Frugal Power

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Then I would say you did very well at the Lycee. I wouldn't ever embarrass myself by openly writing in French.

I have had plenty of 'embarrassingly bad' conversations with taxi drivers in Paris...;) i am used to it.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have had plenty of 'embarrassingly bad' conversations with taxi drivers in Paris...;) i am used to it.

Yeah, but they're Parisien....can't be pleased EVER! :p

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Back on the thread Topic.

Why is it that they don't recommend amplifiers to be connected to a power centre?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Back on the thread Topic.

Why is it that they don't recommend amplifiers to be connected to a power centre?

Hi John...in my case, i literally melted mine. I think the amp draw was too great and the power conditioner ended up choking and melting. This was my monster Gryphon Antileon...now my Colosseum goes straight into wall. Earlier, i had CJ mid-powered 60 watt amp...sounded better going thru the power center.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi John...in my case, i literally melted mine. I think the amp draw was too great and the power conditioner ended up choking and melting. This was my monster Gryphon Antileon...now my Colosseum goes straight into wall. Earlier, i had CJ mid-powered 60 watt amp...sounded better going thru the power center.

I just picked up a McIntosh MC122 power amp (80wpc - the baby "Mac"). I have a Monster HDP2400 power centre. What would you recommend in terms of connection?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I just picked up a McIntosh MC122 power amp (80wpc - the baby "Mac"). I have a Monster HDP2400 power centre. What would you recommend in terms of connection?

i am no techie. I would ask Monster about the amount of current you can draw (including peak)...with an 80-watt McIntosh, i could imagine it might pull a lot of current during peaks.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
i am no techie. I would ask Monster about the amount of current you can draw (including peak)...with an 80-watt McIntosh, i could imagine it might pull a lot of current during peaks.

Thanks Lloyd! I think I'll fire off an email to them. Can't hurt!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd! I think I'll fire off an email to them. Can't hurt!

be curious to know what they say! And if they say ok, then very curious to know what you think of with or without.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

---- Jeeeez John, I got some excellent articles from Widescreen Review (the mag for which Amir writes articles sometimes), and Richard Hardesty, with few other guys, tested a tons of those things, and all the models from Monster power centres, and they faired quite poorly, except for their most expensive ones, which were decent enough but still behind the competition. In fact they were last.

These guys are experts, they open those power things (purifiers or regenerators) and they analyse their parts one by one, from the material used to how many of them, without forgetting what it does to the audio signals and the current needed from power amps.

That series (there are few mags testing several of them) is in my cavern (sous-basement), and I don't mind to do a search for you if you can't find reliable info or from Mc or from Monster.

Yours is the Stage 2 right?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
---- Jeeeez John, I got some excellent articles from Widescreen Review (the mag for which Amir writes articles sometimes), and Richard Hardesty, with few other guys, tested a tons of those things, and all the models from Monster power centres, and they faired quite poorly, except for their most expensive ones, which were decent enough but still behind the competition. In fact they were last.

These guys are experts, they open those power things (purifiers or regenerators) and they analyse their parts one by one, from the material used to how many of them, without forgetting what it does to the audio signals and the current needed from power amps.

That series (there are few mags testing several of them) is in my cavern (sous-basement), and I don't mind to do a search for you if you can't find reliable info or from Mc or from Monster.

Yours is the Stage 2 right?

Thanks Bob! But if they indeed fared poorly it may not even be a discussion. Unfortunately it's all I have. Think I'll continue not using it for amps.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- Wow you're still here, and quite early too this morning.

It depends John, I'm sure you don't listen to music real loud at your place, and I bet you'd be just fine using it.

Congrats on your new Mc amp! :b

...And because your amp is stereo, and 80 Watts RMS per channel (rating), you should be good to go no problemo. It's more like for big multichannel amps that those things aren't good for, unless you have one that cost several thousands of dollars and weights 100 pounds or more, and has dedicated AC line(s) without any loss of current.

Hey, I can even ask Ivan's opinion on that over at AA.
Monster? No, I wouldn't trust them. ...They just claimed too many things that aren't true.

Anyhoo, I got your numbers: McIntosh MC122 stereo power amp, and Monster HDP2400 Power Centre Stage 2. I will check both sources, and even more, and will let you know, gratis (free of charge). ...Unless someone else here is very fast and knows for sure.

With me, no bias, no beliefs, no religions, just the best facts that I can find, the truth and nothing but the truth. :b ...Just my sense of humor John, it motivates me more in doing what I love to do.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
-- Wow you're still there, and quite early too this morning.

It depends John, I'm sure you don't listen to music real loud at your place, and I bet you'd be just fine using it.

Congrats on your new Mc amp! :b

...And because your amp is stereo, and 80 Watts RMS per channel (rating), you should be good to go no problemo. It's more like for big multichannel amps that those things aren't good, unless you have one that cost several thousands of dollars and weights 100 pounds or more.

Hey, I can even ask Ivan's opinion on that over at AA.
Monster? No, I wouldn't trust them.

Went to bed quite early last night and at 2:30am I was wide awake. I feel a nap coming on later though!;)

I do have to say something positive though, without dismissing Monster entirely and maybe not exactly related to the topic matter, but here it is. A few years ago I went to adjust the volume control on my Pioneer and got a charge. Within a millisecond the Monster shut everything down. I was worried and thought something has gone wrong here, but no. I turned everything back on and the system continued where she left off. I give credit to the Monster HDP2400 for doing it's job.

I don't know who Ivan is as I don't visit AA any longer, but sure...I always welcome someone else's opinion.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- That's why I said you're good to go in your situation.

Ivan is Masterlu, the guy that you mentioned before with having the biggest signature you ever saw. He's the site creator, owner, and master of his domain. :b ...He's the McIntosh man.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
-- That's why I said you're good to go in your situation.

Ivan is Masterlu, the guy that you mentioned before with having the biggest signature you ever saw. He's the site creator, owner, and master of his domain. :b ...He's the McIntosh man.

Oh ok! That guy! Got a bit confused . I thought you actually meant Audioholics. Never even posted (I don't think) on AA.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- Yeah, AA, AudioAficionado.

AH is AudioHolics. ...Not fond at all of the forums, the website, ok. >>> but not in love with, bias reviewers. It's a business, a sale pitch for their manufacturers.
They do have some excellent articles though, very detailed, not perfect, but going into places where others don't even dare to venture. They provided me with some useful info a long time ago. I do read some of their reviews once in a while, but it's not anymore like it used to be; times have changed, and with it our philosophies of life, our principles, our technologies, our level of knowledge and intelligence, and just the entire world with it.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
. . . . What seems strange is the hospital grade receptacles seem to be installed upside-down. The earth pin is on top, whereas the earth pin is usually on the bottom. Having installed them both ways, it seems to sound better to me when the earth pin is up. . . . .

Hi Gary, from you initial post in this thread:

The reason hospital outlets are mounted with the earth/ground prong on top is, as I was told about 25 years ago, a safety factor. In the unlikely event that a piece of metallic hardware were to fall off the wall and wedge itself between the the plug and outlet receptacle with the - and + prongs on top it could cause a short circuit, but if the earth/ground is on top, there would be no danger of a short circuit or breaker blowing.

REALLY??? it sounds better with the earth/ground prong on top???????? Bass is more "powerful and faster", midrange has more "bloom", treble has more "air"????????? :p :p :p :p

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
-- Quite interesting Gary.

As for the better sound that someone experienced, well, placebo effect perhaps?

There's no placebo effect. Everything we hear is completely, totally, absolutely REAL.

Neither expectations nor repeated listenings can play tricks on our minds.

We're humans. We're way too advanced for that!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing