/mid section , i use the small diameter for the tw section .
Its multiple strands of copper ,silverplated , teflon insulated

The only problem with Higgs connectors is that they seem to have a finite lifetime, maybe 100 billion years, but who knows? No self respecting audiophile would be happy with such short lived components. Short break in time, though.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Higgs particles ......you cant live without them :D

The pieces are coming together , the tapes have arrived

DSC_0029 by andromeda61, on Flickr

In a couple of weeks the tapemachines will arrive , some time later the new speakers , together with Zanden Boulder and CAT i think my 10 year audioquest will have come to an end .
Finding a way through all the " audiophile missinformation " has not made it easy , but there is also good advice .
I think after that, i will consider my audiophile ass retired , and i will pursue other interests, the loudspeaker / sound challenge is mostly over.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing