Changes Are Coming

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I know the early history of Magnepan and how they were tied into ARC. They could be a wonderful combo for all I know. I think that Magnepan uses SS when they demo at shows and their website doesn't mention using tubes. As for differentiating between a SS receiver and a quality SS amp/integrated, I'm sure you are right. I was under the impression that Magenpan speakers like current.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I wonder if Magnepan would feel the same? Magnepan recommends SS amps to drive their speakers and not just any old SS amps. They want SS amps with beefy power supplies that can double the output power with each halving of the impedance and tubes don't fit that equation.

Maggies do like current but tubes work well with Maggies. My VT-100 has driven my IIIas, 1.6s, and now 1.7s.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Maggies do like current but tubes work well with Maggies. My VT-100 has driven my IIIas, 1.6s, and now 1.7s.

Lee-If your VT-100 can drive your Maggies, I'm sure the REF75 could drive them just fine. The amount of energy storage in the REF75 is bigger than the VT-100. The VT-100 has 270 Joules of energy storage and the REF75 has 520.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Lee-If your VT-100 can drive your Maggies, I'm sure the REF75 could drive them just fine. The amount of energy storage in the REF75 is bigger than the VT-100. The VT-100 has 270 Joules of energy storage and the REF75 has 520.

Good point, thanks. I did not have time to check the specs yet. Almost double, wow.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The ARC REF 75 arrived today. The timing was incredible as the freight truck arrived today at my house at 12:00 to pick up my Krell KSA-250 to ship it to its new owner in CA. The REF 75 seems to be WAY heavier than the stated weight. The packing box is huge. I currently have it installed in my system with my music server playing tunes through it. ARC says to expect 600 hours of break-in time before it settles in. Here are some pictures:

DSC_0400.jpg DSC_0401.jpg DSC_0402.jpg DSC_0403.jpg DSC_0404.jpg

I'm still waiting for the Nola KOs to be built and shipped to me. I hope they will be here sometime in May.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
The ARC REF 75 arrived today. The timing was incredible as the freight truck arrived today at my house at 12:00 to pick up my Krell KSA-250 to ship it to its new owner in CA. The REF 75 seems to be WAY heavier than the stated weight. The packing box is huge. I currently have it installed in my system with my music server playing tunes through it. ARC says to expect 600 hours of break-in time before it settles in. Here are some pictures:

I'm still waiting for the Nola KOs to be built and shipped to me. I hope they will be here sometime in May.

Congratulations Mark. What are you going to do about a preamp?

Dre

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I currently have my Krell KRC-HR up for sale and then I will buy my next preamp. ;)
ref 75.jpg

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I'm going to swing for the fences (for me) for a new ARC preamp.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
A pair of Ref 10 phono and pre would be swinging for the ARC fence... :)

Dre

Yeah, but notice I said "for me." I would be tickled pink with the REF 5SE.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Congrats Mark. Hope you have many, many years of enjoyment.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks guys/ Right now it's outgassing from all of the components being heated up. Instead of the "new car smell", you have the "new electronics smell." I believe this amp has the potential to be something very special after break-in. Every hour I listen to it is better than the hour before it. I have read numerous accounts of people describing the changes of sound they go through during the break-in process and it doesn't always seem to be a linear process. This is not something I normally go through because of buying used components. It would be odd to hear the sound improving over time and then suddenly nosedive before it gets better again.

Did I say I haven't missed my KSA-250 since it was loaded on the semi yesterday?

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Congratulations Mark! I'm exceedingly happy for you and hope it makes for a great match with everything else in your system and the new NOLA's. Do enjoy my friend!:D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The REF 5SE just arrived tonight and I have it unpacked and installed. That's 2/3 of my upgrade which for me is gigantic. Now if those Nola KOs would only show up!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
The REF 5SE just arrived tonight and I have it unpacked and installed. That's 2/3 of my upgrade which for me is gigantic. Now if those Nola KOs would only show up!

dayum!:cool:

what phono stage you using nowadays?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
dayum!:cool:

what phono stage you using nowadays?

I'm still using my Krell KPE Ref phono stage. It's a damn good phono stage with tons of gain and loading options.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing