Contemplating Reel to Reel

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The Reproduce cards are done!

I received the 1st pair of reproduce cards today and they are currently burning in on my Ampex 440.

They came up without a hitch and at first listen sound really good.

I called Rich and I explained some things that have changed during the course so far as this project progresses.

Fred my primary tech has been tied up with my 350 project a lot longer than he or I thought in time. Therefore I made the descision to change techs for this project. I enlisted a fine gentleman from Florida,Ocala to be exact to do the required work. His name is Chuck Ziska who is one of two Crown reel to reel experts in this country. Chuck is a recording engineer,a excellent technician and a absolute joy to work with. I am very pleased with the finished product and these projects can be a problem as it hard to find a capable person who shares your vision and goals,offers keen advice and works at such a high level. Chuck Ziska is a tech that posseses all these great qualities,I thank him for all his help in completing this project.

I will call Richard tonight and report my initial sonic impressions, but at first blush it seems very promising. I am excited!

Roger

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I logged about 10 hours on the cards today and tonight. At this point it is pretty apparent to me that although the original and RTZ cards are good,the Ampex Lundahl cards are better. The standard Ampex cards are famous for a tube like big sound. The RTZ are more neutral sounding with better clarity.transparency, and tonal balance to my ear,but they are a liitle lean sounding which is not a bad thing.

The Ampex Lundahl is a combination of both the Ampex and RTZ. The AL card has the classic Ampex sound with out the drawbacks of the Beyer transformer. A very euphonic sound with the benifits of the Lundahl Amorphous core transformer. To describe the upgrade simply I would say all the best qualities of a tube preamplifier and with the benifits of solid state.

The one recording that stood out was the Puccini,Pavorotti/Freni/Karajan La Boheme recording I played last tonight. I rarely have heard a SS deck be able to produce a Aura around the singers,where the music eminates from a being and you get the feeling that you can visualise the singers physical outline and movements. You have to have a lot going right for that to happen and I think it's more common with tubes than SS, now I know better. Will the sound get even better? My experience says yes.

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
My Dad walks into my office today,sits down and asks me what I did to the stereo? I said I updated the tape electronics,he answered...Hmmm

Richard, I think you will like the sound. I think it is absolutely beautiful. Gary will give a review in a few days.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
To describe the upgrade simply I would say all the best qualities of a tube preamplifier and with the benifits of solid state.

The modules look REALLY clean :D Congratulations...you're in a good place
:cool:

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Roger,

You appear to be extremely pleased not only with the appearance but also the performance of our new Ampex cards. I am quite excited about the prospect of the performance of my unit once it is completed with an anticipated delivery of the end of August.

Please keep me informed. I thought it interesting last evening that you suggested that you heard the musicians turning the sheet music during one of the recordings.

By the way, do the new cards exhibit the same kind of transparency and clarity as the RTZ cards?

Rich

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Roger,

You appear to be extremely pleased not only with the appearance but also the performance of our new Ampex cards. I am quite excited about the prospect of the performance of my unit once it is completed with an anticipated delivery of the end of August.

Could be sooner and yes I am very pleased!

Please keep me informed. I thought it interesting last evening that you suggested that you heard the musicians turning the sheet music during one of the recordings.

I will and the inner detail is quite noticeable to a uncommon degree. The most fascinating quality(s) are the ability to convey the recording venue and performer created ambience, The degree of tonal trueness, and a wonderfuly beautiful large,open and incredibly dynamic soundstage. the music seems to eminate out of thin air.

By the way, do the new cards exhibit the same kind of transparency and clarity as the RTZ cards?

See above. They to my ear are far and above better. what is the possible cause of this?? Maybe the Ampex circuit or the BG caps.(?)

Rich

Hi Rich

Will talk to you after the 4th and have a happy one.

Roger

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I have about 35 hours logged on the cards after tonight. They sill exhibit the qualities I mentioned the last time and I think the extra time logged has improved these. This is the best sound i have had in my system. I'll let Rich make his judgement as I don't want to hype his expectations, I don't think that would be fair. My goal was to better the original and RTZ cards and I have no doubt in my mind that has been done. The only thing Rich will have to compare to is his vinyl setup, this should be interesting. I expect things to stabilise at 100 hours and continually improve in nuance to 200 hours and maybe past that.

In my book this experiment is a success.

Rich, I think you will be very pleased.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I have about 35 hours logged on the cards after tonight. They sill exhibit the qualities I mentioned the last time and I think the extra time logged has improved these. This is the best sound i have had in my system. I'll let Rich make his judgement as I don't want to hype his expectations, I don't think that would be fair. My goal was to better the original and RTZ cards and I have no doubt in my mind that has been done. The only thing Rich will have to compare to is his vinyl setup, this should be interesting. I expect things to stabilise at 100 hours and continually improve in nuance to 200 hours and maybe past that.

In my book this experiment is a success.

Rich, I think you will be very pleased.

Hi Roger
Do you have a lot of fun and happiness after did something to your own machine or system with very good return ? I am sure you did, even spend big money to replace new equipments for up grade still won't have the same kind of feeling, either design a new circuit or just replace some parts for mods, just do it by your own hands you will get the highest happiness from result in final (failed not count )
talking compare to tape vs Lp, I did many times already, same press of both, (2 track 15 even 7.5 no need to compare ) 4 track in 7.5 = direct cut Lp in quality level, actually they belong to two different kind of sound,hard to say one over the other, tape sound soft with hiss, Lp sound harder feel that from scratch, but emotional both similar, if it is not direct cut I will take tapes, but not the 3.75 in speed. My vinyl system is not the really top level but with a lot of home made sound not too bad, but friends of mine who had invested big money to their vinyl system but after they stepped to the tape's world their TT stacked of dust and only thing they are doing is looking for more high quality master dubbing tapes, same thing will happen to you got a endless road, the best sound you have right now but you will find that is not true in future
tony ma

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Roger
Do you have a lot of fun and happiness after did something to your own machine or system with very good return ? I am sure you did, even spend big money to replace new equipments for up grade still won't have the same kind of feeling, either design a new circuit or just replace some parts for mods, just do it by your own hands you will get the highest happiness from result in final (failed not count )
talking compare to tape vs Lp, I did many times already, same press of both, (2 track 15 even 7.5 no need to compare ) 4 track in 7.5 = direct cut Lp in quality level, actually they belong to two different kind of sound,hard to say one over the other, tape sound soft with hiss, Lp sound harder feel that from scratch, but emotional both similar, if it is not direct cut I will take tapes, but not the 3.75 in speed. My vinyl system is not the really top level but with a lot of home made sound not too bad, but friends of mine who had invested big money to their vinyl system but after they stepped to the tape's world their TT stacked of dust and only thing they are doing is looking for more high quality master dubbing tapes, same thing will happen to you got a endless road, the best sound you have right now but you will find that is not true in future
tony ma

Hi Tony,

You are so right, I wish I had the ability to do what you do,but still it is extremely fun and gratifying to make these changes and have your ideas work so well. I do not have a TT setup that is up to the challenge. My digital setup was very good I thought until I did this upgrade. Now 4 track much much better and 2 track better still. The Digital / analog tape divide just got a whole lot wider! I possibly will have a master dub soon so i can hear the difference, between all these.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Tony,

I have to ask your opinion. Do you think the improvement in the sound between the Ampex/Lundahl/BG cards and the RTZ is the circuit or components? They use the same transformer with the same turns ratio.

Maybe a combo of both but the original Ampex signature is very apperent.

In your experience what is more important? Circuit?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Roger, Tony,

Great input and thanks for the update. Like Roger, I wish I had the ability to do these mods myself, but...

Roger,

I presume we have now given the go ahead to Chuck to proceed with both my reproduce and the record cards.

Rich

Hi Richard,

Chuck, has started on them and I could have them(reproduce) late this week or early next week. Could be optomistic,but Chuck has been really quick.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Tony,

I have to ask your opinion. Do you think the improvement in the sound between the Ampex/Lundahl/BG cards and the RTZ is the circuit or components? They use the same transformer with the same turns ratio.

Maybe a combo of both but the original Ampex signature is very apperent.

In your experience what is more important? Circuit?

Roger
All your cards sound different because they are not in exactly of same made caps or transformer in used In my experience, cap will give the bigger change, especially in SS circuit because they have more in coupling using, different material cap will have different sound, most coupling cap's big value has to use polarity's cap for the big capacity , audio signal is a AC signal, so I do believe non pol cap will sound better but hard to have in big capacity or must be in a huge size, direct couple circuit design can have no caps (no cap is best cap) always desire for better sound, + and - power supply to a PNP and NPN direct couple design can provide better sound in SS amp design but temperature will draft current and shift is the difficult point. my favor is tube circuit although they need coupling too but most can use transformer for the job (SS circuit also can use transformer too but too big in size compare to the rest of a SS circuit components) transformer also sound different in different made but less than cap the disadvantage of transformer is too big in size and cost or has to be custom make, so more modification you do will know more of components' characters and to your next project you can create your favorite sound.
tony ma

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Roger
All your cards sound different because they are not in exactly of same made caps or transformer in used In my experience, cap will give the bigger change, especially in SS circuit because they have more in coupling using, different material cap will have different sound, most coupling cap's big value has to use polarity's cap for the big capacity , audio signal is a AC signal, so I do believe non pol cap will sound better but hard to have in big capacity or must be in a huge size, direct couple circuit design can have no caps (no cap is best cap) always desire for better sound, + and - power supply to a PNP and NPN direct couple design can provide better sound in SS amp design but temperature will draft current and shift is the difficult point. my favor is tube circuit although they need coupling too but most can use transformer for the job (SS circuit also can use transformer too but too big in size compare to the rest of a SS circuit components) transformer also sound different in different made but less than cap the disadvantage of transformer is too big in size and cost or has to be custom make, so more modification you do will know more of components' characters and to your next project you can create your favorite sound.
tony ma

Thanks Tony!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
"That's a bit of a shame, Roger! In what specific ways would you say the digital has fallen behind, then?"

Frank

A friend, reminded me that a true ABX is needed. I agree,but when you have to have a roll of TP handy and turn down your subwoofer to almost off and the crossover down to 40hz from 80hz for fear of your well being,enough said.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I agree,but when you have to have a roll of TP handy and turn down your subwoofer to almost off and the crossover down to 40hz from 80hz for fear of your well being,enough said.
Sorry, TP doesn't ring bells, remember I'm in Oz! I guess you're saying bass is in very good shape, and you can wind the volume just that much higher and it still sounds good -- would I be right?

Frank

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
TP would be toilet paper in this case instead of the Tape Project.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing