Massif Audio Design racks incoming, and......

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
Mike, the racks, matching base platforms and all the equipment look absolutely stunning! You must be relieved and delighted that it is all done, the amount of work and heavy lifting involved in that exercise is not to be taken lightly. Good for you- now enjoy.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

T Boost

VIP/Donor
Jul 21, 2018
Canada

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
i have too much gear. and some of it is very heavy.

my body hurts where i never knew i had something to hurt. i never worked this hard........at work. i'm not going to get into how it sounds for a little while, there is a lot to take in. probably need to get jazdoc over here for some therapy......and reality check. but i will say that at this point i feel good about it and hopefully all my aches and pains will go away. the easiest part of the whole process was assembly of the racks. easy peasy.

View attachment 121510 View attachment 121511 View attachment 121512 View attachment 121513 View attachment 121514
It’s an unpleasant assignment but I’m willing to undertake it for the betterment of the WBF community :)

T Boost

VIP/Donor
Jul 21, 2018
Canada
Congrats Mike!
I do not envy the pain of switching racks…
Moving Mikes gear onto newly assembled Massif racks is akin to a month of weight training at the gym.

T Boost

VIP/Donor
Jul 21, 2018
Canada
I have a stand and 2 amp stands
Looks great! Those are pretty new, but I don’t recognize your name. Thanks for posting!
Jumping in here and putting in my own two cents (US) about the effect of Massif rack construction sonically. I bought two 4-shelf racks and an amp stand from Trevor with a different gear configuration than currently but with the plan to upgrade. The two 4-shelf and one amp stand have the sonic feet that Trevor puts on the standard rack (I requested the feet for the amp stand even though they aren’t stock).

Since then, I’ve added Taiko Daiza isolation bases as additional isolation for the Pilium pre amp, La Scala Aqua DAC and the Taiko Extreme. I’ve also added Stein Music Matrix footers into the mix as needed.
The upshoot is that I worked my way up from the foundation of the Massif racks and found that it was a good way to start and tune accordingly. Some changes were subtle, like putting the Daiza’s under the Pilium Alexander and dramatic such as when I put the Aqua on the Daiza platform with the Stein’s under the Aqua to get it off the really bizarre rubber feet that come stock.

Bottom line is that I found the racks to be a solid foundation to build from for my own purposes. Trevor also went above and beyond to make sure that assembly questions were promptly answered. He really builds his racks with the passion of a listener and it shows.

P.S. - Every Formula One car is an expensive piece of unique machinery. I’ve never heard of one that the driver didn’t tune the suspension to get it right for them.
thank you sir.

Attachments

• IMG_9417.jpeg
    IMG_9417.jpeg
    644 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: Backo NYC/SF

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
i have too much gear. and some of it is very heavy.

my body hurts where i never knew i had something to hurt. i never worked this hard........at work. i'm not going to get into how it sounds for a little while, there is a lot to take in. probably need to get jazdoc over here for some therapy......and reality check. but i will say that at this point i feel good about it and hopefully all my aches and pains will go away. the easiest part of the whole process was assembly of the racks. easy peasy.

View attachment 121510 View attachment 121511 View attachment 121512 View attachment 121513 View attachment 121514
A Massif undertaking!

Backo NYC/SF

Oct 15, 2021
Looks great! Those are pretty new, but I don’t recognize your name. Thanks for posting!

thank you sir.
Since you posted it, here’s a few closeups of the current setup.

Attachments

• IMG_1043.jpeg
    IMG_1043.jpeg
    934.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1042.jpeg
    IMG_1042.jpeg
    900.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1045.jpeg
    IMG_1045.jpeg
    888.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1055.jpeg
    IMG_1055.jpeg
    741 KB · Views: 77

T Boost

VIP/Donor
Jul 21, 2018
Canada

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Had a quick listening session at Mike's this morning. Please take these comments in the context of ownership/endowment bias...

The effect I heard was similar to when I added the Massif racks including:
* blacker background
* more air around instruments
* increased high frequency energy
* improved articulation of individual instruments

The improvement at Mike's is greater than I achieved both in absolute terms and relative to his former baseline which could be secondary to better equipment, better isolation devices used in conjunction with the Massif racks, use of different wood combination and/or use of Nordost footers.

IMO, the racks are beautiful, well constructed and are a much better aesthetic fit for the listening environment.

Congrats!

Last edited:

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
* blacker background

The improvement at Mike's is greater than I achieved both in absolute terms and relative to his former baseline which could be secondary to better equipment, better isolation devices used in conjunction with the Massif racks, used of different wood combination and/or use of Nordost footers.

IMO, the racks are beautiful, well constructed and are a much better aesthetic fit for the listening environment.

Congrats!
In the context of your own system, are your comments about the Massif as compared to your Scuttle or to some other rack?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Had a quick listening session at Mike's this morning. Please take these comments in the context of ownership/endowment bias...

* blacker background

The improvement at Mike's is greater than I achieved both in absolute terms and relative to his former baseline which could be secondary to better equipment, better isolation devices used in conjunction with the Massif racks, used of different wood combination and/or use of Nordost footers.

Congrats!
Mark, thank you for visiting, and your feedback on my Massif racks. i was waiting to post about my impressions to give me more time to make sure how i felt, as changing racks in a complicated system like mine, is a different beast than i normally deal with. it's a global kind of change, where every piece of gear in the signal path is a little different. yet, since i do basically treat every piece of gear on every shelf independently in one way or another, much of what is going on has not changed.

i have to admit that in the first 30-45 minutes i started listening once i had reassembled the system, i was thinking OMG!!! what have i done?:eek:

i just needed to chill out a little; after all...gear does not "like" to be moved around. and in this case, every piece of gear was moved and then sat off for 2 days, so the sound was flat and snarly. at about 45 minutes, things got much better, and after a couple of hours.....i liked it better than my prior memory.

after that warm up time, my initial take was a sense that the music was less processed, as Mark mentioned, more relaxed, more separation and ease in the soundstage. i also had an immediate sense of greater tone color. not coloration, but a richer more intense, more real life, tonal palette. and a bit more of a holographic presentation. as far as the bass and dynamics, really no change has been evident. maybe a touch more bass delineation with that greater separation.

hard to know the "why" exactly; my non scientific mind sees the Adona GXT Zero racks using very high mass granite shelves, aluminum legs, solid cone footers and steel cross members. no decoupling. the Massif is the 3" thick Bubinga legs sitting on the Nordost Sort Fut decoupling footers, and 1.75" thick solid maple shelves. then on the top shelf, there are the Bubinga/ball bearing sandwich footers and another 1.75" thick solid maple shelf. so more layers of an impedance change. the 'sound' of granite verses the sound of Bubinga and solid Maple + the footer difference. my sense is that there is a nice synergy going on with the Massif racks and Nordost footers......on my 6" thick concrete floor and in my particular system.

the only two places where i made a tuning change with my gear with the rack change was with my MR-70 tape preamps, and a slight change to a lower VTA with my arms due to a bit of higher top end energy (but no edge or brightness). with the previous rack for the MR-70's i had used the Wave Kinetics A10 U8 decoupling footers. with the Massif it seemed that the A10 U8 footers were a little soft sounding, slightly smearing the sound. so i tried some BDR cones i've had for years, and that seemed to be just the right synergy. i had Mark listen to both footer choices, and he also chose the BDR cones as more correct.

many thanks to Trevor for these beautiful racks. i bought them for their better room look, hoping that they would sound as good. but then got a performance/synergy upgrade too.

the Massif has delivered a solid, really beautiful product. which sounds great in my system. it's important to note that i treat the gear/shelf interface for every piece of gear, so my result includes that. and those Nordost footers. i highly recommend the Massif racks. and they don't break the bank, in my case i did upgrade the expense of the more exotic wood. so that is a variable.

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
In the context of your own system, are your comments about the Massif as compared to your Scuttle or to some other rack?
Great question and the answer is: it's complicated...

Currently the turntables, signal box for the line stage and amps are on the Scuttle while the rest of the equipment is on the Massif racks. I'm awaiting a big phono preamp upgrade and will reestablish analog baseline before moving things around. The above is a definite finding for the CD player...

Reactions: Salectric

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing