H J s system !

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I listened to the krells for the last time , and regret they are gone , fantastic amps , but as in every hobby , things change,...a new kid(rock) on the block.
One thing i can say about the boulder is that it has Iron fisted SS bass

_DSC0347 by andromeda61, on Flickr

_DSC0346 by andromeda61, on Flickr

That looks like a pin and sleeve connector...are you serious??

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
You probably mean its a relatively cheap balanced /cinch converter ??, the answer must be yes :D
Or do you mean the " audiophile " power cord connector ??

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I went today to hear magico Q 3 and S 5 , i wasnt that impressed by the Q3 , i wrote something in the magico forum .

I heard also devialet , that is pretty amazing stuff , its like the apple brand of high end audio , you can buy a premier that is a 2 times 240 watt amp , a combo of class d and a , i was told , it can be a pre as well as also phono and dac , all these futures one can determen on the devialet website and then load on a memory card ,this card can then be put in the amp so if you select phono /pre / dac , youre all set you don t need more than one piece of flat /stylish design.
Besides if you select phono amp, you can choose the amount of gain and load you want ,all microprocessor controlled
You can also play wire less from an ipod and down load a volumebutton app which will apear on the i phone , it sounded pretty good the phono also and it was very quit .

Good news, i saw the new zanden all in one box phonoamp today , quite a surprise it is not on their website , it will have a price of almost half the price of the 1200 mk 3 , overhere , i was told it was about equal to the 1200 mk3 just in one box
I asked the person about decca s and the load , and he said it could be custom made , so a 47 kohm load is possible

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
One more thing about Boulder , this is very good solid state , it sounds as it looks , withhout flaws and dead silent and very neutral probably more so than krell you get a feeling of total control by the amp , some music / movielines that were slightly obscured through the krells instantly become more obvious and easy to follow .
Krells has a different presentation , boulder is also a more userfriendly amp as it is much easier on the electric bill .
It is also a stunning amp to look at

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Good thing your electricity comes from the tides :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Is that so , i didnt know that (yet ), i do know we have windmills which drive generators , i think its mostly the hilly countries like swiss who have water driven turbines / generators
It still was about 60 euros a month i guess .

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Goodemorgen HJ!

I wanted to ask what kind of speaker cable you are using?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I use quantum mechanic cables with higgs particle connectors .

No serious , i use the same as the internal wire for the bass/mid section , i use the small diameter for the tw section .
Its multiple strands of copper ,silverplated , teflon insulated
Goodemorgen HJ!

I wanted to ask what kind of speaker cable you are using?

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
interesting...so are you thinking of keeping both the Zanden amp and the Boulder 1060?

Well i might actually , they are on the same level , dont want to miss listenening to Tiesto on the Boulder , what a drive/purity this amp has , better than krell , best solid state ive heard so far.
Only nasty thing now being the CAT phono stage which is to noisy , i try to sell it and buy a legend, or buy a zanden phonostage

Ps. or boulder phono a 2008 would be nice

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well i might actually , they are on the same level , dont want to miss listenening to Tiesto on the Boulder , what a drive/purity this amp has , better than krell , best solid state ive heard so far.
Only nasty thing now being the CAT phono stage which is to noisy , i try to sell it and buy a legend, or buy a zanden phonostage

Ps. or boulder phono a 2008 would be nice

I have heard Boulder before, and i admit i was immensely impressed. I can see where it might be a difficult match from time to time because it is so transparent, and something that is bright is going to come straight thru...however, in the system i heard it in, it was a tremendously capable, effortless amp...one of the few i could feel was effortless.

I would love to hear the Zandens. how do they compare? i saw above you felt Boulder was a beauty that grows on you, and Zanden is 'closer into reality'...can you provide any more details about they compare? Thanks!!! Enjoy two tremendous amps!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Its a difficult one , the zanden has a fuller /softer /gentler/more rounded presentation , easier on the ear .
Its less aggresive than boulder and probably more correct in reproducing unamplified/acoustic music which is never hard on the ear in real live( exept for percussion )
Boulder is nicer with electronic music for example .
They both are completely without listening fatique , and the sound is now on the highest level than ever before , they both pull you in in a big way , music all the way
Some have said boulder is aggresive in the highs but i think its mainly a FR speakerproblem

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Its a difficult one , the zanden has a fuller /softer /gentler/more rounded presentation , easier on the ear .
Its less aggresive than boulder and probably more correct in reproducing unamplified/acoustic music which is never hard on the ear in real live( exept for percussion )
Boulder is nicer with electronic music for example .
They both are completely without listening fatique , and the sound is now on the highest level than ever before , they both pull you in in a big way , music all the way
Some have said boulder is aggresive in the highs but i think its mainly a FR speakerproblem

thanks...your description of Zanden feels like their digital too. I know newer digital has superior noise floor, better detail/decay...but few if any provide with the same level of 'reality' when live acoustic recordings. i feel more often the live recording with digital than with many other more detailed digital sources.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
After listening to the Boulder / Cat combo now for a couple of months , and after that the Zanden integrated , i have a "winner " in my opinion.

The winner is the zanden 300 B with Sophia electric royal princess tube .
Its the amp that makes loudspeakers become invisible and high end an expirience .
Detail retrival is the best ive heard anywhere , and its fast fast and stunningly neutral , bass is full refined and and the sound simply fills the room more than the B/C combo .
My hifi future is simple i think , i ll just buy a zanden phono and forget all about hifi

I am gonna make a big full range model with higher efficiency in the future and call it a " hifi " day

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

DSC_0365 by andromeda61, on Flickr

I am pulled over , the objectevist subjectevist thread has convinced me , i am going 2 channel active:D

Now serious , the remark i did about the SE RP 300 B tubes was a bit too quick ,i was influenced by the net i think , ive been playing with the Full music 300 B s now for a couple of days , and the sound is fantastic as well ,control all over .
I ve reached audio nirvana :cool:

Tiesto from Holland

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Just ordered some 6922 tubes and Ecc 83 s for the cat phono section , i have not been able to sell the Ultimate mk 2 (or "pre" legend whatever it is )and buy a real legend .
I am now gonna try to make the phonostage a bit quiter with"better " tubes , ive ordered 3 pieces of 6922 genelex gold lions and GL ecc83 and tungsol ecc 83 tubes , i might also buy a extra step up someday for mc s as well
See if it works , i quite like the pre and dont want to let it go on the cheap

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
After listening to the Boulder / Cat combo now for a couple of months , and after that the Zanden integrated , i have a "winner " in my opinion.

The winner is the zanden 300 B with Sophia electric royal princess tube .
Its the amp that makes loudspeakers become invisible and high end an expirience .
Detail retrival is the best ive heard anywhere , and its fast fast and stunningly neutral , bass is full refined and and the sound simply fills the room more than the B/C combo .
My hifi future is simple i think , i ll just buy a zanden phono and forget all about hifi

I am gonna make a big full range model with higher efficiency in the future and call it a " hifi " day

fantastic news...i love Zanden. Glad to hear you are enjoying it as well...and enjoying it as in 'forget about hifi'...congrats!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing