Wilson Audio XLF

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Loyd, Yes. I have had a JL E110 sub for around 12 months now - an amazing sounding little sub. It adds a nice bit of bass weight, extension, bloom and still a tight bass sound that adds to what the Maxx3's do. I do the same - use the 2nd set of outputs on the Dag pre and run the Maxx3's full range.

I am upgrading to 2 x JL F112v2's tomorrow, so looking forward to a few months of playing and optimising setup - all good fun..
Upgrading speakers is out at this stage - everything is so bloody expensive these days. Nobody in Australia are upgrading their XLF's or Alexx's as the replacement cost is just crazy expensive. Brands like Wilson don't seem to care about this thou.
Upgrading the subs seems like the best bang for $$ upgrade.

What is your Velodyne crossover frequency you are using at the moment - do you change the setting at all?

cheers

Shane
So the lowest cut off on the Velodyne is 40hz, but you can manually lower that by depressing the output at up to 8 manually selected frequency ranges by (I think?) 6db, possibly 12db. So we are probably bringing the sub in under the XLFs around 33hz-35hz or so.

As the sub set up has continued to be finetuned, no I dont change it at all. For movies, sometimes, we turn the volume up but otherwise, that's it. There are 8 pre-settings so you can create 8 different settings and automatically select one. So we use the Theater mode to be the same as our default setting...but with volume at a fixed level higher.

I think dual F112s should be amazing...look forward to hearing how it goes!!!!!

Reactions: XV-1

Aussienut

Jun 22, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Hi Shane and Loyd,

FWIW, I went for two Velodyne DD+12 subs for my XLFs, a few years back. This was after talking with the new European Velodyne owner who has also been the Wilson Audio distributor in Europe for many years. The two subs had the advantage that each sub could be positioned and setup to match its main speaker. Each subs response works very well to counteract room modes and blend with its main speaker. Further the DD+12 sub is able to react quicker to support the XLFs 13 and 15” woofers.

Shane, agree with your comments on those upgrading their larger Wilson Audio speakers in Australia. I initially purchased a traded Alexandria S1 from Joe at Audio Connection and then was lucky enough to sell the S1 and grab a 3 year old secondhand XLF pair which I’ve had since 2018. I’m currently upgrading my listening room with soundchek plasterboard and greenglue so keen to get it finished and get back into listening.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great to see you weighing in here! Yes, the new European Velodyne owners are very enthusiastic about having taken over a few years ago.

Reactions: Aussienut

Aussienut

Jun 22, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Great to see you weighing in here! Yes, the new European Velodyne owners are very enthusiastic about having taken over a few years ago.
Yes it has been awhile. Haven’t heard of any planned upgrades or replacement for the DD+ series but will likely happen eventually.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Shane and Loyd,

FWIW, I went for two Velodyne DD+12 subs for my XLFs, a few years back. This was after talking with the new European Velodyne owner who has also been the Wilson Audio distributor in Europe for many years. The two subs had the advantage that each sub could be positioned and setup to match its main speaker. Each subs response works very well to counteract room modes and blend with its main speaker. Further the DD+12 sub is able to react quicker to support the XLFs 13 and 15” woofers.

Shane, agree with your comments on those upgrading their larger Wilson Audio speakers in Australia. I initially purchased a traded Alexandria S1 from Joe at Audio Connection and then was lucky enough to sell the S1 and grab a 3 year old secondhand XLF pair which I’ve had since 2018. I’m currently upgrading my listening room with soundchek plasterboard and greenglue so keen to get it finished and get back into listening.

Lucky man, I am envious. I would luv a nice 2nd hand pair of XLF's or even a V1 Alexx. If you ever want to move the XLF'S when u upgrade, drop me a line. :p

I am getting the JL subs from the Audio Connection.

RIP Joe.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
In case anyone is interested in this one, it works remarkably well...took a little while to optimize the set up. Needed a few iterations. Greater separation of instruments and definitely greater clarity, less noise and more purity.

Wilson XLF - Damping.jpeg

Aussienut

Jun 22, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Lucky man, I am envious. I would luv a nice 2nd hand pair of XLF's or even a V1 Alexx. If you ever want to move the XLF'S when u upgrade, drop me a line. :p

I am getting the JL subs from the Audio Connection.

RIP Joe.
Australia is a small market so there wouldn’t be too many examples of MAXX’s, Alexandria’s and Alex’s around. The XLFs were a massive step for me so sorry not likely to change unless I win lotto. Plus now with the low USD to AUD exchange rate, USA gear is very expensive here.

The JL subs should work a treat. Let us know how you get on.

Room is down to the final steps of painting.

Attachments

• IMG_1615.jpeg
    IMG_1615.jpeg
    664 KB · Views: 14
  • Haha

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Australia is a small market so there wouldn’t be too many examples of MAXX’s, Alexandria’s and Alex’s around. The XLFs were a massive step for me so sorry not likely to change unless I win lotto. Plus now with the low USD to AUD exchange rate, USA gear is very expensive here.

The JL subs should work a treat. Let us know how you get on.

Room is down to the final steps of painting.
Will be interesting to learn how the new room sounds...presumably your soundchek plasterboard is a kind of room treatment?

Aussienut

Jun 22, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Soundchek is high density sound orientated plasterboard (drywall). Two 13mm layers with greenglue in between have been added over the existing 10mm standard plasterboard with all gaps filled with acoustic sealant. This will help stop the walls rattling. Plus all lights and switches and PowerPoints are now surface mounted. Standards down lights use to sing along at high volumes.

Aussienut

Jun 22, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Sorry had the wrong plasterboard name. It’s Soundstop by Knauf

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff! Will definitely keep that name in mind for the future. Thanks and look forward to reading all about it!

Reactions: Aussienut

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing