First Listen: Magico Q7 Mk.II - An Unexpected New Direction for Magico

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I've had the MicroOnes in my home for two weeks- never once wrote down in my notes that they were bright. I'm pretty sensitive to it- never liked the W/P or Focal tweeters historically.

That said, have a friend that thinks my prior Dynaudio C1 Esotar tweets were bright (which I've never heard that comment before). Therefore, I think upper treble sensitivity is really personal.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I've had the MicroOnes in my home for two weeks- never once wrote down in my notes that they were bright. I'm pretty sensitive to it- never liked the W/P or Focal tweeters historically.

That said, have a friend that thinks my prior Dynaudio C1 Esotar tweets were bright (which I've never heard that comment before). Therefore, I think upper treble sensitivity is really personal.

Perhaps. However, in the instance I described, I was NOT the only one reacting to the sound....and in the same way.
When a speaker is overly bright( or is exhibiting that way with the ancillary gear) I think most people ( particularly the more knowledgable listeners) will know it and react accordingly.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
….If a good silk dome is harder sounding than a metal dome...all I can say is something is very amiss
Why? Please explain your assertion, and provide some empirical evidence to support it. Saying “others feel like me” or “I am not the only one who…” does not count.
…there is one thing that all of these tweeters do have in common...they are all metal domes
But so is the Vivid tweeter:rolleyes:
I'm pleased that you do NOT hear the Magico S5's tweeter ringing, BUT that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't so.
Perhaps you can explain to us all what do you mean when you say “ringing”. You obviously hear it when it does not exist (S5), and not when it does (Vivid). Perhaps we are not talking about the same thing :confused:

On the contrary, I was- and still am, impressed that such a shop should open at all!!

with your public "support", I am sure Alexzander will be very successful in his endeavor...:(

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Perhaps. However, in the instance I described, I was NOT the only one reacting to the sound....and in the same way.
When a speaker is overly bright( or is exhibiting that way with the ancillary gear) I think most people ( particularly the more knowledgable listeners) will know it and react accordingly.

yes.

but in most cases knowledgeable listeners will recognize speakers placed against a wall and very modest level associated gear, and explain as much when characterizing the sound of the system (hard to know exactly what is causing what)......unless they have agendas. why did you elect not to tell us about that?

you only mentioned the speaker and the tweeter sound.

and if you were not really paying attention to the details then why even make a negative comment?

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Mike, IF we are talking about agendas, then maybe you should be a little careful. Your unfailing defense of Jonathan Tinn's products is admirable and very interesting, LOL.
Remember the old saying about those in glass houses!!
The "negative" comment I stated was simply a matter of fact...no agenda involved. Believe it or not.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Why? Please explain your assertion, and provide some empirical evidence to support it. Saying “others feel like me” or “I am not the only one who…” does not count.

But so is the Vivid tweeter:rolleyes:

Perhaps you can explain to us all what do you mean when you say “ringing”. You obviously hear it when it does not exist (S5), and not when it does (Vivid). Perhaps we are not talking about the same thing :confused:

with your public "support", I am sure Alexzander will be very successful in his endeavor...:(
Cannata, you may LOVE your Magico S5's...good for you, BUT remember that others are entitled to an opinion.

What is " ringing"...I believe the dictionary states it as follows: adjective
...making a sonorous or resonant sound.

Which pretty much sums up what I hear. I absolutely hear it when it does exist, once again, IF you cannot hear it then perhaps you should consider yourself blessed...or not as the case may be.
Again, I ask you, IF DW felt that his new silk dome tweeter was actually inferior to his old metal dome, do you really believe that he would have updated his line with it??

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, IF we are talking about agendas, then maybe you should be a little careful. Your unfailing defense of Jonathan Tinn's products is admirable and very interesting, LOL.
Remember the old saying about those in glass houses!!
The "negative" comment I stated was simply a matter of fact...no agenda involved. Believe it or not.

--you brought up the MM Micro One's.
--you decided to ignore (or did not care enough to pay attention to) the context of the system in your post for whatever reason and get negative.
--you brought up what knowledgeable listeners should do.

I get that throwing stones at me distracts from your actions (and I expected nothing less), but please help me to understand why you posted what you did to begin with.

I do get that it's always easy to be negative, and just throw stuff out there.

the 'fact' was that a system was bright and edgy to your ears. you elected to assign it without qualification to speakers and deemed it important enough to bring up without context as an aside in a Magico thread. seems curious to me for sure.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi Davey!

Do you remember the LPs that were playing when you heard the MM Micro Ones? Just curious...

Thanks!
alexandre

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,
Why not just lay off DaveyF,he is entitled to his opinion and his comments.Evolution Acoustics and Magico are not gifts from God.they are just speaker manufacturers.People buy the speakers they like for whatever reason and get used to the sound and are happy,that why their are 50 different brands.
Robert

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi Davey!

Do you remember the LPs that were playing when you heard the MM Micro Ones? Just curious...

Thanks!
alexandre

Hi Alexandre,
No unfortunately I do NOT remember what music was playing.

BTW, let me make this clear once and for all....
I am VERY excited and pleased that you and your partners have opened Alma audio in my neck of the woods and wish you every success in this endeavor.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi,
Why not just lay off DaveyF,he is entitled to his opinion and his comments.Evolution Acoustics and Magico are not gifts from God.they are just speaker manufacturers.People buy the speakers they like for whatever reason and get used to the sound and are happy,that why their are 50 different brands.
Robert

Thank you, Robert.

I noticed that you disclose your industry affiliation at the bottom with your signature. ( admirably).

After the posts that Mike L always comes up with to defend any of Jonathan Tinn's gear, it sure makes one wonder IF he should be doing the same thing under his signature!
Like I said about him before, those in glass houses...:eek:

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Again, I ask you, IF DW felt that his new silk dome tweeter was actually inferior to his old metal dome, do you really believe that he would have updated his line with it??

We can only speculate. If DW really thought silk is better, he would have made the change long time ago. The new tweeters performance are nothing new or revelatory. I have heard silk domes that sound like that, or better many years ago. So why did he change now, and not say 10 years ago, is not clear to me. Someone here, with some affiliation to the industry suggested that he simply ran out of these Focals. Could be, I don’t know. I do know that Focal no longer make these. Regardless, to my ears it was only a side move.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
We can only speculate. If DW really thought silk is better, he would have made the change long time ago. The new tweeters performance are nothing new or revelatory. I have heard silk domes that sound like that, or better many years ago. So why did he change now, and not say 10 years ago, is not clear to me. Someone here, with some affiliation to the industry suggested that he simply ran out of these Focals. Could be, I don’t know. I do know that Focal no longer make these. Regardless, to my ears it was only a side move.

Or perhaps, just perhaps....he felt that the new silk dome is superior to the old metal dome.:D

To my ears, the new silk domes are FAR FAR superior to the old Focal dome. I guess YMMV.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Or perhaps, just perhaps....he felt that the new silk dome is superior to the old metal dome.:D

Perhaps. But you thought all along that silk is better them metal, right? So why do you think that only now, after so many years of “good silk”, DW decided to change? Did he not hear what you are hearing all these years? Anyway, it is your right to hear or like what you like, I just think that the way you go about “proving” your arguments is unclear.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi Alexandre,
No unfortunately I do NOT remember what music was playing.

BTW, let me make this clear once and for all....
I am VERY excited and pleased that you and your partners have opened Alma audio in my neck of the woods and wish you every success in this endeavor.

Davey,

I got that part :) Thanks!

I'm just curious, if it was a recording I knew...

alexandre

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Perhaps. But you thought all along that silk is better them metal, right? So why do you think that only now, after so many years of “good silk”, DW decided to change? Did he not hear what you are hearing all these years? Anyway, it is your right to hear or like what you like, I just think that the way you go about “proving” your arguments is unclear.
I have said for years that I did not like the Wilson Focal dome, that is very true. As to why DW decided to recently change, that is a good question. Perhaps, he finally had a change in heart/ hearing to finally listen anew to the possible options out there. ( BTW, I'm sure as I stated before, that I am NOT the only one who was unhappy with the old Focal dome...maybe DW was convinced by these people??)
Nonetheless, I do hear a MAJOR improvement with his new speakers.
BTW, i do NOT feel that all metal domes are inferior to silk domes....by definition. An example of this is the very good unit used in the aforementioned Vivid Giya G1. I can only speculate here, BUT perhaps the implementation of how the dome is utilized might have something to do with its superior SQ.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Aimed at Nobody in particular by the way :

Blah blah blah , i personally think that a speakerfabricator who would want to stay in the" audiophile Marketplace" has to keep up up with demand and yes if that means" flat to 40 kHz" , because " they" hear a diff. give them what they want

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
An example of this is the very good unit used in the aforementioned Vivid Giya G1...

But that tweeter does ring, and that is simply a fact. Another fact you may wish to consider is that silk domes THD performance is extremely poor, and that is across the board. To those who can actually hear what is real, not fiction, they do sound hard/harsh when driven hard (or as you will say, others hear it as well). That correlates with their empirical performance. Now that is not to say that there are no nasty metal domes out there as well. However, done properly, you will get much closer to perfection using a piston (I.e. very stiff, and well damp) to produce high frqs. Soft domes will never achieve that. That is why, companies with real R&D behind them, when cost is not a consideration, do not use silk domes for tweeters.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Cost ????, how much does a pair of berylium domes cost from scan speak , about 400 500 euros maybe , about a days work .:D( before taxes okay )

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing