Don’t let the upgrade bug bite you in the “bum”: Be happy with what you have and enjoy the music

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
With the respect I feel I am wiling to show the author of that article, I don't really think it is very relevant to most people here. Infact I couldn't disagree more with them. The author doesn't really appear to have a high calibre setup and doesn't even have decent cables so their credibility as any sort of authority on audio is out the window already so far as I am concerned.

I will never be satisfied unless I know a system I am using is 100% transparent to the source. Since this is impossible to achieve, I will never be satisfied.

With all due respect, making critical remarks about the credibility of someone based on the system that person enjoys because it doesn't meet your "personal" standards is inappropriate at best. I find it sad that you will never be satisfied with what you have. To me, that suggests a path that is misguided and, in the long run, unhealthy. But that's just me and my personal outlook on life in general.

I think you have missed the OP's purpose in starting this thread which is very pure, innocent, and heartfelt. It was not meant to be a "platform" upon which others can or should make disparaging comments and judgments. In the end, the bottom line is that this hobby is about enjoying music and noone can tell anyone else how to get "there".:cool:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The thing is people assume this hobby is about what they want it to be. The author assumes it is about the music and not upgrading. For some it is about the upgrading. For some it is about speaker positioning, for some about DIY, for some about room acoustics, for some about VTA/SRA. My current hobby is researching gear and writing about it. Hey whatever drives your fancy. This is a mix of many hobbies, including music and upgrades, and people can mix and match whichever way they choose, as long as they don't believe they are in here for music while they are actually upgrading - then dissonance builds up - know thyself. By telling someone who is happy upgrading to be happy with what he has, the author is in fact telling him to be unhappy

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Well said Ked. A very valid perspective assuming the nexus is the enjoyment of listening to music without getting neurotic about the gear.

PS: I still think that one should not judge someone based on the "quality" of their system and their ability to enjoy the music. Perhaps I misunderstood FF's post.

Last edited:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
The epithet "it's all about the music" does apply , even to serial upgraders..
There has only been one audiophile I know that had the classic uberexpensive system and 50 albums..to him it was only about the gear

The rest I know , despite OCD forays into gear purchasing , are major music buffs..collections in the 1000's...knowledgeable about the music.
Most want to wring out that last bit of emotion in the music and having a good system does help. Having heard some superb systems in superb rooms in my time..I have a sort of yardstick of whats possible..I want to be up there too...

Upgrading is fun..most of us dont spend food and rent money on gear.
When you get bored and want a new flavour and the bee in your bonnet flies off in a new direction it lays open a cornucopia of excitement

Theres the researching , the reviews , downloading the manuals , the argument with yourself that its justified , then informing the SO , the going to listen..maybe.. the frisson of risk you take buying from siberian turk who lives somewhere in bulgaria.
The rearranging of the system to accommodate the new whatever, preparing the cables and mains outlets,

Waiting for the UPS man to deliver...a modern day Father Christmas..the unboxing..the finding that you dont have the right cables.. the initial turning on...the initial disappointment ..the argument with yourself that it needs run in and that you didnt really buy a dud.. then all the tuning to get it to sound just right

And then a period of contentment..maybe...but that damned bee is once again buzzing , and you go back for another fix

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
All opinions count. The author of the article included.

If WBF was only for the ultra high end audio clientele, I wouldn't be part of that prestigious high caliber elite. Neither my Dad (RIP).

I started this thread simply because I found the article valid, very. It is one level; there are other levels too.
The level where we are is the right one. There are no wrong levels IMO.

It's a discussion.

It's true that the author doesn't appear to have the highest caliber system, and the cables he uses we can certainly have an opinion about that too.
So, he's not a true authority in audio? Of course not, who is? I didn't read his article as an authority, but simply as an audio article he shared.
We are @ a threshold of our liberated comfort zones. Meaning that it's up to us to decide where we go; do we pursue the quest to the ultimate sound reproduction when perfectly knowing that it'll never ends because the future will keep improving, evolving, ...or do we stop where we're @ and pursue another direction...the quest for the best music performances in the world? The ones that touch us the most profoundly. Or, we can pursue both directions, and many more...

It's a discussion. The gear is an important tool, the music recordings the essence, the performance of both the magic...the emotions.
I will keep upgrading the magic till I depart this planet for good, not before. Meanwhile the music is playing.

Upgrading my own spiritual composure, my own evolving music structure is as important as life itself. With the gear I have now, with the gear I had then, with the gear I'll have tomorrow.

It's a discussion, and all opinions count; including the ones we agree with and the ones we don't.
If I judge someone's else system, lifestyle, music evolution, ...I judge myself first. If I disagree with someone's else ways, I disagree with my own ways.
Anything I do to upgrade, anything I do to improve the acoustics of the sounds, anything @ all I do for me first. The music, then the rest.

Be happy with what you don't have and enjoy the music with what you have. I think.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Well said Ked. A very valid perspective assuming the nexus is the enjoyment of listening to music without getting neurotic about the gear.

PS: I still think that one should not judge someone based on the "quality" of their system and their ability to enjoy the music. Perhaps I misunderstood FF's post.

Fiddle Faddle was expressing his opinion. In regards to his view on most people here. He is certainly right. Many members here are the audiophiles type of upgrading, experimenting for sound improvement...the vast majority; I'd say around 90%. If not more.

In my above post I was a little humorous of course; when I said that the author doesn't have a high caliber system enough and his cables.
That's not the point of his article I believe; his article is a pause to simply enjoy the moment when the music play. Be in that time, in that happy moment.

Getting closer to the artists and to their music is the best upgrade, in my opinion. The music we love, the one that speaks to us.
It's a balance because some artists we might not necessarily like some aspects of their philosophy, but we like their music, almost always.
@ the end it's the music we hear and love that wins above everything else. With what we have.

Say we have a good system, and we're happy. We try other speakers, and we like the sound even more. We play the same music and it makes us even happier. Then we find an even better recording of that same music...say the master tape (matter). That's another upgrade, another higher dimension of happiness...sound sublimity, the apotheosis of the ultimate/intimate listening experience. Good. Now two months later we visit a friend in say...Alaska. She's an ultra hi-end audiophile who loves New Age music and World music.
We discover new music with her. We buy the recordings and we listen to them when we're back @ home.
But it seems that they were sounding better in her own system back in Alaska. And in fact they were better sounding in her own room.

Now, we work on reproducing her room's acoustics in our own rooms. Five years later with hard work and many many exchanges and visits with her we succeed. We have treated our rooms, bought new speakers (same ones she has), and the music is awesome sounding, just like they are in her own room.

Then we listen to our own music we were listening to prior to our visit in Alaska and in discovering new music.
And our own music doesn't sound anymore like it used to be; it sounds too muffled, it's not anymore to our taste.

This is just an example of a part of the journey, a path that has variables as complex as man and woman themselves.
A way of speech to indicate that happiness has many faces. That friend woman from Alaska, she became his wife, seven years later.
They had eight children, live happily ever after, and the eldest, a daughter, ...she's an audiophile right here @ WBF. ...And she's happy.

Last edited:

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
With all due respect, making critical remarks about the credibility of someone based on the system that person enjoys because it doesn't meet your "personal" standards is inappropriate at best. I find it sad that you will never be satisfied with what you have. To me, that suggests a path that is misguided and, in the long run, unhealthy. But that's just me and my personal outlook on life in general.

I call a spade a spade and that is that. If it were not for people like me who are not satisfied and constrantly strive for that elusive and impossible to achieve perfection, it would be a pretty ordinary and mediocre technological world that we live in. I honestly cannot stand people who have the following three attributes (a) accept ordinary standards (b) are sympathetic to those who aspire to those standards but most importantly (c) go on to tell everyone else that those are the sorts of standards they are required to accept. This is what the author of that article was implying. So please stop acting like the moral FBI thanks very much. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Last edited:

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
And just to further elucidate: if it were not for people who were perfectionists and never satisfied, we would never have had the Robert Fines, Wilma Cozart-Fines, Kenneth Wilkinsons, Jack Renners, Keith Johnsons and Bernie Grundmans of this audio world. I could name many other companies and people who would have created "state of the art" instead but I won't for obvious reasons. Apart from to say there are far, far, more in the latter category than the people I've mentioned. But those are the sorts of people who simply did not / do not tolerate mediocrity and ceaselessly pursued the very best that is possible. The body of works these people have left to the world are far above the best efforts of others.

This same, extremely annoying "accept what you have and be happy because I am happy" attitude pervades even more into the audio-visual and film industry. Infact it is even more annoying in that industry than it is the pure audio one. Because some average person thinks that 5 Mbps HEVC encoded video looks great to them (it actually looks like complete and utter garbage to a highly experienced viewer), they then go into print and say that because it is good enough for them, it has to be good enough for you. And if you aren't satisfied there is something wrong with you and you are a bully. Tell that to the producers of movies who shoot with Ultra Panavision 65mm film (i.e. Quentin Tarintino) and tell that to the people who see the uncompressed feeds out of the backside of a Red or Alexa Arri.

One of the main reasons I joined this forum is because the vast majority of people do not accept ordinary standards and we push each other to achieve better musical outcomes. It is also the reason I avoid all other audio forums these days. Because I am never ever going to learn anything useful anywhere on the internet than here when it comes to audio. I have never attacked anyone because they have a lowly system and in any case, my own equipment is irrefutably complete and utter junk compared to what almost everyone has here. But it comes down to attitude - not equipment. Getting the best out of it and improving it where it is possible to do so. And if you have the funds, upgrade all you like. Spent $500,000 if you have it. Good on you. Things will just keep getting better and closer and closer to that elusive perfection.

My attitude is that yes, I can still enjoy my system (and yes, I actually do, believe it or not), but I am under absolutely no delusion whatsoever that it is even remotely capable of being faithful to an original source. I don't care what quality systems people have so long as they are prepared to understand that better quality comes with better price and ongoing upgrading. And that nothing ever built in the history or professional or consumer audio - regardless of price - is transparent to the source. That sort of notion is complete and utter nonsense and it was the primary basis of my objection to the original article.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
If it wasn't for members like thedudeabides, Fiddle Faddle, Rodney Gold, bonzo75, and everyone else, I wouldn't be here, I wouldn't exist, I wouldn't have a reason to live. :b
Upgrading we do it everyday single day of our life, till we die; if it's not the audio it's our ears, our sensibilities, new music recordings, new discoveries, new falling in love with the one we're with. We never stop while we're alive, never. Because music matters.

By the way, my sound system is probably the most inexpensive of them all vast majority here; so one in most need of upgrading...any suggestions?
...Another reason why I posted that article, among several more...which you guys afford to discuss some, and more.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
By the way, my sound system is probably the most inexpensive of them all vast majority here; so one in most need of upgrading...any suggestions?

My mate Barry will get a laugh (or a cringe) out of this. Buy WA Quantum chips and stick 'em on your DAC's actual converter IC!

No, I am not kidding. Tried one on my Wolfsen WM8742 IC after some nutter (or so I thought) tried it and reported their findings on the internet. I only told Barry about them to avoid ridicule on these forums. But I have decided to thicken my skin so that cat is out of the bag. Afterall, it will be other people's losses, not mine! :eek:

So this forum helped me get into Entreq. Now it is time to play with WA Quantum chips! :D And that "nutter" should join this forum as he (or she) has pretty good ears.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I don't care what quality systems people have so long as they are prepared to understand that better quality comes with better price and ongoing upgrading.

Just a side comment: while the best quality comes at a price, the other way around does not always hold. Better price doesn't necesarily buy you better quality. That's a costly audiophile myth and a money waster, as well as a constant source of delusion. The audiophile world is full of ridiculously overpriced items.

But I enjoyed your post overall.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I don't care what quality systems people have so long as they are prepared to understand that better quality comes with better price and ongoing upgrading.

That is simply not true. A higher price does not guarantee that the item will produce higher performance. The same holds true for "on going upgrading". Performance bumps are the result of careful "system matching" and overall system synergy. :cool:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
My mate Barry will get a laugh (or a cringe) out of this. Buy WA Quantum chips and stick 'em on your DAC's actual converter IC!

No, I am not kidding. Tried one on my Wolfsen WM8742 IC after some nutter (or so I thought) tried it and reported their findings on the internet. I only told Barry about them to avoid ridicule on these forums. But I have decided to thicken my skin so that cat is out of the bag. Afterall, it will be other people's losses, not mine! :eek:

So this forum helped me get into Entreq. Now it is time to play with WA Quantum chips! :D And that "nutter" should join this forum as he (or she) has pretty good ears.

Good for you Jonathan
You've demonstrated your audiophile credentials well enough for me during your time with us for me to accept your verdict on the Wolfsen chip but goodness knows what Amir will make of your post if he sees it!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just a side comment: while the best quality comes at a price, the other way around does not always hold. Better price doesn't necesarily buy you better quality. That's a costly audiophile myth and a money waster, as well as a constant source of delusion. The audiophile world is full of ridiculously overpriced items.
(...)

Surely better price (I think you meant more expensive) doesn't buy you better quality if you do not know how to spend the money and spend it poorly. But when wisely spent more money gives you more quality.

IMHO the source of delusion is the absence of knowledge, nothing else.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Good for you Jonathan
You've demonstrated your audiophile credentials well enough for me during your time with us for me to accept your verdict on the Wolfsen chip but goodness knows what Amir will make of your post if he sees it!
Me? No. I am all in favor of the right for anyone to put as much stickers/stuff on things they own. Here is my car, setting an example myself:

Girls think I am the coolest cat around!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013

The best WBF post ever.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Please give us an example that does not involve refurbished Apogees ... :D

To start with, price is a complex thing, and for what you said, you need an efficient market. So the search process needs to be efficient. Given the nature of the hobby, the search process is inefficient. How many old married guys with kids have the time to search? Rhapsody on one of his posts said his clients buy Ferrari, speakers etc - some search, some don't they have more important things to do such as family and work. But that itself means those who don't search cannot find the best price point. Bill and I have very similar tastes and literally one to one agreements when we listen together. He has zero time to travel, even locally in London to demo speakers. He can only do inhouse. No way is he going to find an ideal price point to tick all his boxes. He has accepted there will an inefficiency in the search process.

Unrelated point 2. What is price? A 100+ k speaker, how much does it actually cost on the street? A restored Apogee is quoted at street cost - 30k USD for Full Range, 80 - 100 if you want to buy Henk's Grands, which were the costliest speaker once at 85k (in inflation heard that today it would have been 350k). But at 30k street of FR, compared to less than 50k of the 100+k speaker, the Apogee does not have any costs embedded for being hauled to every hifi show, every reviewer, transport, logistics, marketing, distribution - none. At the same time, the price does not factor in local service and long term company guarantee. Price is for pure sonics. So, price is more complex than RRP. Not to mention that crossovers, crossover components, connectors, etc can be customized to the highest specs.

Point 3, similar to 1. All of us have a different research process. Look at Ron's amp search. Would that be your method? Would your method be his? Mine would differ from both of you. If you are ever a fly on the wall on conversations between Marc and me, we differ on everything - research process, audition style, music tastes, gear tastes. Once preference and tastes are established, the purchasing decision process itself differs between audiophiles. Some buy for the pride of ownership - "I want to have the biggest brand in da house". Some buy on "best deal process." Money is no problem as long as it is a great discount. Some buy for "arms length, ease of install process". Thing is, these differing buying behaviors create a further disconnect between what should the price be for what element of that decision is most important to you. Which of these various attributes do you think justifies the most premium - that itself will differ from what I think justifies the most premium.

Point 4. You bought the Wilson and the Vivaldi. Did you listen to the big Stenheim and the YG Sonja? Also the Lampi? I am not asking you which is better, just asking if you heard them. If not, you cannot establish your research for the price point was thorough. All you can establish is you were thorough by what you assume is the right way to do research (whatever that may be)

Point 5. Unrelated to the above, there are crossover points. For example, even if you were a fan of a particular brand, say Wilson or Logan, as you upgraded your way up the models, a point will come where the speaker even though more expensive will be too big for your room, and bring down the SQ. So unless an audiophile owns a Mike L or Marty type room, high probability that many others will affect their SQ adversely as they keep upgrading speakers

Point 6. Again, what is price and what is cost? AR has a price, but you can buy and sell AR used in the UK all day, so cost is virtually zero. It's only liquidity cost. So liquidity plays a big role factored into the RRP, if that is important.

Point 7. Examples, Apogee aside.
a. I have compared Audience (cheapest), Ansuz C (middle), and Odin (costliest) signal cables in the same system. The preference was Ansuz, Audience, Odin, in that order.
b. With cartridges, more than cost, it is which way do you sway - I prefer Ortofon A95, XV-1T, Lyra Etna type sounds, as well as Audio Technica ART-9, to Koetsu Coralstone type sounds.
c. Tenor 75, used price 6500, cheap unless you factor in driver replacement costs :) - plus that you can take out the preamp and associated cables. Of course only if your choice is the right speaker.
d. Having horns will reduce room shape and treatment costs quite a bit as they are directive.
e. Lampi

I highlighted a thread by Shakti from the German forum today in the Analog section. Extremely detailed process, which helps eliminate inefficiencies in the search.

So, my final examples of systems are in my set up and recommended components list, but that aside, talking to audiophiles and how they have purchased, the market is just inefficient

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing