DSD128fs vs. DSD64fs

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've been wondering this for a while. We receive a large amount of tapes to master and archive. As of now, the only way to record DSD128fs is through a Korg MR unit. There are several converters/workstations that will record DSD64fs.

We blindly put up files from both formats at 24/176.4 and no matter what sample rate converter we use, our clients ALWAYS choose the DSD64fs file to use as their format of choice. This got me to thinking. When DSD128fs becomes available, will this replace DSD64fs as the "go to" format? Merging has a converter that will record at DSD256fs.

So, what I will do in the next week (when I get time), is to put up DSD128fs files and compare them to the very best that DSD64fs has to offer. I will use the Grimm AD1 into the Sonoma against the new modified Korg MR2000s.

valenroy

Dec 3, 2012
Hi Bruce,

Will there be any chance that can post the sample up for listening comparisons? Currently, I have both the Mytek and TEAC UD-501 that are both capable of DSD64 & DSD128 playback and it will be really educational to be able to differentiate the sound quality between the two sampling rates. Hope to hear good news from your end! Thanks!

Ivan
Singapore

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Yes, I will be posting the files for download. I have some great tapes that I will be doing transfers from a great A80RC into DSD128fs and DSD64fs.

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Wonderful Bruce. Always wanted to hear a 2xDSD download file. Unfortunately the Opus sample track did not playback on my Korg. Plays on Audiogate though.
BTW what modifications have you done on the Korg? Or could you suggest who did it?
I find the Korg is great at converting A/D but compared to the stand alone DSD Dac's (PBD, Mytek, etc.) it lets itself down in D/A.
many thanks and look forward to the sampler.
Cheers,
Neville

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Just a little side step here. Was conversing over at SA-CD.net about the differences between DSD128fs and DSD64fs. There I said even though the Grimm could "only" do DSD64fs, it still sounded better than the Korg at 128fs.

Then someone asked, if you record both 64fs and 128fs from the same source to the Korg, what would sound better. The consensus was that the 128fs file sounded better. Now what if you upsampled the 64fs file to 128fs, would they sound the same. Well... it's inconclusive. I did it through the Audiogate software and could hear a difference. I also have Saracon and custom software to do this and couldn't hear a differnce... but they sure do look different on FFT.
The top sample is the original DSD128fs file and the bottom is the DSD64fs file.

DSD128fs.jpg upsample.jpg

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I've put 3 DSD files up on the server for anyone to download... I'll only keep these up a few days.

1. DSD128fs

2. DSD64fs

3. DSD64fs file upsampled to DSD128fs via custom software.

ftp://pugetsoundstudios.com/
User: samples
PW: whatsbestforum

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Hey Bruce,
you ever thought about contacting Bruno at Grimm Audio with your experience?
I have a feeling he would be interested as you are part of a known studio, and using top tier pro equipment including their AD1.

Would be interesting to see what would come out from such a discussion, and he may suggest some further tests.
Cheers
Orb

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Thanks Bruce, great track for comparison. Was the master from an analog reel tape? Thanks Neville

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Bruce,

You should borrow a TechDas Air Force One system and a Doshi phono unit to digitize some DD and high quality LPs in PCM192 , DSD128fs and DSD64fs. WBF members would be the trained panel. All in the interest of science ... ;)

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce,

You should borrow a TechDas Air Force One system and a Doshi phono unit to digitize some DD and high quality LPs in PCM192 , DSD128fs and DSD64fs. WBF members would be the trained panel. All in the interest of science ... ;)

I'm up for it!! ;)

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Yes, 1/2" tape from Studer A80RC...

Thanks. I am just reading your thread while the 2xDSD version is playing -OMG! Feel like my knees have been chopped off....just w'ful!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing