Gryphon Mephisto (and Alexandrias)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The X1 grandslamm is also a very easy load , it hardly drops in the bass ,with a lowest point at 20 khz of 3.2

In the event, the Wilson presents a relatively easy load to an amplifier (fig.6). It's not quite classifiable as an "8 ohm" loudspeaker, which is defined as having a minimum magnitude of 6.4 ohms, though it comes close. For example, in music's main power band (120Hz-10kHz), the loading does not fall below 6 ohms, and averages 7.3 ohms. The magnitude does drop from 5 ohms at 15kHz to 3.2 ohms at 20kHz, which will give rise to some "dulling" of the treble balance both with SE-type amplifiers and with others featuring a higher-than-usual output impedance (1-3 ohms, say). Conversely, the X-1's commendably uniform mid-band impedance means that it will remain neutrally balanced with many tube power amplifiers.

Fig.6 Wilson X-1/Grand SLAMM, Stereophile

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes! In fact, i have that review on my shelf! 1994 by Martin Colloms! I have spoken with him about the X1 when i was first deciding. I had heard the Slamms 2 years before and swore it was the only speaker i would upgrade to from my SF Strads. A pair came along and i traded the Strads in.

While i was deciding, I happened to have the 1994 review, and then emailed Martin Colloms about them. He was extraordinarily helpful and, as always, candid. He said if the Strads are a Yamaha Grand, the X1s are a Bosendorfer Concert Grand and then some! He said he still was not convinced he had heard the outer limits of the speaker given today's electronics.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Sure a nice amp , lloyd i think in your case as in many others on that level , the improvements will be marginal from your current amps , despite magazine hypes.
You dont have a powerissue for example

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sure a nice amp , lloyd i think in your case as in many others on that level , the improvements will be marginal from your current amps , despite magazine hypes.
You dont have a powerissue for example

Hi Andromeda...thanks. Yes, i totally agree. I am sure the Mephisto is better...and i think i know specifically where. However, in my case, particularly with the Wilson X1s which are fairly benevolent and efficient load...i would not think of Mephisto. I am blessed to have what i have, and that is great for me.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Greetings gents, this is my first post on this forum.

I have spent a better part of today's evening reading varius threads. Lots of familiar faces ! I somehow missed this forum, but now recall Steve did send me an invitation to join some 2-3 years back. Oh well, seems I have no excuse.

lloydelee21 - I see that you are a great Gryphon fan. I have sth that may interest you - a golden Gryphon. I got it from Fleming when I was visiting Gryphon a while back. it is the size of a CD and quite heavy. It also comes with a black, Gryphon branded suede bag. I can give it to you as an early Christmas gift, as I have no use for it. Doesn't look too good placed on top of my Sashas ;)

PM me your address if interested.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great to see you are here Elberoth and look forward to reading more from you! Have pm'd. Many thanks for thinking of me.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Keep in mind Lloyd...there are many different amps that sound glorious with X-2's. They are just a clear window to the source. ;)

Totally agree, Rockitman. Despite the sometimes vitrioloic dialogue that goes back and forth about Magico, Wilson...i personally find that setting this level of speaker up differently has enormous affect on the sound. All equipment has its own characteristics...but with the level of equipment one would be rationally considering with speakers of this caliber...that sound can be changed sufficiently enough that either speaker can sound great. Great enough to justify one of us buying it?...a whole different story...that, for me at least, requires 'magic' not just 'great'. And i observe each of us finds magic our own way...sometimes very similarly, sometimes not.

In your case, Rockitman, i think i know what your sound is like (i think)...and bet it sounds pretty magical!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Elberoth,

Great to welcome you at WBF. I have been missing your opinions since the Audiogon "upgrade" .

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Elberoth,

Great to welcome you at WBF. I have been missing your opinions since the Audiogon "upgrade" .

Yeah, the 'upgrade' made me abandone my thread. Could you belive that I was not able to log in for a couple of weeks ?

Hi Joost,

See that you have a different moniker over here.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Today, I listened to the mighty Mephisto stereo amp driving the Trident speakers and I must say this combination is really glorious sounding. Transparency, separation, layering, control, sound staging are all top notch. Vocals are as real as they can get. I heard equally great sound from the Burmester 911s driving the Magico Q3. Short of a direct A/B comparison, it'll be difficult to tell which set-up is better. The Mephisto is warmer sounding and I suspect has better control of the music.
It is certainly on my very short list of a second amp purchase.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Today, I listened to the mighty Mephisto stereo amp driving the Trident speakers and I must say this combination is really glorious sounding. Transparency, separation, layering, control, sound staging are all top notch. Vocals are as real as they can get. I heard equally great sound from the Burmester 911s driving the Magico Q3. Short of a direct A/B comparison, it'll be difficult to tell which set-up is better. The Mephisto is warmer sounding and I suspect has better control of the music.
It is certainly on my very short list of a second amp purchase.

Great stuff!! Tell us more...what was the rest of the Gryphon system? did you manage to hear their latest flagship speaker---the 4 speaker setup--that replaces the Posiden?

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Great stuff!! Tell us more...what was the rest of the Gryphon system? did you manage to hear their latest flagship speaker---the 4 speaker setup--that replaces the Posiden?

CD player is CH and the preamp is the Mirage. No, their flagship speaker is not on demo.
Lloyd, if you are looking to change amp, look no further since you like the Gryphon sound (who doesn't?). If I had not bought the 911s, I'd buy the Mephisto in an instant. I may take up the offer from the dealer to do a home demo. That way, I'll know for sure which amp I prefer in my humble system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
CD player is CH and the preamp is the Mirage. No, their flagship speaker is not on demo.
Lloyd, if you are looking to change amp, look no further since you like the Gryphon sound (who doesn't?). If I had not bought the 911s, I'd buy the Mephisto in an instant. I may take up the offer from the dealer to do a home demo. That way, I'll know for sure which amp I prefer in my humble system.

i am perfectly happy with the Gryphon Colosseum! No aims to change...but if you do a home audition, please let us know!!!!!

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Today, I took my speakers to the showroom to try out the Mephisto/Extrema combination and I was stunned! First impression was that the Mephisto seemed to take the Extremas to a much higher level of performance. Whether it's due to the amp or the source, I'm not sure yet. Tomorrow, I'll do a home audition to find out and if I hear what I heard at the showroom, the Mephisto will stay for good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing