For Duke - Bill Berry and His Ellington All-Stars

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hello,

Do you happen to know someone from whom I can purchase a sealed LP of For Duke - Bill Berry and His Ellington All-Stars on M&K Realtime direct-to-disc?

Thank you.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Christian, thank you very much. I saw that NM but I really want to find a sealed copy. Thank you.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Dear Christian, thank you very much. I saw that NM but I really want to find a sealed copy. Thank you.

I waited for ages to get a sealed copy...didn't happen and it really doesn't matter. True near mint sounds just as good and just as quiet...the only difference, the nm copy was played a couple times. Most copies you see on eBay are not NM...rather EX or worse.

I wonder if Steve has his copy yet ? Steve, if you are reading this, I would jump on this copy.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'd much rather buy a "known" NM used copy than a sealed "hope for the best" copy.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Update: I never was able to find a sealed copy. I ordered a bunch of allegedly "near mint" copies.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, since this LP is long long out of print, I am curious how you ordered a bunch??:confused:

I ordered some used copies off of eBay and some other used copies from various vinyl dealers I found on the internet.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Update: I never was able to find a sealed copy. I ordered a bunch of allegedly "near mint" copies.

Good for you and as I said earlier, I'd buy a used NM copy over a sealed one any day. A sealed copy is IMO more of a crapshoot than a known used NM one.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I ordered some used copies off of eBay and some other used copies from various vinyl dealers I found on the internet.

Unless the copies you receive have been trashed, I suspect you will treasure these LP's. The SQ is still among the best available on the D to D format. BTW, you might also look out for RT105...Earl 'Fatha' Hines, 'Fatha'. A superb piano recording and only slightly less in the SQ department to 'For Duke'. Although, a little easier and less costly to acquire.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
When I heard For Duke at a speaker audition I was quite startled at how amazing it sounded. The owner of the system said he could not find a sealed copy. I like a couple of the Sheffield Lab direct-to-discs. I had never before heard of M&K RealTime.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ron, I have several copies of "For Duke", including a few that I bought new back in the day. When the LP was available from dealers, it was highly thought after and recommended. Like you, when I first heard it, it really knocked my socks off!.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Update: I never was able to find a sealed copy. . . .

I have to let y'all know this: I looked for a sealed copy high and low for weeks -- on-line vinyl dealers, eBay, Discogs, etc. -- all over the planet. I was never able to find a sealed copy.

But my smart wife somehow got me a sealed copy for Christmas!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Now that is a very special wife! Hang on to that one. :D (as if you wouldn't) Congrat's Ron and enjoy! I love hearing things like this. Kudos to your other half!!!

Tom

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ron, that's pretty cool. Now your wife has to buy you a sealed copy of Flamenco Fever...
no just kidding!:D

BTW, how many members actually own M&K's Flamenco Fever LP? I'm still looking for a copy, but I'm not willing to break the bank for it. I know a few of us are seeking this one..;)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I just bought a NM copy of For Duke but like you a sealed copy of Flamenco Fever is north of $600

One of my dealer friends sold a sealed copy of Flamenco on ebay to a guy in the far east...for close to $700- The buyer gets the record, proceeds to open it and then proclaims he doesn't like the music or the condition??? and wants a refund. My friend grudgingly took the record back and promptly sold the opened LP for the same money to another collector!! Go figure??:confused:

audio-land

Member Sponsor
May 9, 2015
www.audio-land.net
I have three copies, one is still sealed. I like to have more copies as a spare or try different pressings. One with red sticker and other with yellow sticker. Dunno inside the sealed one.

Attachments

• IMG_20151115_125955.jpg
    IMG_20151115_125955.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 145

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, that's pretty cool. Now your wife has to buy you a sealed copy of Flamenco Fever...
no just kidding!:D

. . .

Thank you, Davey. After reading many enthusiastic posts about Flamenco Fever I listened to some of the album on Youtube. I have somewhat narrow musical taste. I preferred the music on For Duke.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing