Esoteric Grandioso T1 turntable arrives; G1X Master Clock coming.

I remember how impressed I was with Sirius tt. I thought that was a lifetime product. I think the Esoteric has sufficient innovation to warrant the price.
Do they offer a dedicated stand? How about a soundproof discover?

I remember how impressed I was with Sirius tt. I thought that was a lifetime product.
for sure, except that the power supply for the Sirius 3 is very sophisticated and the designer passed away some years ago. so that is a potential weak spot.
I think the Esoteric has sufficient innovation to warrant the price.
Do they offer a dedicated stand? How about a soundproof discover?
no dedicated stand, but an effective passive suspension system. no OEM dust cover, but it's size would allow for one to be easily acquired.

Congratulations Mike. Soak in that last day on Monday for everything it represents.
thanks Peter. appreciate the comment.
You had once talked about buying a boat and exploring those gorgeous waters and islands north of Seattle up to Canada and Alaska. If you do, stop by Orcas Island. It is a magical place. If boat and the freedom and exploration it allows is still a dream, I hope you realize it.
a boat is a possibility once i step back and take a breath. and see what my wife thinks.

i've been going to Orcas since i was a teenager. and my wife and i love to spend time there too. but we take the ferry. although in the 80's we did sail there in our 38' Erickson. back when i had more time off. ;)

Reactions: PeterA
hear yachts are tax deductible. :)Or maybe Betsy Devoss will pay you to take hers out for a regular spin. If she gets another job she will be pressed for time.
thanks Peter. appreciate the comment.

a boat is a possibility once i step back and take a breath. and see what my wife thinks.

i've been going to Orcas since i was a teenager. and my wife and i love to spend time there too. but we take the ferry. although in the 80's we did sail there in our 38' Erickson. back when i had more time off. ;)
Maybe I could make you a dust cover.:)

i will retire from my job on Monday,
That is amazing, Mike! Infinite congratulations to you!

Now, finally, you'll have the time to put a serious audio system together!:D

(...) and on a side note, i will retire from my job on Monday, it's my last day working. 49 years in auto retailing. over. my plan for retirement is......no plan. a lot of it. :cool:

Congratulations on retiring Mike, but be careful - I retired a couple of months ago and plans made it an extremely busy period!

i do appreciate your well intentioned positive expectations for me.

i've had 5 tt's at once, and it did not improve my experience. went from there to one tt for a decade. more likely will end up with one or two turntables than go to 4 from 3. retiring does not stop my system evolution necessarily. plenty of system assets to re-task according to my leanings. and the piggy bank is not empty, but now i have time to look for other pursuits too. hifi always perfectly fit into my time away from work, but now i'm not limited that way. which is the whole idea. something more/different.

OTOH i do like the idea of '50 years'.......which will be in January when i have my 50th wedding anniversary.

in respect to 49 years in auto retail, likely my 43 years at the same dealership is more the accomplishment. i'm a unicorn in that way.
Congrats on moving into a new phase Mike. I’m sure the timing is right… 49 years could be exactly the time and 50 years could just be one year too many. I’d trust the little voice inside that says when it’s time to shift. Enjoy the transition into wherever it takes you. Good health and having purpose and time with the people you love is the go.

Reactions: Pokey77
i'm told my Esoteric T1 arm boards for the Tosca/Dava and FCL/Etsuro Gold are now 'in country' and so might arrive this next week.

and on a side note, i will retire from my job on Monday, it's my last day working. 49 years in auto retailing. over. my plan for retirement is......no plan. a lot of it. :cool:
I don't usually like Monday's, but..........!
So pleased for you Mike. Enjoy the 'No Plan' and the adventure to find other hobbies etc. that also bring happiness and contentment.

i'm told my Esoteric T1 arm boards for the Tosca/Dava and FCL/Etsuro Gold are now 'in country' and so might arrive this next week.

and on a side note, i will retire from my job on Monday, it's my last day working. 49 years in auto retailing. over. my plan for retirement is......no plan. a lot of it. :cool:
Congratulations! 49 years in the auto retail WOW. That's an astounding amount quality transactions! I dig the plan.

Congrats Mike. Popular hobbies here are watch collecting, sport (target) shooting, hiking, sailing, track racing, etc.

Is the tt your retirement gift?

Aren't diamond cufflinks or a gold watch easier?
no need to dress up or care what time it is. there is always time for vinyl. of course you can sell them both for more vinyl.

like my CS Port and the Saskia, the Esoteric T1 has an indent in the side of the platter to get your fingers on the record easily to change sides or remove while the platter is spinning. so that design feature does indicate that it is the preferred method. not yet read or experienced that the T1 sounds better running continually, but i expect that to be the case.

start-up for the T1 does take time with the magnetic wheel technology; my guess is 30-45 seconds for 33rpm, not yet done 45rpm but assume that takes relatively longer. which precludes stopping and starting every time. but i know not everyone is comfortable picking up spinning records, although for myself it's the most natural thing to do.

spin down time untouched is a couple minutes (did not measure it). but since there is no motor touching or in any way connected to the platter gently stopping it is no bother.
With such a slow start up time, this is definitely not a broadcast quality turntable, which needs to achieve speed stability in half a second. So, this is no Technics SP-10 Mk2/3 for sure!

(...) start-up for the T1 does take time with the magnetic wheel technology; my guess is 30-45 seconds for 33rpm, not yet done 45rpm but assume that takes relatively longer. which precludes stopping and starting every time. but i know not everyone is comfortable picking up spinning records, although for myself it's the most natural thing to do. (...)

Curious how audiophile perceptions change with time - in the late 80's the Forsell turntable with the heavy airbearing flywheel also needed picking up spinning records and was very criticized for it! In fact, a little push at the startup could reduce it to about thirty seconds. Unfortunately in some full moon days the speed would never stabilize ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing