Entreq Tellus grounding

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
last night late I did move the Silver Tellus and the new Infinity upgraded Atlantic Eartha and Apollo Eartha over to the Studers. had to move things around a bit. there is a proper chassis ground on both Studer A-820's, as well as one on the King Cello tape repro, although I did need to improvise and use a chassis screw as a ground point for the King Cello power supply. prior to this I have never had any grounding tweaks on the tape decks. likely because they sound so remarkable 'nude'. the only tweaks I've had in that area are the NCF Furutech outlets and power cable plugs, as well as Wave Kinetics A10-U8 footers (under the KC and KC power supply) and Walker anti-resonance lead filled pucks (on top of same).

playing a few tapes this morning, the addition of the Silver Tellus + the new Infinity upgraded cables has stepped things up a bit. it's not a huge change, but then we are near the optimal already with these sources. small steps up in vividness, the solidity and calmness of the presentation, just a degree more refined and not processed. a bit more color and hue, more textural nuance and delicacy. on peaks just more planted and easy on the senses.

and when my pocketbook can handle it, I know that adding an Atlantic Tellus to the Silver Tellus will bump up, more than a little, what i'm hearing now; as the Atlantic Minimus's did for the Poseidon. so that will be at some future time. the Silver Tellus is sitting below the King Cello, on Wave Kinetics A10 U8's, between the Studers. you can see the silver hook into the ground pin on the King Cello.

infin-1.jpg
infin-2.jpg
infin-3.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
this morning I was sitting here noticing the stack of old version Entreq cables waiting to be shipped back to Entreq, and my mind started considering what sort of opportunities those cables might offer.

what else might I ground? hummmm.

a few weeks back I had taken a stab at grounding my passive main speaker towers with my Troy Signature......and it paid a nice performance dividend I never expected.

what if I used one of these extra Entreq ground cables to add a second ground cable to my passive main speaker towers? so I did it. I had to add a washer to the screw on the EA main tower plate to accommodate the large Entreq spade, but otherwise it was easy enough to do. I connected it to the same post on the Troy Signature i'm using for the mono block chassis ground as the middle post already has 2 spades from the other main tower ground cables, and I did not want to try and add 2 more for 4 spades on one post. so now there are 2 spades on each of three posts.

it did not make any big startling difference, but it did enhance the degree of expressiveness of the music. I heard more breath and human action in vocals, more background information in the ambient information, slightly more textures and inner nuance. I liked what it did, and that was first blush.

I think my point here is that it pays to be curious and then just listen and follow your ears.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
this morning I was sitting here noticing the stack of old version Entreq cables waiting to be shipped back to Entreq, and my mind started considering what sort of opportunities those cables might offer.

a few weeks back I had taken a stab at grounding my passive main speaker towers with my Troy Signature......and it paid a nice performance dividend I never expected.

what if I used one of these extra Entreq ground cables to add a second ground cable to my passive main speaker towers? so I did it. I had to add a washer to the screw on the EA main tower plate to accommodate the large Entreq spade, but otherwise it was easy enough to do. I connected it to the same post on the Troy Signature i'm using for the mono block chassis ground as the middle post already has 2 spades from the other main tower ground cables, and I did not want to try and add 2 more for 4 spades on one post. so now there are 2 spades on each of three posts.

it did not make any big startling difference, but it did enhance the degree of expressiveness of the music. I heard more breath and human action in vocals, more background information in the ambient information, slightly more textures and inner nuance. I liked what it did, and that was first blush.

I think my point here is that it pays to be curious and then just listen and follow your ears.

Very interesting...i did something similar and found that as long as i was not using 2 different kinds of cables on either the connection to the back of the Tripoint or onto the signal or chassis grounding of the particular unit...it also was better. But if i MIXED the kinds of cables, i got a funny response coming out the other end which sounded, well, mixed.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
this morning

There 's the Receivus yet to try .It certainly intensifies the gains you have experienced so far .... And the Cable wraps , which given your room maybe you don't need . The Entreq wraps work a treat for me however , they do require a fair amount of trial and error, before one gets a hang of how to best employ them , I think LL21 has had good results with the wraps as well . Did you manage to try the new top of the line Eartha above the Atlantis , it's name escapes me at the moment . Also I believe the Atlantis in its infinity version can be ordered as single pronged , with the old forked model as an option . Frees up a lot more grounding posts , if one were to attach multiple units .

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
There 's the Receivus yet to try .It certainly intensifies the gains you have experienced so far .... And the Cable wraps , which given your room maybe you don't need . The Entreq wraps work a treat for me however , they do require a fair amount of trial and error, before one gets a hang of how to best employ them , I think LL21 has had good results with the wraps as well . Did you manage to try the new top of the line Eartha above the Atlantis , it's name escapes me at the moment . Also I believe the Atlantis in its infinity version can be ordered as single pronged , with the old forked model as an option . Frees up a lot more grounding posts , if one were to attach multiple units .

Hey Jazzhead,

Yes, i have had very good experience with the Entreq Wraps...excellent. They are very inexpensive, and the Silver Wraps have worked incredibly well...with the caveat which you know well from your own experience that placement is important. I also agree that in a system as 'pure/clean' as Mike's the effect may be anywhere from negligible to negative where I have witnessed in my own system in one particular area where it was better NOT to have the Entreq wrap. Not sure why but it was clear that caution is warranted.

However, i own several Silver Wraps and would not take them out now.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks for the further feedback Mike.
All makes sense to me and it is interesting how the Entreq earth cables are able to extract that extra bit of performance from a system as good as yours is.
I had a good listening session last night and played the Mofi Modern Cool SACD for the first time since an session with it very soon after the new cables went in. Initially I was listening critically for further improvement which was there but the uncanny thing was that a bit later I realised that unconsciously the critical faculties had switched themselves off and I was just sitting back and enjoying the music.
Picked up a report on my grapevine of somebody who had tried an Atlantis Infinity XLR in their system (probably DCS) and reported being "flabbergasted" by the improvement in sound. Hoping to try one soon and upgrade the Atlantis earth cables on the Poseidon/amp negative speaker terminals which should be interesting,

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Very interesting...i did something similar and found that as long as i was not using 2 different kinds of cables on either the connection to the back of the Tripoint or onto the signal or chassis grounding of the particular unit...it also was better. But if i MIXED the kinds of cables, i got a funny response coming out the other end which sounded, well, mixed.

I am using 2 different ground cables (Tripoint Signature Silver + Entreq Discover ground) on the main speaker towers into the Tripoint Troy Sig; but they go to separate posts. no notice of any 'funny response' yet.....but I will take note of your feedback and be observant of that possibility. thanks. we all throw our experiences into the data bank as we move forward.....toward grounding nirvana.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

I will be using the 'split/forked pronged' Atlantic Eartha 'hooks' on the Poseidon-Atlantic Minimus set-up, since there is (or rather I expect there to be) a bump up by being able to connect the Atlantic Eartha to both the Poseidon and the Atlantic Minimus.

on the Studers I am using a 'single' prong Atlantic Eartha 'hook' for the reasons you cite.

if i get a chance to sample the Receivus in my system, i certainly will. or any other Entreq bits that come my way. i'm always open and curious. OTOH; it will be awhile before i'm in acquisition mode again.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks for the further feedback Mike.
All makes sense to me and it is interesting how the Entreq earth cables are able to extract that extra bit of performance from a system as good as yours is.
I had a good listening session last night and played the Mofi Modern Cool SACD for the first time since an session with it very soon after the new cables went in. Initially I was listening critically for further improvement which was there but the uncanny thing was that a bit later I realised that unconsciously the critical faculties had switched themselves off and I was just sitting back and enjoying the music.
Picked up a report on my grapevine of somebody who had tried an Atlantis Infinity XLR in their system (probably DCS) and reported being "flabbergasted" by the improvement in sound. Hoping to try one soon and upgrade the Atlantis earth cables on the Poseidon/amp negative speaker terminals which should be interesting,

+1.

as you say. as we move down this road to optimal grounding it seems that the musical equation is more and more the experiential and direct to our senses, and less to our conscious brain. the music pulls us over into the emotional and fills us up. and i think that is what we want.

member Tang made an interesting point that these grounding products can 'possibly' take us further than other gear upgrades can, and in ways not otherwise accessible.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am using 2 different ground cables (Tripoint Signature Silver + Entreq Discover ground) on the main speaker towers into the Tripoint Troy Sig; but they go to separate posts. no notice of any 'funny response' yet.....but I will take note of your feedback and be observant of that possibility. thanks. we all throw our experiences into the data bank as we move forward.....toward grounding nirvana.

I think different posts is key...I was definitely advised by Miguel not to use different cables on the same post. When i mixed cables...i was on same post.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
today we have an 'Entreq Event' at the barn. a few Entreq enthusiasts are getting together in my room later today and experience all the grounding things going on in my system, trade Entreq perspectives, and enjoy the new Infinity level cables.

WBF member 'eds60' is driving down from Vancouver, B.C. and will bring at least one other of his Entreq enthusiast friends. WBF member 'Mossback', another Entreq enthusiast, who lives in the Seattle area, will also be joining us.

and wouldn't you know it, this morning we have our first real snowfall of the year here at the barn. it will be a nice day to be inside with fellow music lovers listening.

sn.jpg

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
today we have an 'Entreq Event' at the barn. a few Entreq enthusiasts are getting together in my room later today and experience all the grounding things going on in my system, trade Entreq perspectives, and enjoy the new Infinity level cables.

WBF member 'eds60' is driving down from Vancouver, B.C. and will bring at least one other of his Entreq enthusiast friends. also WBF member 'Mossback', another Entreq enthusiast, who lives in the Seattle area, will also be joining us.

and wouldn't you know it, this morning we have our first real snowfall of the year here at the barn. it will be a nice day to be inside with fellow music lovers listening.

View attachment 37026

I would like to say it is a real life privilege to have a place like yours Mike.

I hope the Entreq Event did not turn into a Tripoint event :p.

Kind regards,
Tang

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia

WBF member 'eds60' is driving down from Vancouver, B.C. and will bring at least one other of his Entreq enthusiast friends. WBF member 'Mossback', another Entreq enthusiast, who lives in the Seattle area, will also be joining us.

View attachment 37026

Just WOW!!!!
I'm too far to attend :(

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden
www.euphonia-audioforum.se

What a nice event. Very cool.
I may have an Entreq product that you haven't seen. It's not a big deal, but it's convenient.
It's an Eartha Challenger Double Y-cable;

I modified the 4Point connection box with a grounding post, so now I have one grounding cable connected from tonearm --> stepup --> phono --> Tellus.

I have tested the other cables also, but so far I prefer the Challenger in my system.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I would like to say it is a real life privilege to have a place like yours Mike.

I hope the Entreq Event did not turn into a Tripoint event :p.

Kind regards,
Tang

thank you Tang, and some of us live at the beach, or the desert, or the tropics, or in the middle of a big city.....and each one has it's magic. I love the mountains and the extremes of weather, and am at peace here and never take it for granted; it's a privilege as you say.

Tripoint event? i'm not monogamous as far as grounding. I think all these products are tools to be used to better our musical experience. and you have your Schnerzinger (not really grounding, but a tweak I think of in the same vein), and there is the Setchi too and others. maybe Tripoint is King in this area and ideally a centerpiece if it pencils, but many roads lead to Rome.

i'm feeling pretty stoked by what i'm hearing....from my mixture.

yesterday I watched College Football all day until late; about 10;30pm I went down to listen for awhile, and things had taken a big step forward in vividness. it was a profound change. this morning i'm getting that same perception. I'm guessing the Infinity cables on the amp negative speaker terminals and bass amps reached a sweet spot of break-in. looking forward to the group showing up to give me some fresh ears for feedback.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
What a nice event. Very cool.
I may have an Entreq product that you haven't seen. It's not a big deal, but it's convenient.
It's an Eartha Challenger Double Y-cable;

I modified the 4Point connection box with a grounding post, so now I have one grounding cable connected from tonearm --> stepup --> phono --> Tellus.

I have tested the other cables also, but so far I prefer the Challenger in my system.

very interesting product; I will file that in my brain going forward. was that your idea? if so; congrats on the creativity to commission it's construction.

right now i'm using the Tripoint Elite and 4 separate grounding cables for my vinyl, including one Thor SE Master Reference. I did get creative to ground both my stainless steel arm boards.

and great pictures, btw. I love that you combine the related elements.;)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing