Deleted

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I wonder if this thread will go for 10 pages someday?

One of the most interesting threads on WBF in ages!

Bound to reach at least 1000 posts.

Reactions: PYP and Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
There was a bit of discussion about "nothing" a few posts ago. Soon, though I do not know when, I will have a lot more to say about the Nothing. Likely in another thread though.

The best upgrades to the sound of a system are those that cost Nothing.

Reactions: dcathro

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The best upgrades to the sound of a system are those that cost Nothing.

Yes, best upgrade but only in the no-cost sense. But, there are some upgrades that cost a lot, and they can make all the difference too. I just spent some days learning about both.

Nothing: Rubber belt to kevlar thread with proper tension - cheap
Something: Excellent turntable to a great turntable - expensive

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Nothing new to see here...

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The thread was dead and might have been forgotten except that you posted on 9/11/23 about some zoo somewhere.
Fuss about nothing.

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Upgrades that cost...nothing:
For many years I used champagne corks cut in half as component supports. They worked surprisingly well, particularly under heavier kit. The really entertaining thing was about 5 years ago a couple of dealers (two separate occasions) came round to demonstrate improvements / sell me stuff (select your adjective of choice according to your personal level of cynicism) and we try some expensive footers. Without listening to my admittedly horrible looking corks we put in these new footers under my PX25 and listened.... <shrug > OK, very nice.

On the first occasion I asked whether we could try the corks under the amp again. This instantly gave a cleaner, less hifi sound, tighter more ..."natural" bass, even the dealer saying "yes OK that does seem better on this occasion" :rolleyes:!
Same demo on the second occasion, different dealer same result, that time the dealer switched smoothly to trying something else and didn't discuss footers any more.
...Probably just how badly made the hifi footers actually were....

And no, I'm not naming names to embarrass anyone.

Reactions: PeterA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'd have thought quaffing the champagne down would have had an effect as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Al M.

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
  • Haha
Reactions: Al M.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing