Decisions

Vienna

VIP/Donor
After many upgrades on my Avenger Reference (Si3N4 grade 3 bearing, sapphire thrust, calibrated epdm orings and belts, rim drive mass, Phoenix Engineering Eagle and Roadrunner) and a new Kuzma 4P with Kondo straight wiring to balanced Swiss Lemo connectors (what a sound revelation comparing to the VPI Mickey Mouse Tonearms ), I have managed to achieve a very good sound with measured vibrations below 0.07% and wow/flutter 0.05%.
however this trip has reached the end and is time to get into new for me waters.
I am ready to keep the Kuzma Tonearm and go for a new turntable . I have short listed the TW Acoustics black night, the Brinkmann balance with the extra power supply and HRS platform and a Kuzma XL DC.
I don’t like the idea of pneumatic systems of any manufacturer.
your opinion would be highly appreciated

Reactions: bazelio

Vienna

VIP/Donor

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Unfortunately pneumatics have a poor reputation due to a few anecdotal cases - the Fremer comment on water pouring from Forsell air tubing became famous in the 90's !

As always, it depends on the quality of the product. I have had and currently own several air bearing devices and never has any problems. IMHO the system should have a meter or a system to check pressure, mostly to re-assure the owner the pressure is correct. Silent compressors are not rocket science, dentists use them daily since long.

Reactions: Vienna and Lagonda

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Vienna, I have followed your Avenger "experiment" on the VPI forums. As a former Avenger owner, I am surprised you lasted this long. I can't comment on all the tables but a good audio friend has the TW Black Night, I believe with all options including the battery power supply. Top notch table, in terms of build quality. He uses the 4point14 with the Opus1. Great sound. The MFG is willing to work with you to upgrade along the way. The last upgrade on the table had a small issue relating to the supplied hardware with one of the upgrades, we made a trip to Home Depot to pick up different length bolts. All-in-all I would recommend it but haven't done a side by side with the others you mentioned.

Reactions: Vienna

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Vienna, I have followed your Avenger "experiment" on the VPI forums. As a former Avenger owner, I am surprised you lasted this long. I can't comment on all the tables but a good audio friend has the TW Black Night, I believe with all options including the battery power supply. Top notch table, in terms of build quality. He uses the 4point14 with the Opus1. Great sound. The MFG is willing to work with you to upgrade along the way. The last upgrade on the table had a small issue relating to the supplied hardware with one of the upgrades, we made a trip to Home Depot to pick up different length bolts. All-in-all I would recommend it but haven't done a side by side with the others you mentioned.

Hi Advance
Tw Acoustics Black Night was the first in my list and had spoken with Thomas many times on the phone. The only problem was the footprint. it’s almost like accommodating two turntables. I liked his bearing realization as well as his platter.

in regards with the Avenger, I have spent many hours, efforts and money for which I don’t regret, because through this process I have learnt amazing things for the turntables and how different materials are affecting the sound. the Most of my turntable parts were machined from scratch with quality materials and tight tolerances.

in my opinion the Avenger is only of the few platforms that you can change so many things from the bearing to the thrust pads etc.
right now the specific avenger is producing an amazing sound for which I feel very proud as I made it by myself.

the only problem; and this is the only reason that I want to replace it, is Harry and Mat, they are so cheap and little to run a company and be at position to look at their clients face. they are surrounded by cheerleaders and got so sick with their lies, their ignorance, and their Efforts to deceive people that I cannot stand to have this brand in my life anymore despite the fact that I like my turntable’s current performance.
I got so sick to read from Harry that he will put in production a 14” Tonearm with zero offset and two null points and so much more BS that is disgusting

this is the only reason that I want to replace my beloved turntable

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
.........the Brinkmann balance with the extra power supply and HRS platform ........

I think I heard a similar setup at my local Hi-End shop a couple of years ago when the rep was there.

I didn't know a turntable could sound like that, what I mean is there was no tell tale signs there was even a turntable playing, only music and it was pure and big, although not quite as immense as Reel to Reel.

If you can afford it, go for it.

I don't see how you could ever be dissatisfied.

However you do sound rather demanding, no offense intended.

Discriminating is perhaps the better adjactive.

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI
Vienna,
Just throwing this out there... how about the new AMG Viella Forte turntable?
I haven't heard it yet that will happen next week Thursday.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Vienna,
Just throwing this out there... how about the new AMG Viella Forte turntable?
I haven't heard it yet that will happen next week Thursday.
Please let me know on your listening experience

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I think I heard a similar setup at my local Hi-End shop a couple of years ago when the rep was there.

I didn't know a turntable could sound like that, what I mean is there was no tell tale signs there was even a turntable playing, only music and it was pure and big, although not quite as immense as Reel to Reel.

If you can afford it, go for it.

I don't see how you could ever be dissatisfied.

However you do sound rather demanding, no offense intended.

Discriminating is perhaps the better adjactive.
Hi George
i like the engineering behind Brinkmann Balance and the fact that the same design is still in production after so many years

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Primary control?

http://primarycontrol.nl/Kinea_turntable.html

The owner is a genuinely high quality person.Very much from the "tallest poppy" mindset.

The torque settings and the speed accuracy really appeal to me.

My own unit,thank you Mr. Brewster,should be here within a month or so and I plan to put a Glanz -MH 124 on it.

Best of luck either way,G.
Bernd is one of the good ones. I spent a lovely morning at his workshop a few years ago. The Kinea is very good.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And the guy who sold Mike the CS port doesn't like DC motors, and after listening to kuzma, Doehmann, I can see why.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My hierarchy would be brinkmann balance, Vyger, and based on Mike and Mik's reco, CS port.

If you really really wanted a linear tracker you could put one in a brinkmann.

The other advantage of unsuspended big tables is that record weights from Dalby and shun Mook make an enormous difference that really improves sound, while they degrade as sound in tables with suspension. And yes, I am saying to compare an unsuspended table to a suspended one you should have a record clamp/weight with you

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Since you're in Europe, do look up the Bergmann turntables. The Galder is a fantastic table, and priced very reasonably (given its performance level).

Reactions: hogen and Vienna

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Galder yesterday in Oslo, with Allaerts finish gold on linear tracker, SPU Royale on the Schick, dynavector xv-1s on the kuzma 4p, and accuphase c27 and Allnic 1500 phono updated with original WE tubes

4CF859ED-4C57-4DEB-A43A-83389F5C872E.jpeg
4B021D30-363C-499B-9D49-24A98E4510D6.jpeg
3DB4B20C-411A-4CFF-BD81-A1312D3D1FC1.jpeg

19D8DF96-BC13-4AAA-BA5F-1D8E428D2CD8.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing