Contemplating Reel to Reel

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Well, Wayne did bill my credit card for the outstanding balance for the machine. Andy, the tech finished the modification to the cards for operating the advancing, stopping, etc. of the transport and has shipped them back to Wayne. Next week is a short week due to the Labor Day Holiday, so Wayne will receive the cards sometime next week. Depending upon when will determine the time running the last of the checks to the Ampex, packaging, and shipment. So, it is possible that the machine may be done and shipped next week. However, and if is not and it would not be delivered by September 20 (because I will be in Florida from September 21 to September 28) it will have to have a scheduled delivery of September 29 or September 30. Very disappointing at this point that this is going to turn into a wait of close to 4, possibly more months to complete the project. :(

Roch

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Well, Wayne did bill my credit card for the outstanding balance for the machine. Andy, the tech finished the modification to the cards for operating the advancing, stopping, etc. of the transport and has shipped them back to Wayne. Next week is a short week due to the Labor Day Holiday, so Wayne will receive the cards sometime next week. Depending upon when will determine the time running the last of the checks to the Ampex, packaging, and shipment. So, it is possible that the machine may be done and shipped next week. However, and if is not and it would not be delivered by September 20 (because I will be in Florida from September 21 to September 28) it will have to have a scheduled delivery of September 29 or September 30. Very disappointing at this point that this is going to turn into a wait of close to 4, possibly more months to complete the project. :(

Rich

Hi Rich,

From my own experience ,numerous times,custom projects can have delays. Your delay is minor and it will be well worth the wait to have the machine properly setup and tested before it ships. I know it can be a anxious time,if it happens,good,but enjoy your vacation and you have something to look foward to when you return.

Roger

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Sometimes you have to wait for good things to happen. I waited over 4 months for Counterpoint to be upgraded the last time and then decided to take a beating on it and move it on down the road. My Technics plinth project took well over 3 months, but was well worth the wait as I now have the best table I have ever owned. The old saying that you can have quality or speed, but you can't have both holds true when you are dealing with the great techs of the world.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sometimes you have to wait for good things to happen. (...) .

I took delivery of a sealed Audio Research REF150 a few days ago. Even if I play it 24 over 24, I will not know how it really sounds until the end of the month ... :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I took delivery of a sealed Audio Research REF150 a few days ago. Even if I play it 24 over 24, I will not know how it really sounds until the end of the month ... :)

Ohhhhh....the agony...... :) Can't wait to hear your impressions.

What makes me crazy though are these new products with XLR/balanced only inputs. Know that one can convert but doesn't sound the same. So either you have a balanced pre or can't really use the amplifier :(

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I have not heard anything from Wayne regarding the cards returned from Andy (but Wayne had informed me that they were dropped off this past Saturday and shipped on Tuesday for delivery on either this past Thursday or yesterday). I presume that they arrived in good order. Hopefully the upgraded hybrid Ampex 440C/B will function as intended with Andy's modifications to the cards. But, since I have heard nothing from Wayne, my suspicion is that he has not completed all of the testing of the machine and packed everything for shipment. Monday is September 12 and I will be away from September 21 to September 28. The machine will be in 2 boxes and be shipped via FEDEX Ground (5 days shipping from Palm Springs to Breinigsville, PA). I presume, that unless there are additional problems, Wayne will arrange for delivery on either September 29 or September 30. That will be a bit over 4 months from order to receipt. But, that is a far cry for the order to completion and installation of my Teres Certus 450 TT and the Teres Illius Tonearm which took 10 months. My OMA New Yorker Prototype horn speakers took a little over 5 months from being on the drawing board to my delivery.

Rich

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Rich, I have this feeling that...

I have not heard anything from Wayne regarding the cards returned from Andy (but Wayne had informed me that they were dropped off this past Saturday and shipped on Tuesday for delivery on either this past Thursday or yesterday). I presume that they arrived in good order. Hopefully the upgraded hybrid Ampex 440C/B will function as intended with Andy's modifications to the cards. But, since I have heard nothing from Wayne, my suspicion is that he has not completed all of the testing of the machine and packed everything for shipment. Monday is September 12 and I will be away from September 21 to September 28. The machine will be in 2 boxes and be shipped via FEDEX Ground (5 days shipping from Palm Springs to Breinigsville, PA). I presume, that unless there are additional problems, Wayne will arrange for delivery on either September 29 or September 30. That will be a bit over 4 months from order to receipt. But, that is a far cry for the order to completion and installation of my Teres Certus 450 TT and the Teres Illius Tonearm which took 10 months. My OMA New Yorker Prototype horn speakers took a little over 5 months from being on the drawing board to my delivery.

Rich

it will all be worth it :p

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Wayne has shipped my upgraded hybrid Ampex 440C/B tape deck and it is scheduled to be delivered on Monday, October 3. I had hoped for a delivery on Friday, but the machine was shipped on Tuesday.

Rich

Well you're closer to the finish than the start now :)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Wayne has shipped my upgraded hybrid Ampex 440C/B tape deck and it is scheduled to be delivered on Monday, October 3. I had hoped for a delivery on Friday, but the machine was shipped on Tuesday.

Rich

Great Rich......tick....tick.....tick

I'm almost excited as you are.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
We're all happy for you, Rich :)

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Thanks Myles, Roger and Sam. Now I am starting to get excited. FEDEX lists the 2 boxes of parts weighing 110 pounds for the upgraded Ampex 440C/B R2R tape deck loaded on the truck ready for delivered on Monday, October 3. :D

I hope that everything will run smoothly assembling all of the parts and loading the machine into the Compact Case. I have to call Wayne after everything arrives so that he can provide me with some instruction for the assembly.

Rich

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA

Rich

The waiting is the hardest part...Hmm, where have I heard that before

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Thanks Myles, Roger and Sam. Now I am starting to get excited. FEDEX lists the 2 boxes of parts weighing 110 pounds for the upgraded Ampex 440C/B R2R tape deck loaded on the truck ready for delivered on Monday, October 3. :D

I hope that everything will run smoothly assembling all of the parts and loading the machine into the Compact Case. I have to call Wayne after everything arrives so that he can provide me with some instruction for the assembly.

Rich

Christmas comes early.........

Rich atleast tomorrow is football day.......are you a Eagles fan? If so we should make a little wager....

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Excellent, Rich

Rich

Sounds exciting:D

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
It is here and up and running.

Close-up photo of the rear of the upgraded hybrid Ampex 440C/B R2R tape deck in the compact case. In the photo you can see the installed IEC intlet near the upper left and the 2 installed RCA inputs in red below the IEC inlet. The RCA inputs bypass some of the circuitry and the record should sound better than stock:

Close-up photo of the rear of the upgraded hybrid Ampex 440C/B R2R tape deck in the compact case. In the photo you can see the RCA outputs in white which also bypass some of the circuitry and playback sounds better than stock:

Rich

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
And?????? Impressions??????

Look fantastic Rich! Congrats, and I'm glad the wait is over for you!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I'm biased but that looks beautiful Rich! Stunning photography and the classic look of the Ampex and Andrew's case fit's very well with the such a wonderful system you have. Congrats!!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Looks great and should give you many hours of pleasure! I'd keep that variac away from my tapes though! Those variacs really can put out a magnetic field.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing