Changes Are Coming

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Big changes, Mark. The REF75 sounds really great - if it was not for my need of some extra power and bass control for some of the speakers that sometimes show (or can show ... ;)) in my room it would will would be my choice.

Be prepared for an ARC preamp soon or later - remember than an used REF3 is a great preamplifier. If you ever find an LS5 mk3 do not hesitate - it would sound great with the REF75, and although very rare they usually go for very nice prices.

I owned a Ref lll and agree. It was a wonderful preamp. I used it with my ARC ref 600 Mk lll with no problem.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
75 watts of tube power.....your Krell was a beast at what...250wpc? Help me to understand!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Big changes, Mark. The REF75 sounds really great - if it was not for my need of some extra power and bass control for some of the speakers that sometimes show (or can show ... ;)) in my room it would will would be my choice.

Be prepared for an ARC preamp soon or later - remember than an used REF3 is a great preamplifier. If you ever find an LS5 mk3 do not hesitate - it would sound great with the REF75, and although very rare they usually go for very nice prices.

Thanks for the tips Francisco. I know you have lots of experience with ARC gear.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Congrats Mark... I've heard the Ref 75 with Alexia's many times. Outstanding amp. Now you're on the upgrade path to the Nola Grand Reference Gold!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Excellent choices. My recent speaker purchase came down to the Crecendos vs. the KO's, and I'm sure I would have been happy either way.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Congratulations mep. I trust you will be a very happy audio camper.

GG

mep

Apr 20, 2010
75 watts of tube power.....your Krell was a beast at what...250wpc? Help me to understand!

John-The speakers I just sold were over 90dB efficient and the speakers I just bought are 90dB efficient so honestly, I never needed the power the Krell KSA-250 is capable of. I can promise you the KSA-250 was loafing along in pure Class A. Also, you have to remember that 75 tube watts will sound just as loud as 2000 SS watts. :p And yeah, that last sentence as a joke so nobody get their panties in a bunch. Seriously, having heard the KOs with the Ref 75 playing into a large room (Carl paid for a suite and not the typical small hotel room), I can tell you the REF 75 will play at very high volumes very cleanly with a speaker rated for 90dB efficiency. If you do the simple math and realize that in order to raise the sound pressure level by 3dB that you have to double the output power, you can quickly see that the NOLA KOs will put out 108dB with 64 watts of input power.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Congrats Mark... I've heard the Ref 75 with Alexia's many times. Outstanding amp. Now you're on the upgrade path to the Nola Grand Reference Gold!

If I hit the lottery! Does that mean I have to play the lottery first?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Excellent choices. My recent speaker purchase came down to the Crecendos vs. the KO's, and I'm sure I would have been happy either way.

I appreciate your positive comments and I'm glad you like the KOs as well. Unfortunately, it seems you and I don't agree as much as I wish we would so it's great to find some common ground with you.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Congratulations mep. I trust you will be a very happy audio camper.

GG

Thanks Bro. I sure hope I am a happy camper when the dust settles. I have high expectations which is always dangerous.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
congrats Mark, big steps up in both speakers and amp.

I'm happy for you.

Thanks Mike. I am excited about the changes. I haven't let all of the cats out of the bag yet because there will be something different about the way my KOs will be built vice the current production and I should have one of the first KOs with the new change.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...Unfortunately, it seems you and I don't agree as much as I wish we would so it's great to find some common ground with you.
Only because you are so dogmatic and inflexible :D;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Only because you are so dogmatic and inflexible :D;)

But I'm catmatic too because I own both cats and dogs and I'm as flexible as a Yoga instructor on muscle relaxers. Does that mean we disagree again? :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John-The speakers I just sold were over 90dB efficient and the speakers I just bought are 90dB efficient so honestly, I never needed the power the Krell KSA-250 is capable of. I can promise you the KSA-250 was loafing along in pure Class A. Also, you have to remember that 75 tube watts will sound just as loud as 2000 SS watts. :p And yeah, that last sentence as a joke so nobody get their panties in a bunch. Seriously, having heard the KOs with the Ref 75 playing into a large room (Carl paid for a suite and not the typical small hotel room), I can tell you the REF 75 will play at very high volumes very cleanly with a speaker rated for 90dB efficiency. If you do the simple math and realize that in order to raise the sound pressure level by 3dB that you have to double the output power, you can quickly see that the NOLA KOs will put out 108dB with 64 watts of input power.

Thanks Mark for the explanation. I was just trying to get my head around the difference in output wattage and not anything else...least of all your decision. I'm an audio noob or ignorant of things technical.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks Mike. I am excited about the changes. I haven't let all of the cats out of the bag yet because there will be something different about the way my KOs will be built vice the current production and I should have one of the first KOs with the new change.

teases are always fun.......and firstest is cool.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing