CNBC: Why Millennials Are Buying More Vinyl Records

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I don't care who's buying, selling or trading vinyl, I just hope it continues. I'm content to buy reissues because I think they're getting better and better. And whoever thought we'd see the shear volume of new releases coming now. I'm sitting here listening to a newly purchased reissue of Simon and Garfunkel - Concert in Central Park from 1981 and it sounds spectacular! It's a great time to listen to music on vinyl! Doesn't matter to me how we got here, I'm just grateful for the opportunity to enjoy all of this wonderful music on vinyl after I thought the format was DEAD.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Bold statement that I totally disagree with, but we are both speculating.

The industry has shrunk by half in the past 10 years. Analog can draw folks back into dealers as many would prefer expert setup.

several new dealers in SoCal are selling vinyl as well- smart move. The spotify gang isnt rushing out to the store.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Maybe they have already seen the light and are having musical experiences that are just fine on their less than stellar hardware. It's conceivable. Don't forget that "audiophiles" are an (obsessive compulsive) anomaly (and small majority) among music lovers. The majority of people (millenials and otherwise) fully appreciate music on their crappy systems, and consider spending inordinate amounts on hardware to squeeze a bit more resolution out of their reproduced music complete insanity (which for them it is).

This does not mean they have not seen the light yet. In fact, they have seen the light (i.e. appreciation of music), but it not the audiophile light. I'll go further and propose that some music lovers living in the darkness with crappy systems actually appreciate music MORE becuase they are not distracted from the music by concern about the state of their audio system and the sample rate of the recording they are listening to. Not diminishing the genuine love of music that is no doubt inspiring the majority of audiophiles to build their systems, but let's not diminish others that don't share our passion for gear and technology (because let's face it - we do).
Funny. I agree. I was describing elsewhere my experience when Led Zep 1 first came out- I had a crappy suitcase stereo; I jacked the output into a musical instrument amp, and then into a tall multi driver speaker cabinet I used for sound reinforcement (I played then). I can't tell you how much joy I got out of cranking the **** out of that album over a rig that was barely above Goodwill quality. Fast forward to now. Same album- (well, a few different pressings and not that very copy); one tube from the preamp is probably worth more than the whole 'kid' rig.
Measure of enjoyment, 46 years later, with all my years of audiophilia- almost the same as 1969! And I still have records from the era that I can play once I got a 'real' turntable- an AR XA, a year or so later. So, in terms of measuring joy, it almost doesn't matter, as long as the records aren't destroyed. And I go through hundreds and hundreds of used records, sometimes in a month, many of which probably had little better treatment by others from the late '60s being played over crappy systems- they survived, clean up in many, not all instances, and play great. No great truth here, other than whether you get the kick. If you don't, and have to chase the devil to get there, so be it.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I love the record store experience way to much.
I was at Lost In The Grooves in Mt. Vernon this past Sunday (all used for now, new coming soon) and we all had a blast, spinning old 45's from the late 60's through the 70's piped through good old fashioned giant Cerwin Vegas. The owner went total DJ on us calling it the AM Gold set.
Everyone was sharing memories of times past, educating the younger ones. We were all scooting around the store smiling and laughing.
This was not a planned event it just broke out!
At one point he did a accidental needle drop about 5 seconds in, needle hit the record and bounced up, less than a second and I named that tune in one note.
I love to sit and just listen to music, but I believe that what happened in that store is WHAT the music experience is about and prefer that to sitting in a dark room by myself.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I haven't tinkered with my system in months, and feel no need to anymore at this point. So perhaps I am not a bona fide audiophile ;).

Same here. Feels good. No more "what if".

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I haven't tinkered with my system in months, and feel no need to anymore at this point. So perhaps I am not a bona fide audiophile ;).

I believe you when you stop posting about the hardware and format side of this hobby :)

taters

Jun 6, 2012
The industry has shrunk by half in the past 10 years. Analog can draw folks back into dealers as many would prefer expert setup.

several new dealers in SoCal are selling vinyl as well- smart move. The spotify gang isnt rushing out to the store.

What new dealers are you referring to?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I believe you when you stop posting about the hardware and format side of this hobby :)

What does one have to do with the other?

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
I am glad to see that there is a new generation that appreciates the tactile experience of putting an LP on the table, sitting down with the jacket in hand and taking in the artwork and liner notes. More important, listening to and entire side before jumping up and moving on to something else. Downside as I see it: increased competition for quality used vinyl and the subsequent jump in pricing from places like Princeton Record Exchange.

The resurgence in the popularity of vinyl has also resulted in folks re-buying all the stuff they sold for pennies on the dollar to embrace CD and digital, only to discover that LP playback is "cool again"

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I am glad to see that there is a new generation that appreciates the tactile experience of putting an LP on the table, sitting down with the jacket in hand and taking in the artwork and liner notes. More important, listening to and entire side before jumping up and moving on to something else. Downside as I see it: increased competition for quality used vinyl and the subsequent jump in pricing from places like Princeton Record Exchange.

The resurgence in the popularity of vinyl has also resulted in folks re-buying all the stuff they sold for pennies on the dollar to embrace CD and digital, only to discover that LP playback is "cool again"

The tactile experience of putting an LP on a turntable has nothing to do with the music. With cleaning, playing with the tone arm, cuing it up, etc., it is just more ceremonial than playing a digital file. Going from one digital file to another in random and not listening to the entire recording is a problem of discipline and one's level attention. It is not part of the music. I don't give a rat's ass about the liner notes or album art. That's not the music either. I don't care what someone else thinks about the artist or their music. I make my own determinations.

Don't underestimate the power of, as you said, LP playback is "cool again" regarding album sales.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The tactile experience of putting an LP on a turntable has nothing to do with the music. With cleaning, playing with the tone arm, cuing it up, etc., it is just more ceremonial than playing a digital file. Going from one digital file to another in random and not listening to the entire recording is a problem of discipline and one's level attention. It is not part of the music. I don't give a rat's ass about the liner notes or album art. That's not the music either. I don't care what someone else thinks about the artist or their music. I make my own determinations.

Don't underestimate the power of, as you said, LP playback is "cool again" regarding album sales.

I completely disagree with this view. The experience/ritual of putting on an LP, clamping it down, cleaning it, lowering the stylus and waiting for it to softly settle into the groove is an event of anticipation, and adds to the overall enjoyment. That exercise may not be music but IMO compliments it significantly. And while I make up my own mind about what music I like or not, I appreciate reading the liner notes and where the album was recorded, who participated on it musically and from a production aspect, and various other bits of information.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
How many times can you read album notes? I guess if your memory is poor then every time you play an album. That logic to rationalize vinyl reminds me of smokers who can't quit because smoking gives them something to do with their hands. :)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I completely disagree with this view. The experience/ritual of putting on an LP, clamping it down, cleaning it, lowering the stylus and waiting for it to softly settle into the groove is an event of anticipation, and adds to the overall enjoyment. That exercise may not be music but IMO compliments it significantly. And while I make up my own mind about what music I like or not, I appreciate reading the liner notes and where the album was recorded, who participated on it musically and from a production aspect, and various other bits of information.

I don't read liner notes, but vinyl looks great on a shelf and is a natural conversation piece as well. Spotify isn't.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
How many times can you read album notes? I guess if your memory is poor then every time you play an album. That logic to rationalize vinyl reminds me of smokers who can't quit because smoking gives them something to do with their hands. :)
No need to get condescending. My memory is just fine.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

If, as Johnny describes it, reading liner notes is analogous to "foreplay", it may be repetitive in nature, but it never gets old.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

Different strokes for different folks. You see that as enjoyment, I see it as wasting precious moments in my life.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Different strokes for different folks. You see that as enjoyment, I see it as wasting precious moments in my life.
Nothing wrong with differing opinions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing