CNBC: Why Millennials Are Buying More Vinyl Records

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim, yes, perhaps "all they really needed to do was sit down, shut up, and listen to entire albums." But they didn't. Perhaps, there is more to it and perhaps they think not particularly good systems and even worse tables sound better than their digital MP3s and ear buds. Yet you talked to them and they said they were into the sound. Why not just accept what they are telling you?

I think it is pretty exciting and vinyl sales figures don't lie. That is a measurement that can be taken to the bank.

Oh, I do, sort of. We all know vinyl sounds different, so if they really didn't like the sound of it, they wouldn't have made the investment to be able to play it. But I think the experience of actually listening trumps whatever difference there might be, and personally, I think the experience of a server, of putting everything in your collection at your fingertips is the best. I can listen to whole albums, I can make artist playlists, era playlists, genre playlists, playlists of new material I'm working on for the band...I can use Apple Music or Spotify to find many covers and arrangements of the same tune... I made a list recently of Steely Dan songs with my favorite guitar solos, so I could listen and compare the technique, phrasing and melodic structure of the playing of Larry Carlton with Skunk Baxter, with Walter Becker, with Denny Dias, etc. Pointless for many, but useful for me. The digital music experience is whatever you make of it and it is so easy it's almost effortless. But if some folks need the limitations of records to force themselves into a quality listening experience, I think they should get the records. Or some ADD meds. If they like the way their turntable sounds better, that's a bonus.

Tim

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Edorr- i'm not a millenial, but I talk to an awful lot of people about records. And some younger folks 'get' it, they may not have the bread for it (some do and spend it on fi as well as cars), but build just as we did when we were younger and didn't have the cash. Decent table that won't destroy the records, some knowledge of older, good sounding copies, etc. Not everybody wearing a flannel shirt is a lumbersexual. :) And sometimes a craft beer is still just a beer. :) :)

Dunno. I have yet to see the first millenial at an audio show or at a high-end dealer, drooling over TTs.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Oh, I do, sort of. We all know vinyl sounds different, so if they really didn't like the sound of it, they wouldn't have made the investment to be able to play it. But I think the experience of actually listening trumps whatever difference there might be, and personally, I think the experience of a server, of putting everything in your collection at your fingertips is the best. I can listen to whole albums, I can make artist playlists, era playlists, genre playlists, playlists of new material I'm working on for the band...I can use Apple Music or Spotify to find many covers and arrangements of the same tune... I made a list recently of Steely Dan songs with my favorite guitar solos, so I could listen and compare the technique, phrasing and melodic structure of the playing of Larry Carlton with Skunk Baxter, with Walter Becker, with Denny Dias, etc. Pointless for many, but useful for me. The digital music experience is whatever you make of it and it is so easy it's almost effortless. But if some folks need the limitations of records to force themselves into a quality listening experience, I think they should get the records. Or some ADD meds. If they like the way their turntable sounds better, that's a bonus.

Tim

Or, they prefer the sound of vinyl and the experience of not having to swipe a piece of glass is the bonus. I appreciate why you listen to digital. I've got too much computer/2D/digital/user interface/iphone stuff in my daily life that I don't want more of it to listen to music. Like many things in life, it is great to have options. It will be interesting to see how the industry responds to this increased demand and it is a sign of hope for the future. I think this report and others should be celebrated.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Dunno. I have yet to see the first millenial at an audio show or at a high-end dealer, drooling over TTs.

That's very common. They drool, they like the visuals, and even the improved SQ. The problem is getting $$$ out of them :D They'd rather spend $50 on a new LP than $500 on a proper turntable...

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That's very common. They drool, they like the visuals, and even the improved SQ. The problem is getting $$$ out of them :D They'd rather spend $50 on a new LP than $500 on a proper turntable...
The ones spending $50 on an LP quite likely already have something like an entry-level Pro-ject or Rega. Getting them to commit to a higher level is the really difficult part.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Trust me, they don't. Or at least many don't.
I asked a couple who were buying $300 worth of LPs, including some rare used ones at $80, and they had some p.o.s. Crosley. When I delicately pointed out they'd be ruining their purchase by playing it on the Crosley, their eyes jumped...

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

Don't worry. Buying LPs will get old fast, especially after scratching a good LP. Add in a broken stylus here and there, and the vinyl resurgence will soon start reversing.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Trust me, they don't. Or at least many don't.
I asked a couple who were buying $300 worth of LPs, including some rare used ones at $80, and they had some p.o.s. Crosley. When I delicately pointed out they'd be ruining their purchase by playing it on the Crosley, their eyes jumped...
I've not personally come across that myself, but undoubtedly there are situations like this. In any event, their money is being spent primarily on the media and gear is secondary. Hopefully some will see the light and recognize that a good musical experience comes from combining an investment in both media and gear. We'll have to see.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Don't worry. Buying LPs will get old fast, especially after scratching a good LP. Add in a broken stylus here and there, and the vinyl resurgence will soon start reversing.
Perhaps the loudness wars got them to say......WTF? There has to be a better way!:p

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I've not personally come across that myself, but undoubtedly there are situations like this. In any event, their money is being spent primarily on the media and gear is secondary. Hopefully some will see the light and recognize that a good musical experience comes from combining an investment in both media and gear. We'll have to see.

Maybe they have already seen the light and are having musical experiences that are just fine on their less than stellar hardware. It's conceivable. Don't forget that "audiophiles" are an (obsessive compulsive) anomaly (and small majority) among music lovers. The majority of people (millenials and otherwise) fully appreciate music on their crappy systems, and consider spending inordinate amounts on hardware to squeeze a bit more resolution out of their reproduced music complete insanity (which for them it is).

This does not mean they have not seen the light yet. In fact, they have seen the light (i.e. appreciation of music), but it not the audiophile light. I'll go further and propose that some music lovers living in the darkness with crappy systems actually appreciate music MORE becuase they are not distracted from the music by concern about the state of their audio system and the sample rate of the recording they are listening to. Not diminishing the genuine love of music that is no doubt inspiring the majority of audiophiles to build their systems, but let's not diminish others that don't share our passion for gear and technology (because let's face it - we do).

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
This does not mean they have not seen the light yet. In fact, they have seen the light (i.e. appreciation of music), but it not the audiophile light. I'll go further and propose that some music lovers living in the darkness with crappy systems actually appreciate music MORE becuase they are not distracted from the music by concern about the state of their audio system and the sample rate of the recording they are listening to.

Completely true.

Not diminishing the genuine love of music that is no doubt inspiring the majority of audiophiles to build their systems, but let's not diminish others that don't share our passion for gear and technology (because let's face it - we do).

I agree here as well. However, once an audiophile, who has not forgotten his love for music, has put together a great system and has learned to forget about sound issues and to just concentrate on the music, he can in this state of mind obtain considerably greater appreciation of music than on a crappy system -- simply because a great system allows you to hear more of the music, and in a clearer and more viscerally involving manner.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
who cares why they like it - analog is probably the only way the high end will survive, so any way more people are listening is a good thing

taters

Jun 6, 2012
The ones spending $50 on an LP quite likely already have something like an entry-level Pro-ject or Rega. Getting them to commit to a higher level is the really difficult part.

The kids I see at record stores aren't buying 50.00 vinyl. I usually see them routing through the bargain bins.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I agree here as well. However, once an audiophile, who has not forgotten his love for music, has put together a great system and has learned to forget about sound issues and to just concentrate on the music, he can in this state of mind obtain considerably greater appreciation of music than on a crappy system -- simply because a great system allows you to hear more of the music, and in a clearer and more viscerally involving manner.

Some truth to this, but bona fide audiophiles (certainly the ones hanging out on WBF) never learn to "forget about it" (i.e. their system). This is not a criticism and I include myself among them. I just believe the "tinkering with system" and "love for music" are two intersecting but different hobbies.

taters

Jun 6, 2012
A couple of years ago I took some records over to Amoeba in Hollywood to sell. I got into a discussion with one of the buyers there and he told me he had a big record collection at home. I asked him what kind of TT he had and he said he didn't know. I believe the majority of record collectors are like this. They really don't care about the equipment they are playing there records on. Us audiophiles are a minuscule bunch. I think sometimes we just don't realize it.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Some truth to this, but bona fide audiophiles (certainly the ones hanging out on WBF) never learn to "forget about it" (i.e. their system). This is not a criticism and I include myself among them. I just believe the "tinkering with system" and "love for music" are two intersecting but different hobbies.

I haven't tinkered with my system in months, and feel no need to anymore at this point. So perhaps I am not a bona fide audiophile ;).

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I haven't tinkered with my system in months, and feel no need to anymore at this point. So perhaps I am not a bona fide audiophile ;).

Me either.

I spend my time listening to music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing