Feb 26, 2014
London
What about opportunity cost :p - sorry didn't meant to gatecrash the party

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Rodney. The cost per hour for the system is fine to me. With that said, the cost per hour of gear gone through to achieve the caliber of system that I currently have as well as the system? I don't even want to know that cost per hour. I might not recover from the shock.

Tom

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I initially went a different route to try and rationalize my audio [and video] expenses. What I finally decided is that there is no "real" justification other than the fact that (a) I enjoy the hobby (b) I enjoy the chase [for whatever it is I think I'm chasing], (c) I enjoy the gear (d) and I REALLY enjoy listening to music and/or watching movies.

I have no doubt that over the last 50 years I have spent well in excess of what a reasonable home sells for. Justification? Seriously? I just wanted to, could afford it (most of the time), and did it.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Yeh, If I had to monetise the gear I have gone thru...aaarrgh

But I also told my wife that I am merely lending money to the system.. basically , buying carefully and not taking huge losses.. at the end of it all she can get what I paid for it..so that's some consolation..

I so enjoy the sound of my system.. that actually putting a value to it is crass.. I enjoy the music , the gear, the chase , the room and so on..

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've never had to rationalize the cost as I've never bought anything I couldn't afford to pay cash for at the time. I came close last year when I thought about financing an Oracle Delphi Mk VI with all of the bells and whistles. I hemmed and hawed over it for some time, but decided that my previous ways of not indebting myself on a hobby would be the wisest thing.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hello, Rodney. The cost per hour for the system is fine to me. With that said, the cost per hour of gear gone through to achieve the caliber of system that I currently have as well as the system? I don't even want to know that cost per hour. I might not recover from the shock.

Tom

I didn't go through so much gear. My speakers and amps were only upgraded over 24 years, not replaced. My power conditioner didn't change in 23 years either, it only was preceded by a few power cables that I don't have anymore. My analog cables also changed only once, 22 years ago. The more significant turnover was at the source front. I went through three CD transports (one was only replaced because it died) and two DACs before the current set-up -- still much less swapping than most audiophiles would have performed. The other upgrades were a subwoofer and acoustic room treatment. My sound is now incomparably better than 24 years ago, but I estimate to only have gone through now obsolete gear worth 40 % of my current system (which includes room treatment), before finalizing this system. Even if I count my previous headphone rig, before I had speakers, the total gear cost cannot have been more than 60 % of my current system.

Of course, at the pace many audiophiles upgrade, they may have gone through 300-500 % worth the money of their current system.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Yes... the cost of the music..2000 cds 1000 lps ..
Now for $19.95 a month you can get 95% of what you want or had , lossless on tidal.
No lp magic in the modern era of streaming tho

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I guess it depends on what you like. I know some who are into general aviation, and I consider that a money pit. I could have bought a nice plane in place of the stereo and HT, but, as with most GA, only fly it a few hours a month. At least with the stereo I can listen to it 24/7 for only the cost of electricity (at night since I added solar).

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I recently sold a piece of equipment and noted that it had cost me $2 a day to own it, but I have never tried to calculate the cost of my hobby on an hourly basis.

I don't think I want to, it would be depressing.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Assuming a system cost of $100k
Assuming 2 hours a day listening
amortised over 5 years = 3600 hours
$28 an hour
BUT you can get at least 1/2 back for your stuff after 5 years
So lets say $13.50 an hour

I listen to about 4-5 hours a day
My $ cost is $6 an hour....
IMO , its worth it for me...

Looked at another way, that is a cost of $10,000 per year, or $833 per month and assumes no upgrades and no music purchases. That is a pretty expensive system. There are others who spend this or much more just on annual system maintenance, or upgrades.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
To rationalize expenditures on a hobby is cutting into its enjoyment, and if that is what one does, then the hobby has become an obstacle. Time to change hobbies perhaps.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Okay, first you must turn in your audiophile card John. You willing to give that up? Hold on a minute. You are for the most part done. Why would you, of all people, want to change hobbies?

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Okay, first you must turn in your audiophile card John. You willing to give that up? Hold on a minute. You are for the most part done. Why would you, of all people, want to change hobbies?

Tom

My mistake...I should have used a "?" at the end of that last sentence. :eek:

taters

Jun 6, 2012
Assuming a system cost of $100k
Assuming 2 hours a day listening
amortised over 5 years = 3600 hours
$28 an hour
BUT you can get at least 1/2 back for your stuff after 5 years
So lets say $13.50 an hour

I listen to about 4-5 hours a day
My $ cost is $6 an hour....
IMO , its worth it for me...

I don't think most people that buy the really high-end gear care about how much it cost per hour. I think that is the farthest thing from their mind.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing