Emm labs pre2 any experience at home

apogee

Oct 5, 2013
Hi looking for some input on emm labs pre 2
I want to change preap already have a simaudio 5.3p
I did not find a lot of info just 2 ou 3 review
Pierre

I do have from 2019 a Pre2. What can I Say?
My choice was primarly due to the need of a remote preamps with many inputs; so... First of all: flexibility.
It's very well balanced in all frequency's spectrum. The sound is overall a bit dark; not bright at all, neverthless the detail is superb.
Dynamically it's not explosive like the tube preamps I had previously (Coincident and Aria audio) but if you find the right power amp partner (I mean sensitivity and input impedance) IMHO it's a fine choice.
In One Word: I have more microdynamics and less macrodynamics. In A/B comparison Emmlabs seems a little bit timid and costrained but I assure that it's absolutely not at all and more right and with less fatiguing in long listening.
We all know that Emmlabs is much more reputated in digital domain but with evidence they are competitive also in High-end amplification. A friend of mine, reputated music lover, had It in his system for many years and he recently replaced it with PRE (the flagship...). Another friend of mine has Pre2 in his fine system partnered with DCS Rossini as source and Viola Bravo as Power amp and he doesn't need to change it...
as many other audio brand price listing is almost absurd when new; on the contrary in the used market you can find a fine unit at 1/4 of new price...
Good chance with your choice!

Last edited:
I am a bit suprise everytime that i heard tube preamp they were not dynamique
Pierre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing