Decisions

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Those are the Tannoys you like?
Nice view, if ever the music fails to engage.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brinkmann’s new direct drive Taurus looks worthy of investigation.
I caught the Brinkmann ad copy stating that their Oasis introduced the DD renaissance a decade ago, and smiled. Yep, let's whitewash the GP Monaco, and ongoing production well over a decade ago of the Technics SL1200.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Vienna

VIP/Donor

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Well the three tables you listed definitely have different DNA. To me, the Kuzma XLDC would fool you into thinking you had a direct drive TT, while the Brinkman absolutely would not. The TW Acustics are somewhere in between IME, but I've not heard the exact model you mentioned. Good luck trying to attribute a singular sound with respect to DC motors, though. I've heard plenty of variation there.

Reactions: Vienna

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Well the three tables you listed definitely have different DNA. To me, the Kuzma XLDC would fool you into thinking you had a direct drive TT, while the Brinkman absolutely would not. The TW Acustics are somewhere in between IME, but I've not heard the exact model you mentioned. Good luck trying to attribute a singular sound with respect to DC motors, though. I've heard plenty of variation there.

Thank you Brian, I know that Kuzma has addressed many inverted bearing issues (lubrication well, rubby bearing) as well as the speed stability with his new controllers, powerful motor and the inelastic belt, but have you listened to brinkmann balance with third party Tonearm?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Only with Brinkman tonearm. So, no to that question. I have a second table which is the Brinkman Bardo magnetic direct drive on which I've mounted a Kuzma 4 point. It's a nice little combo.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Who attributed a single sound to DC motors?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How it was the sound Ked?

It was difficult to make out since his tannoys were under run (he has them new and is going to try different amps) so the gain match wasn't the best. I preferred most the cheap avid with the SME arm and VDH colibri, but he has rotated them before and said what I was preferring is the arm cart combo, not the table. In his opinion the Bergmann was the better of all.

FRemer has reviewed the Brinkmann balance, the Bergmann Galder, and various others. I have emailed him over the stereophile site and he is quick to respond.

I emailed him because he described the Brinkmann balance exactly because of why I like it. Imo it is quite superior to the likes of techdas AF1 premium, kronos, SME, Doehmann 1 etc, and only something like Vyger or some very rare tables, specially modded idlers or DDs, carefully set up by experts might beat it on a case by case basis. And tbh if a good linear tracker is set up on it it will be as good as any linear tracking table. Marc Gomez of SAT also had advised tang to buy it saying it is superior to some high priced tables.

Reactions: Vienna

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
And the guy who sold Mike the CS port doesn't like DC motors, and after listening to kuzma, Doehmann, I can see why.
In my understanding CS Port uses DC motor. So I am confused: the guy who sold that turntable to Mike does’t like its sound?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In my understanding CS Port uses DC motor. So I am confused: the guy who sold that turntable to Mike does’t like its sound?

I have no what CS has. i think it is my bad I took this is "off the sonic conclusions path to the design path, though I am sure the technical experts can establish a pattern between AC and pabst and DC

Also met a Maine coon for the first time today

Attachments

• 96FC29EF-C08C-442F-BBD2-2895475F5523.jpeg
    96FC29EF-C08C-442F-BBD2-2895475F5523.jpeg
    558.1 KB · Views: 29

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I hope to make a whirlwind tour through So Cal this summer to hear @KeithR new YG with Ampzilla, catch a show (if there is one this year), and hopefully meet @Ron Resnick @Steve Williams @brencho et. al. If possible. While down there I definitely want to put Alma Audio on my list so @asiufy can demonstrate what the Bergmann with its linear tracker can do. This table has piqued my interest. I think @Vienna should look for an opportunity to hear it.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I hope to make a whirlwind tour through So Cal this summer to hear @KeithR new YG with Ampzilla, catch a show (if there is one this year), and hopefully meet @Ron Resnick @Steve Williams @brencho et. al. If possible. While down there I definitely want to put Alma Audio on my list so @asiufy can demonstrate what the Bergmann with its linear tracker can do. This table has piqued my interest. I think @Vienna should look for an opportunity to hear it.

I'm here when you are

Reactions: bazelio

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

You should be confused, 90% of the talk about turntable motors in audio is purely deceptive, hiding details and trying to confuse consumers to create an aura of mystery. The border between AC and DC motors is not a clear line since long. Some times the best technical choice is not the preferred one subjectively. Fortunately with the EMT 927 , the AirForce premium and the SME30 I knew exactly what I was getting. :)

Reactions: bazelio

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Kedar,

What cartridge was on the Odin?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I emailed him because he described the Brinkmann balance exactly because of why I like it. Imo it is quite superior to the likes of techdas AF1 premium, kronos, SME, Doehmann 1 etc, and only something like Vyger or some very rare tables, specially modded idlers or DDs, carefully set up by experts might beat it on a case by case basis. And tbh if a good linear tracker is set up on it it will be as good as any linear tracking table. Marc Gomez of SAT also had advised tang to buy it saying it is superior to some high priced tables.

A local friend who had Brinkmann Balance for a very long time, then Kuzma Reference for a few years, now has the Bergmann coming. I never preferred his Kuzma setup. He’s going to use the Airline, Thales, and Bergmann arms.

Reactions: bonzo75

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
It was difficult to make out since his tannoys were under run (he has them new and is going to try different amps) so the gain match wasn't the best. I preferred most the cheap avid with the SME arm and VDH colibri, but he has rotated them before and said what I was preferring is the arm cart combo, not the table. In his opinion the Bergmann was the better of all.

FRemer has reviewed the Brinkmann balance, the Bergmann Galder, and various others. I have emailed him over the stereophile site and he is quick to respond.

I confirm that Marc Gomez is fond of the Brinkmann Balance. The Balance / SAT combo is quite compelling. I am biased as it is my combo...

Regarding platforms, I can assure you that the Stacore Advance below the Brinkmann Balance makes a huge difference. You however need to ensure that your rack can sustain the sheer weight of this beast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stacore and bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A local friend who had Brinkmann Balance for a very long time, then Kuzma Reference for a few years, now has the Bergmann coming. I never preferred his Kuzma setup. He’s going to use the Airline, Thales, and Bergmann arms.

Nice, battle of the linear trackers

Reactions: KeithR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing