Contributors' systems - why so little info?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Guys, I'm the one who originated this thread. And, tbh, I expected at best the moderator to tell me to mind my own business LOL!!! <snip>

Hello, spiritofmusic and good afternoon to you. While I can't speak for the other moderators, I personally think your thread and the awareness raised by it will only help to improve things here at the WBF. BTW...whether you are a new member here at the WBF or an established one, we would never tell you to mind your own business. The moderators here at the WBF hold ourselves to a higher standard than that.

A member's location is something I personally look at often. I listed my location in the hopes that I could possibly one day meet up with a member and get to know the person [and possibly listen to his/her rig and vice-versa] better than just a computer moniker along with casual conversations over the net. It has been my experience that getting to know the folks, whom you speak with on an almost nightly basis, in person always yields positive results and even greater friendships/lifelong friends with folks whom you would have not otherwise met.

I listed my gear the day I joined up at the WBF. I knew full well that there were systems here that cost well above mine, some that were assembled by industry professionals and some that have rooms filled with treatments by [sometimes multiple] acousticians all of the way down to simple computer rigs. I just kept in mind that no matter who you are and what rig you have, there is always going to be another rig out there better than yours. Perhaps if the members here who haven't posted what gear they have knew this and accepted it, they wouldn't be so hesitant to list said gear. Not everybody can have the Bugatti of audio sitting in their listening room and there are members from all over the world and from all walks of life frequenting this forum. So, if you are an active member here at the WBF and you haven't listed your gear, I politely urge you to do so.

So spiritofmusic, instead of a moderator telling you to mind your own business....how about one personally thanking you for creating the thread to begin with? ;)

Tom

caesar

May 30, 2010
I think seeing one’ system without context raises more questions than it answers. Some other questions to consider:
- What is your system progression
- How long have it and your previous systems? How long for each component?
- What other components did you try and reject? Are you adventurous in trying gear in your system, or do you follow the hoard?
- Whose advice do you seek in trying out new gear? Who do you trust? Anyone at all?
- How frequently do you listen to live music? In what venues?
- What music do you listen to?
- Do you keep stats? How much variety to your listening? Or do you have Norah or Diana on repeat?
- Do you listen to music in other places? Headphones? Car? XM?
- How's your room?
- How anal are you about setup? Tweaking?
- ….

But to answer your original question, I am too lazy to update my profile, and I am not egotistical enough to have my own system thread. The system is for my pleasure, and I don’t like to show it off. But since you ask, I have several systems: I have an MBL 101 system for rock, blues, jazz, and large scale classical. I have soundlabs for jazz, small scale, and vocals, and I have some B&W monitors for fun.

Basically, IMHO, all audiophiles are strange. Personally, I want to see videos of them lying on Freud’s couch. That way I will really start to understand them. :)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I agree with you 100% and wonder why everyone doesn't post the details of their system.

I always find it interesting when the biggest critic's of the subjective and sometimes objective notion of sound quality are always at the ready to challenge claims, make judgments, ect and never list any equipment they own to give one a baseline for evaluating the veracity of their opinion.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I always find it interesting when the biggest critic's of the subjective and sometimes objective notion of sound quality are always at the ready to challenge claims, make judgments, ect and never list any equipment they own to give one a baseline for evaluating the veracity of their opinion.

La verdad.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
What you guys want is biography. LOL. ok i just edited mine with my office rig. Where can i put all the other info you feel we should list.
Cesar where is your listing ????
Al

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tom, thanx for the thumbs up on my initiating the thread. It was just a little humour in my suggesting you might tell me off! It's good to hear that a few contributors who were reticent to list their rig have reconsidered. Definitely feel that seeing a breakdown gives an idea where opinions might be formed. Going to try and work out how to do my "signature".

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
No problem, spiritofmusic. If you happen to run into any issues or if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. We would be happy to help.

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think seeing one’ system without context raises more questions than it answers. Some other questions to consider:
- What other components did you try and reject? Are you adventurous in trying gear in your system, or do you follow the hoard?
- Whose advice do you seek in trying out new gear? Who do you trust? Anyone at all?
- Do you keep stats? How much variety to your listening? Or do you have Norah or Diana on repeat?
- How's your room?
- ….

But to answer your original question, I am too lazy to update my profile, and I am not egotistical enough to have my own system thread. The system is for my pleasure, and I don’t like to show it off. But since you ask, I have several systems: I have an MBL 101 system for rock, blues, jazz, and large scale classical. I have soundlabs for jazz, small scale, and vocals, and I have some B&W monitors for fun.

Basically, IMHO, all audiophiles are strange. Personally, I want to see videos of them lying on Freud’s couch. That way I will really start to understand them. :)

I never realized that by posting one's system, whether in a sig or a dedicated thread, would result in such deep thought. Sorry Caesar, but it all sounds a little excessive to me. Also, there is nothing egotistical about a dedicated thread at all, but you are entitled to that viewpoint and I can certainly respect that. :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

+1!

My equipment is listed with detail in the often changing "about" section, can some one tell me how to add a signature?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
<snip> Also, there is nothing egotistical about a dedicated thread at all, but you are entitled to that viewpoint and I can certainly respect that. :)
That is a good point, John. Take, for example, Steve's thread. It not only showcases his system but discusses the changes as well. Improving the system through discussion. Win, win situation if you ask me. Same thing with your system. You posted about it and you have gotten feedback from many members that has made your listening pleasure that much better.

Tom

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
+1!

My equipment is listed with detail in the often changing "about" section, can some one tell me how to add a signature?

go to your control panel, click "my settings", then click "edit signature"

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
- How's your room?
- ….

Caesar,
May be the next edition of "A History of Private Life" will include a section on audiophiles ... ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I note that some contributors have their signature replicated on each post automatically. How is this done - I've just completed mine, but only appears on my home page.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I note that some contributors have their signature replicated on each post automatically. How is this done - I've just completed mine, but only appears on my home page.

Can you not see it in your post above, because I can.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Can you not see it in your post above, because I can.

I agree. Successful implementation

I use a link to my system in my signature

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Spirit - signature looks good on your post.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I did it and it did not show for some time. When I was preparing a complain post :mad::), it has shown. Thanks, Steve!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
More info/pics is always nice
When a person shows his system its easier to put things in perspective , plus its entertaining , some people have very exquisite rooms/ systems

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Headphones are a good tool for me. But they have both virtues and issues as well. I have many top end headphones and amps. And they do portray music through dacs differently . For one thing they are like a microscope for music . They put you very close to the music making a dac seem very forward and it is not. It can do the same for dacs that are a bit laid back. Speakers are tops , then headphones and last is the CIEM,S.

Al

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing