RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
If we're talking an R&B Top 3, then I change my list

1. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
2. Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
3. Anita Baker - Rapture

Although a compilation album, I love Stevie's - Musiquarium release.

I answered a emphatic yes to WGO because I was in high school when the album came out and it had such a impact, I heard WGO played on the radio all the time. The music is trenscendental and universal in it's message.

I agree with Stevie Wonder Songs In the Key of life at #2

Diana Ross by herself and with the Supremes warrant #3 alone.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
John, very nice. Thanks for adding a video element to this discussion about some of the greatest R & B albums (heck, for that matter, greatest albums period) of all time.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, very nice. Thanks for adding a video element to this discussion about some of the greatest R & B albums (heck, for that matter, greatest albums period) of all time.

I wanted to bring out the strength of Marvin's WGO, and in particular that song (Mercy, Mercy Me), and I thought that Spirit's Nature's Way was a good way of driving that.

And while you may not be as appreciative of Anita Baker as I and Franz, I have no doubt that Earth, Wind & Fire and Sly Stone hold a place dearer to your heart.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
John, please don't misunderstand me. I love Anita Baker's music. Like I previously posted, I have all her albums. She is in a category of what I would call sophisticated R & B, bordering on jazz. And for sure I love EWF - last saw them in concert back in about '78 at the Forum in Inglewood where the Lakers used to play, and I am going to see them tomorrow evening. And Sly! What a band! There is no wrong or right answer when it comes to which band/album is the greatest, but it sure is fun to talk about it like there is!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, please don't misunderstand me. I love Anita Baker's music. Like I previously posted, I have all her albums. She is in a category of what I would call sophisticated R & B, bordering on jazz. And for sure I love EWF - last saw them in concert back in about '78 at the Forum in Inglewood where the Lakers used to play, and I am going to see them tomorrow evening. And Sly! What a band! There is no wrong or right answer when it comes to which band/album is the greatest, but it sure is fun to talk about it like there is!

You are right on point there Ron...mucho fun indeed! Coincidentally I also saw EW&F and Sly at the Forum, but the one in Montreal. It's gone now, like most of the older stadiums. I've many happy memories from concerts and hockey games there, much like the old Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.

ejusted

Feb 9, 2011
New Jersey

I have to agree EWF is definitely in the GOAT category. It just depends what type of R&B you like. There is so much variation out there.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
You are right on point there Ron...mucho fun indeed! Coincidentally I also saw EW&F and Sly at the Forum, but the one in Montreal. It's gone now, like most of the older stadiums. I've many happy memories from concerts and hockey games there, much like the old Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.
Man, if walls could talk, just think of all the great stories we could hear from those at the Maple Leaf Gardens.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have to agree EWF is definitely in the GOAT category. It just depends what type of R&B you like. There is so much variation out there.

Good to see you here my man! And you're right, so much variation it almost boggles the mind.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Does Adele qualify as R&B? I just love this young lady's voice and writing...such emotion. Her first album (Adele 19) made a slight impact on the world scene, and I for one was taken immediately, but her lastest (Adele 21) seems to have taken the world by storm. What's your take on this young lady?

And if she isn't R&B ...what is she?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I was afraid you'd say POP, but I think I would have to concur. I hate having to admit to that, as her voice and writing is so strong. Regardless.....she is a breath of fresh air.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Very underrated......wish she'd come out of her shell and do more solo stuff.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've not heard everything (obviously) that she has done, but I would be inclined to put her into a "blues/mainstream" category. She has a very strong voice that is well-suited for blues, but I hear elements of wanting to stretch from that. IMO she'd love the limelight of some commercial hits, but she won't get it.....her love is blues, and she'll have to suffer for it (commercially). I don't know if that makes sense......

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Neo-Soul gets my vote for Adele, Joss and Duffy's genre.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing