BiggestLittleCity

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
Wilson has spent decades developing complex composites specifically for enclosure applications, most recently the W material developed for the WAMM. Why? These composites continue to push the envelope beyond anything else tested (including aluminum).

Aluminum is indeed used in the gantry of the WAMM (not the enclosures). The gantry is for precise adjustment, not "bracing support." Where it would affect enclosures, it is damped/decoupled with W material.

the "composites" are all wood. x, m, z, y, f, and whatever else wilson uses is all wood based. there can be no x or w without the wood my friend.

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
and I'm very happy with my 991 CS2. it's finish quality is impeccable, the performance is beyond my fortitude, and my wife is comfortable in it.

i just test drove a 991. in the snow! it feels so much bigger (wider) compared to my 997 but it really is not. the pdk shifts a little faster then in mine as well. it has a very more hp but i couldn't really get into that as it is snowing in slc right now. the interior in the 991 much better. not sure if i want to go up though. i need to save for this stupid wilson audio thing.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
the "composites" are all wood. x, m, z, y, f, and whatever else wilson uses is all wood based. there can be no x or w without the wood my friend.

I don't think that is correct. The Wilson materials are more like Corian (yeah, the countertop stuff used as an alternative to natural stone). I don't believe wood is part of the mix. Corian is a mix of acrylic polymers and alumina trihydrate so those folks who are saying Wilson will be building with aluminum — maybe they already are?

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
I don't think that is correct. The Wilson materials are more like Corian (yeah, the countertop stuff used as an alternative to natural stone). I don't believe wood is part of the mix. Corian is a mix of acrylic polymers and alumina trihydrate so those folks who are saying Wilson will be building with aluminum — maybe they already are?

sorry ... M' material is a very high density cured phenolic-bonded wood fibre and X is a mineral-loaded acrylic formulation (of wood most likely):). you can put lipstick on a pig and its still a pig.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Getting back to the WAMM. I Googled images of the original. It looks rather pedestrian all things considered. Taking into account Dave Wilson's tendency to stay away from exotic drivers it's difficult to see how the price is pushed so high. I think he is predisposed to existing technology. For that kind of monew you would expect some technological breakthrough or at least some exotic materials. At least some of those buyers are seeking bragging rights.

Another good question is Magico for example going to take up the challenge
The Q7 v XLF battle. Both excellent but rather pedestrian designs. Of course Alon may think the Ultimate is enough.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Getting back to the WAMM. I Googled images of the original. It looks rather pedestrian all things considered. Taking into account Dave Wilson's tendency to stay away from exotic drivers it's difficult to see how the price is pushed so high. I think he is predisposed to existing technology. For that kind of monew you would expect some technological breakthrough or at least some exotic materials. At least some of those buyers are seeking bragging rights.

Another good question is Magico for example going to take up the challenge
The Q7 v XLF battle. Both excellent but rather pedestrian designs. Of course Alon may think the Ultimate is enough.

Exotic materials exotic design complicateddesign ,etc
iN the end its all about listening pleasure
if the initial purchase rush settles down and you want to Relax
Unless you see a ls as a statussymbol to me its what counts after 2 OR 3 months time
The time alignment system looks quit fancy complicated
on this design
And seems to Be a major designgoal so yes that makes IT special

Last edited:

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Ouch! Those hurt.

I feel your pain:

1967 split window Corvette $5000
1964 289 Cobra comp w/webers $3600
250GTE Ferrari $10,000
1967 275 GTB short nose $35,000

all offered and past on for various reasons:D

One must have his priorities....btw the Jag was one of my true car loves.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Yeah, the Wilsons will more likely give you years of trouble-free use!!

Surely we are not comparing Ferrari to a Wilson speaker. Let's get serious.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
you're right Greg. Let's get serious. We're comparing 2 Ferraris to a Wilson speaker ;)

Surely. Each Wilson has four wheels! But I can not see any gain in spiking a Ferrari ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Exotic materials exotic design complicateddesign ,etc
iN the end its all about listening pleasure
if the initial purchase rush settles down and you want to Relax
Unless you see a ls as a statussymbol to me its what counts after 2 OR 3 months time
The time alignment system looks quit fancy complicated
on this design
And seems to Be a major designgoal so yes that makes IT special

$650k special? And to be treated as though it's release is the "second coming"?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

This looks like an ambiguous claim that just spreads confusion, it does not to inform or enlighten.

The important aspect of these materials is that they are composites. From Wikipedia :

A composite material is a material made from two or more constituent materials with significantly different physical or chemical properties that, when combined, produce a material with characteristics different from the individual components. So unless you know what is exactly the composite and its physical properties there is little to add.

For example, S-material is a highly rigid, critically damped, epoxy-based composite. Are you also going to state that since it includes epoxy may be the material is vegetal based? ;)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
$650k special? And to be treated as though it's release is the "second coming"?

Well yes i agree its pricey , but it does attract attention doesnt it ;) .
Further I know of no brand that makes such a deal of adjusting the drivers in space , whether its better to your ears is another , but what wilson does is they do it throughly in this design

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing