Gryphon Mephisto (and Alexandrias)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I was talking to a fellow who is a reviewer in the UK about a separate topic, when we got on to Gryphon. The feeling in his neck of the woods is very similar to what you're saying, but with particular regard to the Mirage and Sonata Allegro preamps. Anyways, to make a long story short, their sense (ie: his circle in the UK) was that the Pandora/Mephisto were reminiscent of the Sonata Allegro/Antilean in their sound.

We went on to speculate that the Mirage/Colosseum styling was not too well received in the often conservative Asian market (which is Gryphon's biggest market), thus the Pandora/Mephisto were released.

Thanks for that...good to know. That direction is probably a good one for the Mephisto. And l really like the Colosseum. I have also spoken with a well-regarded reviewer in the UK, and he did confide that Gryphon Antileon ranks up there as one of the all time greats in his experience over the years of reviewing. He also noted the latest ARC preamps, Lyra Connoisseur and a few other noteworthys over the years.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting thread especially with X-2 Alexandrias but IMO Gryphon just isn't that big of a presence in the USA as in Europe and Asia

Yes...i am not even sure there is a distributor in the US?? perhaps maybe there will be as discussions continue...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
A friend of mine spoke to Leo (the webmaster and "owner" of my-hiend) and got a brief interpretation - and yes the owner likes the Mephisto and he thinks it is "better" than the Colosseum.

How much better?

I've no idea, but now we're back on that slippery slope of trying to quantify our feelings and perceptions. :p

It will be interesting to see if he replaces his other Colosseum monos with Mephisto monos...i have a feeling he will. i would be EXTREMELY interested to know if he decides to audition the Pandora preamp. Pls keep us posted!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks for that...good to know. That direction is probably a good one for the Mephisto. And l really like the Colosseum. I have also spoken with a well-regarded reviewer in the UK, and he did confide that Gryphon Antileon ranks up there as one of the all time greats in his experience over the years of reviewing. He also noted the latest ARC preamps, Lyra Connoisseur and a few other noteworthys over the years.

with this in mind I still find it difficult to understand why Gryphon just isn't a presence in this country

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have not yet heard the Coloseum, but fully agree on your lines regarding the Anthileon sound (I had both the Anthileon and the DM100 amps from Gryphon), I might add that the Anthileon signature is closer to your description of the Coloseum sound, and as well eager to have the change to hear the Mephisto any time soon.

I have spoken with Gryphon about the Antileon evolution over the years...and their description of the Antileon Signature (vs Antileon 'Original') pretty much is consistent with your thinking, Flez.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
with this in mind I still find it difficult to understand why Gryphon just isn't a presence in this country

No US distributor...i also believe that Gryphon had a terrible experience with Stereophile back in the '90s. Yes, that was a LONG time ago, and the quality of their stuff (as our own Gary Koh, Jeff Fritz, Flez, Microstrip, Turntable and others can confirm) is stunning. I would love to see Gryphon open up in the US properly. My sense is in the US, they pitch up against the likes of Boulder 2060/3050, D'Agostino Momentums..from a Class A/super power standpoint...but i also wonder how well Gryphon would fare in the pure tonality playing field of Lamm. I know Jeff Fritz has made exactly these two comparisons...to Boulder 2060 and Lamm (not the current References). At the time, i think he elected to choose the Colosseum over the Boulder 2060 which had replaced the Vitus Ref and one of the Lamm ref monos.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Business and soundquality dont always go hand in hand in the audioindustry ,there is a lot of intangled interests, at least overhere.

Rockport uses the gryphon in the listeningrooms (seen from website)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
No US distributor...i also believe that Gryphon had a terrible experience with Stereophile back in the '90s. Yes, that was a LONG time ago, and the quality of their stuff (as our own Gary Koh, Jeff Fritz, Flez, Microstrip, Turntable and others can confirm) is stunning. I would love to see Gryphon open up in the US properly. My sense is in the US, they pitch up against the likes of Boulder 2060/3050, D'Agostino Momentums..from a Class A/super power standpoint...but i also wonder how well Gryphon would fare in the pure tonality playing field of Lamm. I know Jeff Fritz has made exactly these two comparisons...to Boulder 2060 and Lamm (not the current References). At the time, i think he elected to choose the Colosseum over the Boulder 2060 which had replaced the Vitus Ref and one of the Lamm ref monos.

I beleive that is part of the real story Lloyd, Gryphon had a terrible entrance to the US due to a mis-leading (my words) review of the DM100 in SS pages, actually I bought that same amp some months later and I just loved its sound (it replaced my Rowland 8 amp) - Gryphon ownership were quite offended and created an obstrusive bias in their attempts to return (my words again).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I beleive that is part of the real story Lloyd, Gryphon had a terrible entrance to the US due to a mis-leading (my words) review of the DM100 in SS pages, actually I bought that same amp some months later and I just loved its sound (it replaced my Rowland 8 amp) - Gryphon ownership were quite offended and created an obstrusive bias in their attempts to return (my words again).

Happy to suggest/urge to Flemming he reconsider, though with the Asian economy still spending big bucks on audio and the US market struggling in comparison...i suspect he will either: a) pass on the opportunity because of slow US sales, or b) see it as an opportunity to plant Gryphon in the US while distributors are a little slow, in preparation for the inevitable recovery.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

i have that review on my shelves...i have heard the DM100 though did not own it. I think the DM100 is an excellent product. I do think the review was damaging to Gryphon and, as per the ensuing letter from Flemming which suggested the reviewer had asked to keep the sample (and was turned down)...it is unclear exactly what happened...but clearly something went wrong either during the review/audition or with the politics...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
europe is struggling as well under this EU (corruption:b)monster :D
Kharma is also very big in asia as far as i know
Happy to suggest/urge to Flemming he reconsider, though with the Asian economy still spending big bucks on audio and the US market struggling in comparison...i suspect he will either: a) pass on the opportunity because of slow US sales, or b) see it as an opportunity to plant Gryphon in the US while distributors are a little slow, in preparation for the inevitable recovery.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
i have that review on my shelves...i have heard the DM100 though did not own it. I think the DM100 is an excellent product. I do think the review was damaging to Gryphon and, as per the ensuing letter from Flemming which suggested the reviewer had asked to keep the sample (and was turned down)...it is unclear exactly what happened...but clearly something went wrong either during the review/audition or with the politics...

The DM100 was a revelation for me, but the Anthileon is several steps above - It worths mentioning that I also owned a pair of Metaxas Mono power amps and preamp, terrific gear as well but also trashed by SS or TAS (can't recall now) hence their bad reputation in the US for a decade.

Last edited:

Peter

Feb 15, 2012

Well, I'd suggest several reasons:
1) The N. American market is pretty close to being saturated with it's own excellent products. I'd even venture a guess and say that Vitus might be finding the same as Gryphon for N. America.:confused:
2) Isn't it fairly well known that some years back when Gryphon was making one of it's first sorties into N. America, Stereophile panned one of their amps? Apparently it p****ed off Flemming Rasmussen royally - even to this day.:mad:
3) I've also heard that some years back Gryphon had signed up with some guy to be their N. American distributor and had fronted him a pile of gear (ie: he hadn't paid for it) and the SOB disappeared...

High-end audio intrigue:cool:

Peter

Feb 15, 2012
Hi Guys,

For those who may be interested in Gryphon's new Mephistos, Big Pond on Audiogon has posted his latest updates on his system. CEC tLOX to Audio Note DAC 5 Signature to ARC Anniversary Pre...now to the new Gryphon Mephisto monoblocks...to Alexandrias. Pure SS Class A, 1,000,000microfarads of capacitance (500,000 each mono)...175watts doubling all the way down through 0.25 ohms and doubling again for peak. Crazy build quality! I think he owned the ARC Ref 610s before.

As some of you know, i am an enormous fan of Gryphon (and Wilson) and this is the first person i know who has heard the Mephisto, let alone owns it (monos no less).

i have asked Big Pond about them. Has anyone else heard them?

Here you go lloydelee, some of the pictures here should sate your hunger(if only temporarily) for the Mephisto amps. Enjoy.:)

http://translate.googleusercontent....p?5654&usg=ALkJrhizcPBaYctldxhNBTv-v9ZPTOm8WA

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
From Audiogon...more cool pics...Alexandrias and the new Mephisto monos!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks! interesting bit from your link:

"...in response to a groundswell of demand, Gryphon now introduces the Mephisto Solo single-channel power amplifier. Based on 80 high-current bipolar output transistors and a 1,000,000 microFarad capacitor bank, Mephisto Solo delivers 200 Watts (8 Ohm), 400 W (4 Ohm) and 800 W (2 Ohm), RMS continuous Pure Class A power. Peak output into 0.25 ohms: 9000 watts.

While monoblock construction is not uncommon, most manufacturers simply create a bridged version of an existing stereo product, coupling two channels in series to form a single amplifier with increased voltage and, nominally, more output power. Unfortunately, the inevitable side effects of this approach include doubling distortion, doubling input impedance (impairing the ability to drive low-impedance loads) and cutting damping factor in half (reducing control of cone motion at low frequencies).

The Gryphon Mephisto Solo topology offers almost the same output in watts but with double the output current, half the distortion and double the damping factor. Mephisto Solo is built for massive peak current swings into very low impedances without losing its cool."

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes that is very cool and will never hurt:D , but my crossover impedance doesnt dip below 10 ohms.
There are 2 ways to tackle a problem

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing