Greatest R & B Album Of All Time

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I was boppin' and groovin' to Mercy Mercy Me (actually, the whole album pictured below) last night and got to wondering, has there been a better R & B song written in the last 40 years? Then I got to wondering, is this the greatest R & B album of all time?

What do you think?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Yes

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm by no stretch an R&B aficionado but What's Going On has got to be one of the albums that will pop up when that question is asked along with Let's Get it On.

I've always liked early Stevie Wonder, Innervision and Songs in the Key of Life are by far my favorites.

Earth Wind and Fire's That's the Way of the World holds a special place for me and remains one of my favorites to this day.

A lot of this has got to do with my growing up with my brothers playing these songs a lot. Happy childhood, great memories. These albums bring that back for me.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Funny! I was on a MArvin Gaye mood and was about to post that on the "What's spinning tonight" sticky thread ... Great album , I think however that Stevie Wonder's "Songs in the Key Of Life" is that: The greatest RnB Album of All Time and would add one of the greatest album of All Time regardless of genre ... A Masterpiece, A Classic...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi

Funny! I was on a MArvin Gaye mood and was about to post that on the "What's spinning tonight" sticky thread ... Great album , I think however that Stevie Wonder's "Songs in the Key Of Life" is that: The greatest RnB Album of All Time and would add one of the greatest album of All Time regardless of genre ... A Masterpiece, A Classic...

:)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I know it's cheating a bit to use a greatest hits album, but this one has to be in the conversation:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yes! It's in my Top 3 (TB,DSOTM,WGO)

ejusted

Feb 9, 2011
New Jersey
Anita Baker - Rapture

I consider myself a R&B junkie and IMO you cant go wrong with this one.

definite classic

I have more if you like... ;)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I consider myself a R&B junkie and IMO you cant go wrong with this one.

definite classic

I have more if you like... ;)

+1. One of my faves for sure.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
+2 on Anita!

Also gotta love Prince "Sign 'O The Times"

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
People!

What an album that was!!! I think that eventually curtailed her career ...The same could be said about this album ..

Regardless, Songs in the Key of Life remains at the top followed closely by WGO ... IMO

Last edited:

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Frantz, funny you should write that. I have Songs In The Key Of Life second. Now which one comes in 3rd?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Frantz, funny you should write that. I have Songs In The Key Of Life second. Now which one comes in 3rd?

If we're talking an R&B Top 3, then I change my list

1. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
2. Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
3. Anita Baker - Rapture

Although a compilation album, I love Stevie's - Musiquarium release.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
If we're talking an R&B Top 3, then I change my list

1. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
2. Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
3. Anita Baker - Rapture

Although a compilation album, I love Stevie's - Musiquarium release.

I like the list but not the order :)

1. Songs in the Key of Life
2. WGO
3. Rapture

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I like the list but not the order :)

1. Songs in the Key of Life
2. WGO
3. Rapture

Either way it's listed.....all 3 are sublime and I have no issue with your order. WGO and SITKOL were cutting-edge in terms of lyrical content, and the music, well......it doesn't get much better. Anita to me is more about emotion, representation and possibly the best delivery of songs I've heard. She touches my soul when I listen to her.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I love Anita Baker and have all of her albums. Having stated this, I don't think she even cracks the top 10. While existing at the intersection of pop and R & B, doesn't Thriller have to be in the top 5? What about this one:

And this one:

And, finally, this one:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I love Superfly as music. Simple Great Music. The glorification of the drug dealer/ pusher makes me uncomfortable .. Great music though ... top ten ?

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I like LGIO more than WGO.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Like Ron commented, has there been a better R&B song written. This was 30 years ahead of its time, along with one other.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing