Contributors' systems - why so little info?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What anyone says, there's real pride in ownership. We like to make our opinions known. And we feel we have a hobby that really gives back to us. And at least a few of us are show offs, in the best meaning of the term. So it makes perfect sense to broadcast the system and components that mean most to us. That's why I really scratch my head that prob over half of people here keep their preferences to themselves.
Personally I love to see where people have ended up, or are going, and yes it does give some perspective as to the opinions and replies that we all make.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Personally, I feel that the best way to do things is to not only list your gear in your Signature line but to greate a blog of your own system describing what you did along the way

I put this as a link in my signature line

Steve Williams

Personally, I feel that the best way to do things is to not only list your gear in your Signature line but to greate a blog of your own system describing what you did along the way

The other place to list your gear and have it show up in your profile is again to go your settings, click "edit profile" and then to scroll down and at the bottom you will also see The Place To List Your Gear

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

I agree 100% Steve!

We are here for one reason basically...that is our love and fascination with and of audio. It seems that posting one's gear is then a sort of courtesy. How can we talk/communicate when we are in the dark? I posted my system, not for bragging rights (LOLOLOL), but to let people know where I am in this journey. Regardless of what rung on the ladder we are, we are all audiophiles. We love the hobby and love to learn. And I've learned a lot. Maybe some have even learned from me.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I will add what I can to my list . I have my big rig in NC. All that stuff is 25 years old or more. Great stuff for the time
But now are antiques . It's really old KRELL stuff .

Al

Steve Williams

I agree 100% Steve!

We are here for one reason basically...that is our love and fascination with and of audio. It seems that posting one's gear is then a sort of courtesy. How can we talk/communicate when we are in the dark? I posted my system, not for bragging rights (LOLOLOL), but to let people know where I am in this journey. Regardless of what rung on the ladder we are, we are all audiophiles. We love the hobby and love to learn. And I've learned a lot. Maybe some have even learned from me.

IMO it is not about bragging rights but rather a blog gives a systematic running update of an individual's system. I find that reading these gives me a better understanding of each individual's journey

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
IMO it is not about bragging rights but rather a blog gives a systematic running update of an individual's system. I find that reading these gives me a better understanding of each individual's journey

Or it serves as a reference source for members who might be contemplating buying the same component. For instance I'm thinking about buying Nordost cables and I see Steve's using model I'm thinking about. So I drop Steve asking for his thoughts on the Nordost and/or what other cables he might have sampled.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Or it serves as a reference source for members who might be contemplating buying the same component. For instance I'm thinking about buying Nordost cables and I see Steve's using model I'm thinking about. So I drop Steve asking for his thoughts on the Nordost and/or what other cables he might have sampled.
Sounds like Steve might be getting rid of his ;)

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I will add what I can to my list . I have my big rig in NC. All that stuff is 25 years old or more. Great stuff for the time
But now are antiques . It's really old KRELL stuff .

Al

Don't apologize for the old equipment. My Krell KSA 400s, Melos Gold 400s and CJ Premier One are very competitive with today's super products.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I never realized that by posting one's system, whether in a sig or a dedicated thread, would result in such deep thought. Sorry Caesar, but it all sounds a little excessive to me. Also, there is nothing egotistical about a dedicated thread at all, but you are entitled to that viewpoint and I can certainly respect that. :)

Johnny V.,

I don't mean to imply that people who post their systems or run long, long threads about their systems are egotists. I'm just saying it's not for me. People are spending good money today for excellently functional, attractive, and desirable objects that their friends are unlikely ever to see. Take toilet brushes, for example. Who flaunts their toilet brushes? Yet you can get a Philip Starck-designed $50 toilet brush or another designer’s $250 brush. Things are meaningful and valuable to us for its own sake.

And status seeking is not always the main motive for consumption. I think it’s one of the reasons the hobby is struggling. You can get a pair of MBL amps, which are big boxes sitting on your floor and collecting dust, or you can get a Maserati convertible to drive your family around - for the same price. Many will choose the latter. Yet, people are different. Some want to flaunt and others don’t. And there's nothing wrong with either. I don't choose to flaunt because the pleasure I receive from my system is intrinsically desirable.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
So basically you are saying that even though we know nothing about your system or listening priorities we should pay attention to your opinions about the sound of other components or systems?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
As the originator of the thread, I'm even more amazed that it's generated so many replies, and quite opinionated comments at that, esp. from those who actively won't post their system details. I totally respect those who won't, and don't feel those who won't can't pass opinions, but maintain that those opinions are given a reference point for others to understand by the fixed point of a contributor's system.
May I ask of you guys/gals who won't post details actively, other than the theoretical philisophical pov of not revealing info (privacy, freedom of info, shyness?), what is the practical reticence not to? Is it that your views want to purely be taken at their own merit with no reference to anything, or is it more that you feel replies may be biased against you more if an antagonistic view knows more about you?
My reason to wish to see details is really to see the interesting jumps and left field choices that people have made. So while I love to read about eg Wilson/Pass/Esoteric type combos, I also love to see people who've come up with eg SET/vintage tt/horn setups.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Myles,

Although we can kow a lot from an audiophile preferences looking at his system, asking someone about a product he currently owns is usually a sure way of getting an over-enthusiastic positive opinion . If you ever consider Audio Research please email me, if I ever consider changing to cj I know who I will email ... ;)

caesar

May 30, 2010
So basically you are saying that even though we know nothing about your system or listening priorities we should pay attention to your opinions about the sound of other components or systems?

What I am saying is what I said in post #42 and you need to really know where a person is coming from holistically...

"Some other questions to consider:
- What is your system progression
- How long have it and your previous systems? How long for each component?
- What other components did you try and reject? Are you adventurous in trying gear in your system, or do you follow the hoard?
- Whose advice do you seek in trying out new gear? Who do you trust? Anyone at all?
- How frequently do you listen to live music? In what venues?
- What music do you listen to?
- Do you keep stats? How much variety to your listening? Or do you have Norah or Diana on repeat?
- Do you listen to music in other places? Headphones? Car? XM?
- How's your room?
- How anal are you about setup? Tweaking?
- ….
Basically, IMHO, all audiophiles are strange. Personally, I want to see videos of them lying on Freud’s couch. That way I will really start to understand them. :)"

You can get minimal information from their system. And although you can learn a lot of interesting things from continuous conversations, you really need to know what makes them tick to trust them.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Caesar, +1 re audiophiles on the therapist's couch. A new tv program that could run on HBO for a few seasons. Could have called it "Mad Men" if that name hadn't already been taken!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

my journey goes from 3 star Michelin restaurant in France to a taco truck in east L.A. and everywhere in between. I have 60 trades on agon last year alone which should give you an idea of the gear that went thru my system in '13; at least 4 TTs, 7 phono stages, 8 carts, 4 DACs, 7-prs of speakers...you get the picture. I'll give a cursory list of my system at this moment in time but it wouldnt tell you much and it expires next week ;) (see sig). i put more credence in posts by the vets and reviewers that are experienced and have been in the hobby a long time and less the short timers even those with systems valued in the stratosphere.

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I think you make some good points regarding opinions and there systems . I agree with that . But it too has flaws someone could be a recording eng and not want to own a home or office system . Now that person could contribute much to the whole of the hobby.
With all the stuff I have about 200 k worth I do not consider myself an audiophile . I have degrees but not related to this Area of expertise . Another word I do not like is this hobby. Anyone who Perseus endless reading and desires Like we do . We can't call this a hobby. It's a life long passion . I used to race cars , is that a hobby. I actually died in one at least for about a minute or so. That's not a hobby either. Now I do race and fly RC cars and helicopters . Some really big ones. Now that is a hobby . I do not think we are strange and most will never see our systems . But most here are willing to share our knowledge and I for one do share my systems with other interested parties. As for who knows and who does not . Well that comes to light with more reading .
And where else can you show or say your buying speakers for 100k. No where !!
Al

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny

You shouldn't pay any attention to anyones opinion unless you have face time with them preferably listening to music together. Just because some guy has a "killer" system doesn't mean he knows what he's doing. The installer may have but the owner could be deaf as a tree stump. List of equipment doesn't tell you anything. It's how it's set-up in his room that matters. All this Internet banter is basically useless. You have no idea who you are talking too without face time.

You need a frame of reference. You are not going to get that from a few posts or an equipment list.

Rob:)

Last edited:

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
What I am saying is what I said in post #42 and you need to really know where a person is coming from holistically...

- What other components did you try and reject? Are you adventurous in trying gear in your system, or do you follow the hoard?
- Whose advice do you seek in trying out new gear? Who do you trust? Anyone at all?
- Do you keep stats? How much variety to your listening? Or do you have Norah or Diana on repeat?
- How's your room?
- ….
Basically, IMHO, all audiophiles are strange. Personally, I want to see videos of them lying on Freud’s couch. That way I will really start to understand them. :)"

You can get minimal information from their system. And although you can learn a lot of interesting things from continuous conversations, you really need to know what makes them tick to trust them.

Great post.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

- How's your room?
- ….

meaning no offense whatsoever, because the last few sentences make a lot of sense, but the rest of the post is meaningless to me. I do agree that over time one can get a sense of how one's own opinions mesh with others in many things audio, but I also think that knowing what others are listening to is a big part of that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing