DCS Vivaldi

My dealer and I installed the Vivaldi 2.0 software on my dac last night. Whoa...it's not subtle.

A lot more information getting to your ears. In a relaxed but at the same time having more energy. It's clearly a significant advance. It also offers more choices in how you like it to sound. I'll need a bit of time before I settle down on which mapper I prefer best (3 choices 2 new, 1 original) and a new DSD filter (#5). Right now listening to mapper #1 and dsd f5 and it's sweet. More involving, more energy, things in their space more and more organic/fleshed out. More layering. etc etc etc...not sure I'll go back to the original mapper, the new ones just seem better right away.

I'm very happy...and it was killer good before ! Love how you can buy something and they improve it over time!

Congratulations, John. More improvements. Your enthusiasm reminds me of someone who just got a new cartridge to play with. The different digital filters reminds me a bit of the different flavors people can try when they have 3-4 different cartridges on different arms. Life is great!

I have only had brief exposure to the Vivaldi and Rossini gear. It is the best digital that I have heard, by quite a margin. If I had more digital music, I would be quite tempted to try them in my system.

My dealer and I installed the Vivaldi 2.0 software on my dac last night. Whoa...it's not subtle.

A lot more information getting to your ears. In a relaxed but at the same time having more energy. It's clearly a significant advance. It also offers more choices in how you like it to sound. I'll need a bit of time before I settle down on which mapper I prefer best (3 choices 2 new, 1 original) and a new DSD filter (#5). Right now listening to mapper #1 and dsd f5 and it's sweet. More involving, more energy, things in their space more and more organic/fleshed out. More layering. etc etc etc...not sure I'll go back to the original mapper, the new ones just seem better right away.

I'm very happy...and it was killer good before ! Love how you can buy something and they improve it over time!

+1

I updated my DAC earlier this week. Similar experience. MAP2 is the original algorithm. I am currently using MAP1 for DXD feed from upsampler. Will try to eventually move to MAP3 after I get a feel for current setting. I have a Rossini in the,study and also hope to try some comparisons after I break it in a little longer. Both units bring me into the music and are some of the best digital I have heard

+1

I updated my DAC earlier this week. Similar experience. MAP2 is the original algorithm. I am currently using MAP1 for DXD feed from upsampler. Will try to eventually move to MAP3 after I get a feel for current setting. I have a Rossini in the,study and also hope to try some comparisons after I break it in a little longer. Both units bring me into the music and are some of the best digital I have heard

I look forward to your considerations Enatai242, I am most curious as to how much further the Vivaldi may have stretched away from the Rossini ?

Since this is a "press release" meant for the public... I thought it ok to post here...

PRESS RELEASE
for immediate attention media@dcsltd.co.uk
31st March 2016 Cambridge, UK

dCS LAUNCHES NEW FLAGSHIP VIVALDI 2.0 SYSTEM

dCS announces its new Vivaldi 2.0 series – bringing a comprehensive package of improvements to what many regard as the best digital music source in the world.

The original Vivaldi was launched in late-2012 to widespread critical acclaim. Music industry professionals and audiophiles alike declared it to be the finest sounding digital front end on sale.

Comprising the Vivaldi Transport, Vivaldi DAC, Vivaldi Upsampler, and Vivaldi Master Clock, this cost- no-object flagship system pushed the boundaries of what was then possible with digital replay. Vivaldi processed practically every digital format and offered a vast array of input and output configurations. At its heart was a new generation of the dCS Ring DACTM, a unique, bespoke-designed digital-to- analogue converter that offered superlative sound quality and technical performance.

As with every dCS product, subsequent firmware updates have improved Vivaldi’s functionality and performance since its introduction. Now though, dCS has made a number of landmark hardware and software improvements to the system, warranting the 2.0 suffix. The changes are designed to make Vivaldi even easier to use, more flexible, and even better sounding.

The improvements 2.0 comprise include double-speed DSD upsampling in the Transport, while the DAC gets additional gain settings, a new mapping algorithm, and a new DSD filter. The Vivaldi Upsampler adds the option for double-speed DSD upsampling and a new, galvanically-isolated Network and USB interface board that improves performance and adds support for TIDAL, Airplay, Spotify Connect, plus a new control and music playback App.

The new mapping algorithm (mapper) is a milestone in the development of the dCS Ring DACTM, which forms the heart of the Vivaldi DAC. Taking over a year to model and implement in software, the new mapper greatly improves on the very technology that makes dCS unique. The 5-bit binary music data obtained after the oversampling and digital filtering stages is assigned, or mapped, onto forty- eight latch outputs at the core of the Ring DACTM. These outputs drive balanced current sources which are mixed, filtered, and amplified to produce the analogue output signal. The new mapping algorithm has been developed to run at higher speeds while better avoiding mismatches that occur between outputs, further reducing any errors correlated with the signal. The results are superior linearity, even at very low signal levels.

This sophisticated mapper functionality is implemented in the Vivaldi Ring DACTM through dedicated FPGAs, offering dCS the power to improve and change these fundamental algorithms through software updates. This unprecedented flexibility also allows the user to choose their desired mapper from a simple menu item. Version 2.00 software allows for two new mappers, together with the original for comparison. Subjectively, both new mappers bring more detailed, expressive, tonally-complete, and full-bodied character over the original, but each offer subtle differences in sound that users can choose between, depending on their preference and ancillary equipment.

The new, highly optimised DSD filter fitted to the new Vivaldi DAC was created to provide better impulse response than previous DSD filters and has virtually no ringing. High frequency noise has also been better suppressed outside the audio band to be more universally amplifier friendly. These improvements manifest themselves in a more dynamic and dimensional sound across the entire audio band.

Vivaldi Upsampler’s new network interface board and control App lets listeners manage their music playback experience from virtually any source – whether CD/SACD, iRadio, USB, traditional digital, streaming services, or UPnP - in an elegantly simple way, and all from one control point. It has built-in TIDAL, Airplay, and Spotify Connect functionality and is firmware-upgradeable to accommodate future music services. The new, galvanically-isolated Network and USB interface that comprises part of the Upsampler upgrade results in a quieter, more natural sound while using these inputs.

Vivaldi DAC and Transport owners can update to version 2.0 by requesting software update discs from their authorized dCS retailer. Vivaldi Upsampler owners wishing to upgrade to Upsampler to version 2.0 will need to arrange for their unit to be sent to an authorized dCS service center to perform the hardware and software upgrade. Please contact a dCS retailer or dCS Americas for more information and upgrade pricing.

Once the new version 2.0 software has been installed, as with all dCS products Vivaldi’s software and network firmware can be easily updated in the future- via CD, USB, or with new internet download and update functionality- to add new features and to improve performance over its lifetime.

Availability:
Vivaldi Transport and DAC - April 2016 Vivaldi Upsampler - May 2016

Summary:
• Vivaldi is dCS’ flagship digital playback system, widely regarded as the best in the world
• The new dCS Vivaldi 2.0 range is a major step-change in technical and sonic performance
• Vivaldi Transport gets 2x DSD upsampling
• Vivaldi DAC gets a new Ring DAC mappers, improved clocking, and a new DSD filter
• Vivaldi Upsampler gets new, isolated Network and USB hardware, new Playback and Control App, 2x DSD upsampling
• Vivaldi plays music from virtually any digital source and is compatible with nearly all formats
• Designed and built in the United Kingdom with superlative, cost-no-object quality and finish
• Vivaldi is firmware-upgradeable for future functionality and performance upgrades
• Prices: Vivaldi Transport ($41,999), Vivaldi DAC ($35,999), Vivaldi Upsampler Plus ($21,999), Vivaldi Master Clock ($14,999)

About dCS

Since 1987 dCS has been at the forefront of digital audio, creating world-beating, life-enhancing products that are a unique synthesis of exact science and creative imagination. Each of our award-winning product ranges sets the standard within its class for technical excellence and musical performance. As a result, dCS digital playback systems are unrivalled in their ability to make music.

All dCS products are designed and manufactured in the United Kingdom using proprietary technology, and materials and components of the highest quality. A carefully judged balance of our unique heritage and world- class engineering ensures there is a rich history of ground-breaking innovation inside every dCS system.

Copyright © 2016 Data Conversion Systems Limited. All rights reserved. dCS, dCS logo, Ring DAC are trademarks or registered trademarks of Data Conversion Systems Limited. Data Conversion Systems Limited disclaims any proprietary interest in trademarks and trade names other than its own. All specifications are subject to change and, whilst they are checked for accuracy, no liabilities can be accepted for errors or omissions.

Congratulations, John. More improvements. Your enthusiasm reminds me of someone who just got a new cartridge to play with. The different digital filters reminds me a bit of the different flavors people can try when they have 3-4 different cartridges on different arms. Life is great!

I have only had brief exposure to the Vivaldi and Rossini gear. It is the best digital that I have heard, by quite a margin. If I had more digital music, I would be quite tempted to try them in my system.

Hi Peter, I agree on the filters vs cartridges comparison. I know you carefully adjust VTA on most records...The filters can have the same tailoring effect of the sound...

I am truly impressed with this v2 DAC software. To the point, I think you'd be surprised if you went back and listened to a Vivaldi that has it. Since they have the original mapper and two new ones meno selectable..pretty easy to switch back and forth. However, if you listen the original mapper to start, you'll hear a change on the very first musical note...then all the others.

In the end, it's all about the software as you say, I've found a lot I enjoy on digital that wasn't available on vinyl. Still sticking to jazz and light classical for the most part.

Hope all is well in the NE !

Congratulations, John and Enatai on the upgrade!

It is thrilling to hear that when you have dCS gear your sound can improve in the future without hardware change.

After my exposure to the dCS Rossini DAC I know that the dCS Rossini Player is the upgrade in CD playback from my current combo that I want to have in the hopefully not too distant future. It left such an impression on me that I do not even contemplate anymore gear from other manufacturers.

Hello,
I am new on this nice forum.
I have Vivaldi DAC with old software 1.01.
New version is 2.0,but none of the local dealers have it.
Any chance that somebody can upload version 2 of the software. (Maybe Jrech)
Thank you
Paul

As the latest firmware updates enabled DSD 256 up sampling in the Transport and DAC I was curious as to the future feasibility of Quad DSD with the current hardware build of both units.

I was informed that at such time deemed appropriate ( availability of material ) the hardware installed in both Transport and DAC had considerable headroom built in as standard and that come that time
Implementation of Quad DSD can be achieved via a firmware update ala the latest V2.0 install.

I am not in a position to comment on the processing power required of the latest upgrade to 256 however I was advised a while back that the previous 128 DSD format was running Transport and DAC at a minimum of available processing power.

Even more to come for Vivaldi owners it would seem.

Hello,
I am new on this nice forum.
I have Vivaldi DAC with old software 1.01.
New version is 2.0,but none of the local dealers have it.
Any chance that somebody can upload version 2 of the software. (Maybe Jrech)
Thank you
Paul

Hi Paul, I don't think we're supposed to do this. Your dealer or dCS should happily provide it. If it happens to be a used unit, they may charge something (I really don't know). Maybe a simple to email to dCS will get this going for you?

Thank you
I have attended DCS USA presentation yesterday evening (great) and everything was solved.
I am working on setting up filters etc.

Thank you
I have attended DCS USA presentation yesterday evening (great) and everything was solved.
I am working on setting up filters etc.

Very good to hear, let us know what you think ! After 2 weeks of listening the v2.0 software, I think it's frankly remarkable what dCS has accomplished. Every file, CD, or SACD that I listen from my library is like a new adventure. I mostly listen to Mapper 1 and DSD F5. I've spent time with Mapper 3 and DXD also...

Sirs, I was invited to attend an exclusive event introducing Vivaldi 2.0 next week. I will try to take some pictures (if possible) then let you know how the dcs 2.0 sounds. Actually I listened to the original version several times before but in absolutely different systems, so not sure I can capture the differences made with the 2.0 version. Anyway I will try best to give you some initial thoughts about the overall performance of this superb system.

Sirs, I was invited to attend an exclusive event introducing Vivaldi 2.0 next week. I will try to take some pictures (if possible) then let you know how the dcs 2.0 sounds. Actually I listened to the original version several times before but in absolutely different systems, so not sure I can capture the differences made with the 2.0 version. Anyway I will try best to give you some initial thoughts about the overall performance of this superb system.

Great to hear! Thanks.

You can still go back to the old software mapper and filters. It's a menu option(s). So will be very easy to compare...you won't have to strain to hear the difference :)

Good luck, curious to read about your impressions

I spent some time listening to it at Munich
It sounded tremendously good with no detectable digital artefacts- the analogue like quality was really impressive.
I can imagine how good it must sound in a home environment without any of the show environment problems.

I spent some time listening to it at Munich
It sounded tremendously good with no detectable digital artefacts- the analogue like quality was really impressive.
I can imagine how good it must sound in a home environment without any of the show environment problems.

Did you listen to the combo (including the CD transport) or to files going through the computer?

Both and they were both equally good but a longer listening session is probably needed to assess whether one is better than the other.
I picked up for 1 euro each two TAS Sound Reference CDs and we played three classical tracks off one of them. They all sounded excellent even if they were a bit below the best quality currently available.
That demo and the new Tidal Akira were my two standout sessions.

A lot more information getting to your ears. In a relaxed but at the same time having more energy. It's clearly a significant advance. It also offers more choices in how you like it to sound. I'll need a bit of time before I settle down on which mapper I prefer best (3 choices 2 new, 1 original) and a new DSD filter (#5). Right now listening to mapper #1 and dsd f5 and it's sweet. More involving, more energy, things in their space more and more organic/fleshed out. More layering. etc etc etc...not sure I'll go back to the original mapper, the new ones just seem better right away."

+1, had mine installed just the other day and it seems that DCS has taken a great sounding digital to a different level of reproduction. really is stunning and must be heard to appreciate.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing