Decisions

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
A local friend who had Brinkmann Balance for a very long time, then Kuzma Reference for a few years, now has the Bergmann coming. I never preferred his Kuzma setup. He’s going to use the Airline, Thales, and Bergmann arms.
@KeithR , have you discussed with your friend the comparison between his previous Brinkmann Balance and current ? Bergman Galder ?
I would be interested in his considerations of the two turntables..

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Keith, have you discussed with your friend the comparison between his previous Brinkmann Balance and current ? Bergman Galder ?
I would be interested in his considerations of the two turntables..

Why don't you also PM Fremer since he has reviewed both? I did. He replies

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Why don't you also PM Fremer? I did. He replies since he has reviewed both.
I tend to go with the considerations of home audiophiles who have lived with items of HiFi equipment that they own, or have owned, who have a longer term perspective than that of most reviewers.

Reactions: PeterA and bazelio

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I tend to go with the considerations of home audiophiles who have lived with items of HiFi equipment that they own, or have owned, who have a longer term perspective than that of most reviewers.

Ok if you have a handle on Keith's friend as to why he changes gear, if it is for sonic decisions or to scratch an itch, how he listens, what music he listens to.

Also if BB and BG differ in cones and horns

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Ok if you have a handle on Keith's friend as to why he changes gear, if it is for sonic decisions or to scratch an itch, how he listens, what music he listens to.

Also if BB and BG differ in cones and horns
Absolutely so, hopefully those facet’s may become evident also should Keith or even his friend respond to my query.

nickif

May 17, 2013
Why don't you also PM Fremer since he has reviewed both? I did. He replies

I once emailed Mr. Fremer asking for his opinion about a potential “turntable upgrade”, that was a long email with lots of info about my vinyl gear and why I was contemplating an upgrade.

And the mighty Mr. Fremer replied with only one sentence: “Zanden’s EQ curve recommendations are insane and absolutely not to be followed!”. I’m sorry, did I ask your opinion about my phono stage??? There were so many questions in the email and that’s all you have to say???

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I once emailed Mr. Fremer asking for his opinion for a potential “turntable upgrade”, that was a long email with lots of info about my vinyl gear and why I was contemplating an upgrade.

And the mighty Mr. Fremer replied with only one sentence: “Zanden’s EQ curve recommendations are insane and absolutely not to be followed!”. I’m sorry, did I ask your opinion about my phono stage??? There were so many questions in the email and that’s all you want to say??

From what I can see you are upset because someone did not read a long PM you thought you had put effort in, and gave feedback on a piece of equipment you owned and had not asked about

Regarding other questions at least when I email anyone I start out with those allowing the other person to read, understand, and reply quickly. When he responds I will after a while shoot back a quick to reply one again. Just my style,

Maybe long email is not the best start? I usually ignore the ones I receive especially on gear, and quite often even at work unless they are from my boss because when I get long PMs at work they interfere with my ability to read long threads on natural sound.

If someone gives me Zanden like feedback I will check on it irrespective if asked or not. EQ curve feedback is always a good point, and Fremer has always been anti EQ curve. I have tried EQ curves with FM, Allnic, Esotericsound equalizer, Thoress, a small Italian brand called Faber, they all do things differently does not mean all if any are correct.

nickif

May 17, 2013
From what I can see you are upset because someone did not read a long PM you thought you had put effort in, and gave feedback on a piece of equipment you owned and had not asked about

Regarding other questions at least when I email anyone I start out with those allowing the other person to read, understand, and reply quickly. When he responds I will after a while shoot back a quick to reply one again. Just my style,

Maybe long email is not the best start? I usually ignore the ones I receive especially on gear, and quite often even at work unless they are from my boss because when I get long PMs at work they interfere with my ability to read long threads on natural sound.

If someone gives me Zanden like feedback I will check on it irrespective if asked or not. EQ curve feedback is always a good point, and Fremer has always been anti EQ curve. I have tried EQ curves with FM, Allnic, Esotericsound equalizer, Thoress, a small Italian brand called Faber, they all do things differently does not mean all if any are correct.

No Bonzo, that’s not the point.

I was upset not because he didn’t read/answer my questions, I can totally understand if he just ignored my email and didn’t reply at all.

I was upset because there were so many ways of replying an email that can add value and be helpful, even as simple as “ I like XXX vs XXX” and he chose to reply in a rude and in-constructive way. Actually after the first reply, I followed up with two more emails, and nothing from Mr. Fremer at all.

Regarding the EQ, that’s off topic but I absolutely love it! why? Because it’s always good to have more choices. You can just put it on RIAA forever if you don’t like messing around with EQs but for those who do, this is a dream. Maybe there’s no value for you but it doesn’t mean there’s no value at all.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No Bonzo, that’s not the point.

I was upset not because he didn’t read/answer my questions, I can totally understand if he just ignored my email and didn’t reply at all.

I was upset because there were so many ways of replying an email that can add value and be helpful, even as simple as “ I like XXX vs XXX” and he chose to reply in a rude and in-constructive way. Actually after the first reply, I followed up with two more emails, and nothing from Mr. Fremer at all.

Regarding the EQ, that’s off topic but I absolutely love it! why? Because it’s always good to have more choices. You can just put it on RIAA forever if you don’t like messing around with EQs but for those who like, this is a dream. Maybe there’s no value for you but it doesn’t mean there’s no value at all.

It's not about value, it is about the fact that some phonos (no idea about Zanden) are not really adjusting to the other non-RIAA curve but just adding some weird EQ, and the circuitry adding more interference to the circuit path than a phono without all that EQ. either way if you prefer the sound that is all. EMT and Allnic are both known to be good phonos as is FM in solid state even when people do not use the EQ, and I do know Tang uses EMT EQ when he plays vdh, not sure how much he uses it for non-RIAA curves

My point is many people will not read a long email they will just glance at it. Just my feedback. I certainly don't read long PMs on gear.

If I PM someone I do not know, and even someone I know, I will try to ensure they can read it quickly and respond quickly, If they want to write more details it should be their choice.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My point is many people will not read a long email they will just glance at it.

If I PM someone I do not know, and even someone I know, I will try to ensure they can read it quickly and respond quickly, If they want to write more details it should be their choice.

+1

nickif,

I really think you should not be upset. An alternative view is that one could consider it impolite of you to have written a long email to somebody you don’t know and bombard that person with detailed questions the answers to which require a deep and time-consuming dive into your declared personal subjective preferences and your system's particularities.

nickif

May 17, 2013
It's not about value, it is about the fact that some phonos (no idea about Zanden) are not really adjusting to the other non-RIAA curve but just adding some weird EQ, and the circuitry adding more interference to the circuit path than a phono without all that EQ. either way if you prefer the sound that is all. EMT and Allnic are both known to be good phonos as is FM in solid state even when people do not use the EQ, and I do know Tang uses EMT EQ when he plays vdh, not sure how much he uses it for non-RIAA curves

My point is many people will not read a long email they will just glance at it. Just my feedback. I certainly don't read long PMs on gear.

Point taken Sir. Well maybe it was not that long, definitely not longer than your 2 posts combined together…:)

I just wanted to give a bit more information about my situation so that opinions can be specific. When I got pmed asking for opinion about gears, I prefer a bit more information about the inquirer’s system and music taste otherwise it’s just difficult add value.

Regarding the Zanden 1200s, on RIAA it already sounds fantastic; For some recordings, proper EQ curve has a profound impact in a good way, at least to my ears. So again, more choices = better value in my book.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For some recordings, proper EQ curve has a profound impact in a good way, at least to my ears. So again, more choices = better value in my book.

Yes I tried with old stereo and mono records. There can be an impact not sure if always positive and differs phono to phono based on their EQ methodology

nickif

May 17, 2013
+1

nickif,

I really think you should not be upset. An alternative view is that one could consider it rude of you to have written a very long email to somebody you don’t know and bombard that person with detailed questions the answers to which require a deep and time-consuming dive into your declared personal subjective preferences and your system's particularities. Why would you think it’s okay to start with that kind of email and expectations?

LOL, yes of course, you are absolutely right sir.

It’s always your fault, NOT mine. Applause!!

As I said, it’s okay if you just IGNORE?? That’s totally understandable.

nickif

May 17, 2013
+1

nickif,

I really think you should not be upset. An alternative view is that one could consider it impolite of you to have written a long email to somebody you don’t know and bombard that person with detailed questions the answers to which require a deep and time-consuming dive into your declared personal subjective preferences and your system's particularities.

Read it again and it made me laugh every time.

Since when sending an email to someone you admire seeking for opinion is considered “rude”??? And the email starts with “I’m a long term loyal reader and absolutely love your column. Did I mention any ”expectation”? No….you can just ignore if you don’t want to read it.

Your tone reminds me of CNN, just pure bias and prejudice.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Read it again and it made me laugh every time.

Since when sending an email to someone you admire seeking for opinion is considered “rude”??? And the email starts with “I’m a long term loyal reader and absolutely love your column. Did I mention any ”expectation”? No….you can just ignore if you don’t want to read it.

Your tone reminds me of CNN, just pure bias and prejudice.
Sorry if I read too much into your own description of your email and why you were upset at his response.

Reactions: nickif

nickif

May 17, 2013
Sorry if I read too much into your own description of your email and why you were upset at his response.

That’s ok Ron, you got your point too, maybe I shouldn’t have had much expectation...

I still love Mike’s column anyway :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I once emailed Mr. Fremer asking for his opinion about a potential “turntable upgrade”, that was a long email with lots of info about my vinyl gear and why I was contemplating an upgrade.

And the mighty Mr. Fremer replied with only one sentence: “Zanden’s EQ curve recommendations are insane and absolutely not to be followed!”. I’m sorry, did I ask your opinion about my phono stage??? There were so many questions in the email and that’s all you have to say???

IMHO reviewers can't answer to such emails with specific advice on particular brands. Although emails are supoosed to be private they would risk that someone posts it or makes it public, sometimes out of context, creating an embarrassing situation. However sometimes they will give us casual advice in a private talk.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
IMHO reviewers can't answer to such emails with specific advice on particular brands. Although emails are supoosed to be private they would risk that someone posts it or makes it public, sometimes out of context, creating an embarrassing situation. However sometimes they will give us casual advice in a private talk.

Fremer, 6 moons, audio beat guys and positive feedback have all replied.

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014

By calling me “mighty”, you reveal yourself. I’m sorry I didn’t drop everything I was doing to be your personal equipment valet and answe “so many questions.” My inbox is a traffic jam of advice questions. If cogently asked often I can respond. You gave it away with “so many questions”. Most often what happens when I take the time to do this is weeks later I ask “what did you end up with?” And I get “I took the dealer’s advice”. In other words nothing I recommended. If you included in your info that you had a Zanden (nice piece), my response was good advice since Zanden’s position on curves is not fact-based.

Reactions: hogen and nickif

nickif

May 17, 2013
By calling me “mighty”, you reveal yourself. I’m sorry I didn’t drop everything I was doing to be your personal equipment valet and answe “so many questions.” My inbox is a traffic jam of advice questions. If cogently asked often I can respond. You gave it away with “so many questions”. Most often what happens when I take the time to do this is weeks later I ask “what did you end up with?” And I get “I took the dealer’s advice”. In other words nothing I recommended. If you included in your info that you had a Zanden (nice piece), my response was good advice since Zanden’s position on curves is not fact-based.

Hi Mike, didn’t expect you saw this and replied here. No, you are so wrong, I‘m nobody so there’s no point to “reveal myself” :p. Anyways just some random rumbling we are all good here.

I’m still a big fan and love Analogplanet because I understand what you’ve been telling people about vinyl, which is not easy for the past decades when digital was at its prime. When I was listing to digital before, I found myself constantly thinking about tweaks to make my system “sound better”, until later I realized there’s fundamental issues with digital so that no matter what I did, I was never satisfied. When listening to vinyl, I‘m still open to all kinds of tweaks however I‘m very “satisfied” and “content”, that’s a huge difference.

Happy to see that Vinyl is making a comeback as people finally realized what they have missed…great job there Mike! That’s why I gave up digital and went all in with Vinyl.

Cheers!
Michael

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing